Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "throw a cast over by that rock, there's ALWAYS a fish over there" Steve Worrall
- (Added by: Slamr)

Moderators: sworrall, Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

More Muskie Fishing -> Muskie Club Information and Announcements -> Best of the Best Tournament

Message Subject: Best of the Best Tournament
jazon
Posted 10/14/2006 8:42 PM (#214787)
Subject: Best of the Best Tournament

Only 16 teams in the tournament. Too bad but fishing was good. 28 fish on day one. Biggest 47.5" and also a 47" and two 45's. Tommorow the wind is suppose to down a little so who knows? Will post tommorow with the final results. Jay

Edited by jazon 10/14/2006 8:49 PM
jimfc3
Posted 10/14/2006 8:49 PM (#214789 - in reply to #214787)
Subject: RE: Best of the Best Tournament

well who won?
jazon
Posted 10/14/2006 8:51 PM (#214791 - in reply to #214789)

The tourney goes until one tommorow afternoon. Sorry for the confusion. Jay
MuskieE
Posted 10/15/2006 5:29 AM (#214810 - in reply to #214787)

how about posting some pictures too.
Reef Hawg
Posted 10/15/2006 11:22 AM (#214833 - in reply to #214787)

Was out yesterday watching the tourney. Wish we had enterred, fun day. Saw some of the tourney fish caught too. Good run right at noon-2 then quiet. Very polite people, and looked to be well run. Noticed they allowed two lines, and most were trolling, though we did watch some casters catch fish.

Edited by Reef Hawg 10/15/2006 6:52 PM
jazon
Posted 10/15/2006 6:47 PM (#214869 - in reply to #214810)

I will get the pictures up soon. I need some time to sort through the pictures. We had 19 fish registered today. That gives us a two day total of 47 fish. The biggest three were 47 1/2", 47 1/4" and 47". Tim Pinks and Mike Smith from the Quad City Hawg Hunters won the tourney with 78 points winning by 1 point. Jay
Reelwise
Posted 10/15/2006 9:18 PM (#214893 - in reply to #214787)

Tim Pinks and Mike Smith... 2 pimps. Yeeaaaaaahhhhhh boi

Edited by Reelwise 10/16/2006 8:59 AM
jlong
Posted 10/16/2006 6:40 AM (#214918 - in reply to #214893)

16 boats registered 47 fish!!!!! Holy numbers BAT MAN!!! And size ta boot!

Kudos to the WI DNR for establishing a World Class fishery in an amazingly short amount of time. Imagine what the future holds!

Congrats to the winners too... of course.
Herb_b
Posted 10/16/2006 8:14 AM (#214940 - in reply to #214787)

So, are there any "Average of the average" tourneys? That would be about my speed. LOL

A few possible names for such an "average" tournament:
"The regular Joe tournament"
"The weekend warrior tournament"
"The fish-when-we-can tournament"

Any other ideas?

I can see it now. "There were a total of 52 fishermen that entered the Average Joe Muskie tournament. However, only 40 people actually fished. Five never showed up because their kids got sick, four didn't show up because they had to work the weekend, two didn't show up because they forgot about it and took their kids to the zoo instead, and one guy had his motor die the week before and couldn't get it fixed in time. Of the the 40 people that did fish, half had to leave at noon the first day because they had yard work and honey-do projects to do, and, of the remaining fisherman, all but two left after the end of the first day due to obligations on Sunday. The two men that did fish the second day left early in the morning because their wives called and told them to get home or they were in big trouble. (It seems they forgot to tell their wives what they were doing). There was a total of five Muskies caught in the tourney, but lengths were uncertain as most had forgotten their measuring devices and/or cameras. The winning fish was 43 inches and was caught by the one fisherman who caught a Muskie and had both a camera and a measuring tape in his boat."

Edited by Herb_b 10/16/2006 8:38 AM
Shep
Posted 10/16/2006 8:16 AM (#214942 - in reply to #214918)

Was a fun tourney, even though Wade and I sucked the big hinder. Lost a fish Sat morning, and it went down hill from there. Saw fish caught all around us, but just didn't get any hits.

Good deal for MI and the Titletown Chapter. Had teams from MO, CO, Ill, and MN come and catch some nice fish. Some that had zero hours on the water before Saturday. Congrats to the winners for a big Sunday! Well run tourney for a first effort. Some squeaks, but I'm sure they will be fixed for future tourneys.

Thanks to Kevin K and the WIDNR for creating a great fishery.
lambeau
Posted 10/16/2006 8:19 AM (#214943 - in reply to #214787)

47 fish by 16 boats over 2 days?
that's a 3 fish/boat average during a tournament...whereas i think most tournies average about 10-15% of the field for a catch rate. and with multiple fish in the mid-upper 40s?
WOW.
Jimbo
Posted 10/16/2006 8:24 AM (#214944 - in reply to #214943)

Can you say "Fox River Zoo". I know it wasn't a big secret before but with word of the results
of this tourney they will be coming from all over. I only work 1 mile away and have never tried
it for muskies but I am going to now.
Reef Hawg
Posted 10/16/2006 8:34 AM (#214947 - in reply to #214787)

I agree, thanks to the DNR for helping create the fishery. We must not foget Gene allen and his club as it was their idea to get this thing going again, not the DNR's. Gene contacted our club(before my involvement as I was 10) in the early 80's and we were supplying all of the fish at the time for the restocking(all barred fish, which some monsters of still remeain/have been caught). They then started working with Wild Rose hatchery to get the spotties going. Just want to give credit where credit is due. The DNR has done an amazing job of taking the lead and continuing what some of the clubs began. One of the fish we got was fin clipped Sat. Does anyone have record of the fish caught in the tourney fin clipped vs. not, tagged, etc? Thanks!

Edited by Reef Hawg 10/16/2006 8:37 AM
Jomusky
Posted 10/16/2006 8:53 AM (#214955 - in reply to #214947)

Jason is right.

Gene Allen and Dave's Musky Club are responsible for starting the spotted musky reintroduction to Green Bay and the Winnebago system. All the fish are raised by the DNR. Gene Allen takes care of the feed program for the hatchery fish. All the minow bills(and it can be some serious $$$) go right to him. Other clubs have helped out with the funds too. Including the Wisconsin Alliance, C & R Musky Club, Winnebagoland Musky Club, Packerland Musky Club and I think Titletown even pitched in already. In recent years the fund was bolstered by the papermills settlement from the PCB thing. So if you go and don't like looking at the mills, remember that they have flipped some of the bill for the fish.

Kevin Kapuscinski was the Green Bay biologist, and is a musky fanatic and friend of mine, he did the scientific research and egg harvesting. He is a big part of why higher numbers of fish are being raised for the stocking. It probably wouldn't hurt to turn some screws as his position has not been filled as far as I know and I would hate to see the program suffer because of this. Wouldn't it be great if we could get Jordan Weeks in Green Bay!

That's all I can think of right now.

jazon
Posted 10/16/2006 9:09 AM (#214959 - in reply to #214947)

I couldn't agree more with Reef Hawg. Gene Allen is for lack of a better term the Godfather of this program. With out all of his work through the years this fisherie would not be were it is today. I would say the DNR deserves credit also. When the program started they were more than willing to do the work with the help of all the local clubs. Its just a great story.

Jay Zahn
President Titletown Muskies Inc.
happy hooker
Posted 10/16/2006 9:15 AM (#214962 - in reply to #214787)

Great numbers,,,Looks like a new 'Destination" for people..maybe Vermillion can get a breather now
Gander Mt Guide
Posted 10/16/2006 10:14 AM (#214979 - in reply to #214787)

this tourny sure wasn't advertised, I saw a poster for it at Sportsman's Warehouse on Saturday. Good sponsors, great area....should have been hyped up more.
MuskyGB
Posted 10/16/2006 10:21 AM (#214982 - in reply to #214787)

Hey good job. I havn't heard of any slobs comming out of there in the fall at all in years on the boards? Are they not in the river at this time yet?
Get er done.
Shep
Posted 10/16/2006 10:54 AM (#214987 - in reply to #214982)

Take a peak at the front page. I got that one a week ago.

As for my tourney effort, well, let's just say that I wish the tourney was the weekend before. 50.5, 45, 38, 36 on Saturday and 36, 35 on Sunday morning. And I only fished 3 hours on Sunday.

The thing we did notice, other than the water being down, was the clarity. I don't remember seeing the water that clear, ever. we could see the cavitation plate on the big motor. Makes me think my loud and bright approach may have been too loud, and too bright. Although the one fish that hit, did so on loud and bright. I may have to fing an alternative favorite bait! hehehe

Yes, I guess this tourney could have been adverised better, locally. However, it was on websites, in the Muskie Magazine, and I think also in Musky Hunter, but don't quote me on that. The fact that about six teams came from MO and CO says they heard about it, but they were MI members. So if you are not an MI member, perhaps you should be, and then you'll be in the know, just like me!
dogboy
Posted 10/16/2006 12:25 PM (#215010 - in reply to #214787)

dont feel bad shep, we thought just like you did, we cant go wrong by getting in this thing, we have been doing so well lately, and BAM! schooled by out-of-staters.
I only blame our defeat on ourselves, as we did not stick to the gameplan we had come up withon saturday. We were like chickens with our heads cut off. Then, sunday, we stuck to it, and landed 6th place, not that great, but better than what we did the first day.

I thought it was pretty well run. other than 1-3 judge boats running to every fish that was caught, each judgeboat should stay in their station unless there are more boats in an area that need help. There was a lot of commotion going on when fish were put in the net.

Im sure with the amount of fish caught per low # of anglers, next year there will prolly be a bigger turn out, good or bad, it still shows that our fishery here is top notch! Lots of small fish that are on there way to becoming giants, along with a good population of trophy fish.

We noticed the shad are starting to thicken, and a drop in the water table from the seiche affect created a few different patterns that worked for everyone. fish were kinda scattered about the water, and from our standpoint, we saw a lot of anglers picking fish off in no-mans land. Makes you wonder.

All in all, a well run gig for a low number of anglers only meant more pieces of the pie to go around.
jazon
Posted 10/16/2006 12:40 PM (#215012 - in reply to #215010)

Will have some pictures from this weekends tourney on as soon as I reduce the size of them. Jay

Edited by jazon 10/16/2006 12:47 PM
Derrys
Posted 10/16/2006 4:06 PM (#215083 - in reply to #214787)

Some people see Muskies Inc. members as being elitists and such, which isn't true, but it probably didn't help that stereotype to name this the Best of the Best Tournament.

Out of curiosity, how many of you who frequent this site and didn't fish it this year, might fish it next year? October 13-14, 2007. Same place, same body of water. I'd like to see this thing succeed as much as anyone, so I'm looking at how much interest is out there.

Thanks.
ChinWhiskers
Posted 10/16/2006 4:37 PM (#215089 - in reply to #214787)

Was there any prize money to go around , I was told that if they didn't get fifty boats to sign up they whoudn't have the contest. With all the fish caught I'm sure next year's Tournament will have a good turn out. Marv.
Reef Hawg
Posted 10/16/2006 4:37 PM (#215090 - in reply to #214787)

Hey, as an aside, I have one question. I was under the assumption that in WI, Muskies in a judge boat tournament situation, had to meet the statewide 34" minimum. When we raised the limit on the WI River, and ToddF was contacted by the local DNR law enforcement sup and told that all fish in the tourney would now have to be 45" for the tourney to be legal, he nearly strangled me as I was told the opposite. Once the smoke settled, it was determined that we could hold the tourney and allow fish to be measured at the statewide limit of 34" as long as the fish was not transported. My next question is how many fish under 34" were caught in the tourney, and if it would have even made a difference. Not sure if I hold an opinion on it one way or the other though I lean toward the 34"(not sure why). It would/could alter the way one fishes tournaments if other tourney directors catch wind of this, and begin to allow the smaller fish to be registerred... Thoughts..?..
jazon
Posted 10/16/2006 6:27 PM (#215120 - in reply to #214787)

here are some pictures

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(muskiefirst1.bmp)

(muskiefirst2.bmp)

(muskiefirst3.bmp)

(best of the best 1.bmp)

(best of the best 2.bmp)

(best of the best 3.bmp)

(best of the best 4.bmp)

(best of the best 5.bmp)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments muskiefirst1.bmp (87KB - 120 downloads)
Attachments muskiefirst2.bmp (77KB - 94 downloads)
Attachments muskiefirst3.bmp (155KB - 101 downloads)
Attachments best of the best 1.bmp (87KB - 91 downloads)
Attachments best of the best 2.bmp (155KB - 92 downloads)
Attachments best of the best 3.bmp (87KB - 83 downloads)
Attachments best of the best 4.bmp (87KB - 109 downloads)
Attachments best of the best 5.bmp (87KB - 105 downloads)
MRoberts
Posted 10/16/2006 10:20 PM (#215178 - in reply to #215090)

Jason, when working with the Oneida county biologist on the Pelican Lake 50” limit. (Which by the way was officially adopted by the Natural Resource Board and recently passed legislative review and was officialy printed in the State Administrative Register, and will take effect April 1, 2007.) He told us that when holding an immediate release tourney (judge boats) the minimum size could be set at whatever the tourney directors would like. The reason for this is that they don’t consider the fish ever in possession. Now he approves the tournament permits for Oneida County, I wonder if different county biologist can take different views on this. It is clear though from most of the tourney reg. stuff (new and old) that the State position on immediate release tournaments is they don’t constitute possession of the fish by the angler.

Hope that helps.

Great job on the tourney guys, sounds like it was a great time.

Nail A Pig!

Mike
MRoberts
Posted 10/16/2006 10:20 PM (#215179 - in reply to #215090)

P.S. How many fish over 40? How many over 45? Thanks

Nail A Pig!

Mike

Edited by MRoberts 10/16/2006 10:21 PM
jazon
Posted 10/17/2006 6:18 AM (#215200 - in reply to #215179)

Here is the breakdown of the tourney.

30" to 34" 7 fish
34" to 39" 29 fish
40" to 47.5" 11 fish

There was a 47, 47.25, and 47.5 inch also 3 45's.
Shep
Posted 10/17/2006 8:03 AM (#215216 - in reply to #215200)

Jason, I saw your post on LL the other day. I wonder why so critical over there, but not a word here? What difference is there between registering a 30' vs a 34" or larger fish. I'm sure you have noted, as I have from past experience, that the smaller fish release much quicker, and easier, than larger fish. The fact that a fish would be in the net for maybe 2 more minutes would be no cause for concern, in my opinion. The tourney was well covered with judge boats, and none were more than a minute away.

What's a fledgling, anywway?

I don't know if there will another International tourney next year. Maybe just Chapter 4 will hold it, maybe there won't be one at all? I guess that will be discussed over the next few months. If there is, great. We'll work to iron out some of the gliches, and make this tourney bigger and better.

As for the payout, the winners got $3200, 2nd got $950+. There were 2 $500 drawings, lot's of great raffle prizes. Thanks to all the great sponsors who stepped up and supported the tourney.
Reef Hawg
Posted 10/17/2006 9:36 AM (#215234 - in reply to #214787)

Mike, interesting. Our local biologists/law enforcement just read the rule differently to us. I was told by them that the size of the fish had to at least meet the state minimum, period. That said, I don't see M.I. holding a tourney, not knowing/abiding by local laws. I was just surprised to see the tourney rules, after I had been told differently by officials here a couple years ago.

Shep, not a word about it here? Read my post above... I think both you and I know it is a stretch to say that fish are/were held no longer than 2 minutes in an immediate release tournament situation. Overall from what I witnessed, I feel that this tourney was as well run as any I've seen/been in. My partner and I did watch a few fish sit in the net for over 2 minutes, one longer than 10, waiting to be judged. We helped several times, in directing judge boats to anglers with fish in the net. This is not the fault of the tourney, as I beleive there were more than enough judges out there. This happened in one stretch of river where one particular judge boat did not seem to have a good grasp of what was going on. I don't think it hurt the fish at all being in 47 degree water, but it is what we saw. I assume that marine radios were required for this event, as most of the dozen or so fish we saw registerred were reached very quickly, which is a good thing.

Again, I am not against the tourney at all, and wish I had had both days to fish it. I applaud the work that the local chapter is doing for the fishery that I enjoy. I just found it unusual that it was the only publicized, big $$ release tourney in WI(that I know of anyhow) that has allowed 30" fish to be registered. This being after we were told by Law enforcement brass that we had to do it differently when holding a local tourney. I have only fished the Fox in the cool water months, and they all release very quickly(as fast as I've seen fish release anywhere). I do agree that a 30" would probably revive quicker than a 45". I do think that there could be a bit more incidence of net damage and/or lure damage to a small fish kept for long periods in the net, but I doubt anyone allows the fish to remain hooked till a judge boat arrives either.

Learning from this situation, one could legally hold a tourney for Muskies and allow any sized fish to be registered. It is something that surprised me greatly, though I have now been educated and will keep my yap shut on the issue.

Fledgling: 3.One that is new.

Edited by Reef Hawg 10/17/2006 9:51 AM
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)