Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Madison Muskie School!

Message Subject: Madison Muskie School!
Decoy
Posted 11/27/2005 11:27 AM (#166624)
Subject: Madison Muskie School!

Will the Madison Muskies Inc. hold their Muskie School in 2006? If so what is the date?

Thanks
ShaneW
Posted 11/27/2005 4:30 PM (#166643 - in reply to #166624)
Subject: RE: Madison Muskie School?

Decoy,

So far it looks like March 18th is the date of the CCMI Musky School. The school's a great time with a lot of solid instructors and is well worth the cost of entry. Hope to see you there.

Shane
Decoy
Posted 11/27/2005 7:51 PM (#166668 - in reply to #166643)

Thanks Shane, I attended in 2004 but was out of commission in 2005, but hope to be there in 06.
ShaneW
Posted 11/27/2005 8:03 PM (#166670 - in reply to #166668)

I haven't seen who's on the lineup card for this year but I saw Steve Worrall and Lee Tauchen give a great poolside demo on jerkbaits last year.

Shane
sworrall
Posted 11/28/2005 7:39 AM (#166712 - in reply to #166670)

I'm in again this year for sure. Great event for a top shelf Muskie club! As soon as the event schedule is ready, we will have it posted.
Donnie
Posted 11/28/2005 7:55 AM (#166715 - in reply to #166624)

You go to the butcher, and do you call him Butch? NO....but you chase one bait...hmmm.

See what happens? You chase ONE lure into the water, and you're no longer a poolside demonstrator, but a muskie.....hmmmm.....
sworrall
Posted 11/28/2005 8:14 AM (#166718 - in reply to #166715)

You be a fish, dude, did it to yourself. It's no woder you catch so many, they see you as family...
Donnie3737
Posted 11/28/2005 1:24 PM (#166754 - in reply to #166624)

Worrall,

You are right...yep, I did it to myself! It is truly an awesome day...I enjoy it strictly for the boys being able to come and listen to so many great instructors and teachers.

I can tell you that I learn alot every single year!

Donnie
Posted 11/28/2005 3:42 PM (#166767 - in reply to #166624)

I hope Matt Polman is at the school fished with him twice on two different Madison Chain Lakes got 9 fish and then only four the other time.Probably the best all around fisherman I have ever fished with.Bill
Geoff
Posted 1/21/2006 11:10 PM (#173249 - in reply to #166767)

"Intermediate & Advanced Muskie School - March 18th"

This year the 5th annual Intermediate and Advanced Muskie school will be held by CCMI at the Waunakee High School on Saturday March 18th, 2006. Here's the program:

5th ANNUAL CAPITAL CITY CHAPTER OF MUSKIES, INC.
“INTERMEDIATE & ADVANCED METHODS - MUSKIE SCHOOL”

Saturday. March 18. 2006
Waunakee High School

7:30 Doors open, Check-in, coffee & donuts

8:20 Welcome & Kick-off (Auditorium) - All Participants at the Auditorium

8:30–9:00:

The Great Debate: “Moon Phases & Muskies”: FACT OR FICTION?

9:00–10:25:
9:00 A) Poolside Demonstration – Plastics, Jigs & Crank Baits: Strategies & Methods
9:00 B) Make Your Own Lures (PART 1) – Overview & Crankbaits – hands-on workshop
9:00 C) Sucker Fishing – Strategies & Techniques
9:00 D) Sonar, Fish finders & Marine Electronics - Latest technology & Operation
9:00 E) Boat Control (approaching spots, tips on using trolling motors, drift socks, etc)
9:00 F) GPS: How to use the thing! Class & Field exercise
9:00 G) Spring Muskie Fishing Techniques – Getting ready for the opener

10:25 -10:35 Break

10:35 – Noon:
10:35 A) Poolside Demonstration - Topwater, Jerkbaits, Crankbaits, others:
Strategies & Methods. This is a hands-on session.
10:35 B) Make Your Own Lures (PART 2) – Topwater & painting/coating lures - hands-on workshop
10:35 C) GPS: How to use the thing! Class & Field exercise
10:35 D) Trolling (Motor & Row) All about trolling.
10:35 E) Fishing the Madison Chain (panel discussion by experts) – Effective local Techniques
10:35 F) Muskie Fishing in Minnesota Waters
10:35 G) Muskie Fishing in Oneida & Vilas Counties

NOON—1:00 LUNCH (Lunch is provided and is included in your fee)
“How-To Workshops” on: 1) Making solid and stranded steel leaders, 2) Making fluorocarbon leaders, 3) Photography–Taking excellent photos 4) Knot tying techniques,
5) Boat, Motor & Trailer maintenance, 6) Handling/netting & releasing muskies 7) GPS – Questions & Answers

1:00-2:30

1:00 A) Poolside Demonstration – Topwater, Jerkbaits, Crankbaits, others:
Methods & Strategies. This is a hands-on session.
1:00 B) Make Your Own Lures (PART 3) – Bucktails/Spinnerbaits - hands-on workshop
1:00 C) Muskie Behavior - Scientific aspects of Muskies
1:00 D) Muskie Fishing in Minnesota Waters
1:00 E) Muskie Fishing in Sawyer County & NW Wisconsin
1:00 F) Fishing the Madison Chain (panel discussion by experts) – Effective local Techniques
1:00 G) Trolling (Motor & Row) All about trolling.

2:45-3:30 Raffle, Door prizes & Evaluation–turn in - All Participants at the Auditorium

How to register:

Select 3 sessions (use form below), mail the completed form & fee prior to 3-13-06 (fees are $25, $35 if paid after 3/13/06, $5 –Youth, under 18). Payable to “CCMI” mail to:
Muskie Class - CCMI P.O. Box 8862 Madison, WI 53708. You’ll receive your enrollment approval and map before the event. Park at the High School, a permit is not required. This is a public school property and therefore a no smoking facility. Wisconsin law prohibits smoking in or close to the building; violations may result in a fine. If you have questions call: Bill Wood at 608-849-7659, or Geoff Crandall 608-831-6020 email: [email protected]

“INTERMEDIATE & ADVANCED MUSKIE FISHING METHODS”
March 18, 2006 - Waunakee High School

Name ___________________________________

Address___________________________________

Select your preferred sessions and list them below:

8:20 ---------------- Welcome & “Moon Phase: Fact or Fiction” (Auditorium) - Everyone

9:00 _______________________________________

10:25 ________________________________________

Noon -1:00 Lunch will be provided (how-to workshops in lunch area)

1:00 ________________________________________

2:45 – 3:30 Evaluation-turn in, Raffle & Door Prizes (Auditorium) - Everyone

This school is provided in honor of Gil Hamm and as a thank you to conscientious, conservation-minded Muskie anglers everywhere.

Here's a link to the html version of the announcement & sign up sheet:

http://www.muskie411.com/clubforums/User_files/43bc8b321b0f0473.htm...

Pool Sessions are filling up - First Come, First Serve"

FYI - (As of 1-18-06) if you are interested in attending the school on March 18th and want to get into the hands-on pool sessions, we highly recommend you make your reservations soon. We are noticing that the 10:30-Noon and 1-2:30 pool sessions where students are allowed to "wet a line", under the supervision of an instructor, are getting heavy enrollment and expect that these classes will fill up in the near future. Once that happens we will have to shut off further enrollment for those particular classes. Two instructors will be working around the pool (one on either end)and each will be providing tips and advice to several students on the best ways to work various baits, etc.

There should be ample room in other classes and if arrangments are made prior to March 13th you'll get the lower rates.

The students are fortunate in that we will have some excellent, first-class instructors on the faculty this year. The instructors include Donnie Hunt (Eagle Lake expert, muskie impersonator and author) and Jeff Hanson a Madison area guide and expert. Also, Steve Worrall and Craig Eversoll (past CCMI President, currently the RVP) our presenters - debaters on the age old question of "Moon Phases". Is it Fact or Fiction? This will kick off the day and will be moderated allowing each presenter 10" to make their best arguments and then a few minutes rebuttal and we'll take a few questions from the floor. It should be quite a thought-provoking session and will probably leave you feeling either:pretty proud of your self for making your 2006 plans around a particular moon phase or pretty silly- not sure that it makes a bit if difference. Steve and Craig will also serve on the faculty for other sessions including jigs & plastics, Madiosn Chain, Knot tying, Boat control and fishing NW and NE Wisconsin.

We are using Waunakee High Schools newly remodeled faciltiy which is spectacular! It has a new pool, new auditorium, new classrooms, new common area - it'll be great! You will have many choices as there are many sessions as you can see by the program. These include row and power trolling by two experts; Jim Olson (who has written articles about row trolling and has built a beautiful wooden Cosine Wherry and will have that on display and has won tournaments in Vilas County with his methods) and Kevin Witt who has caught over 100 fish per year for two of the last three years power trolling mostly in the Madison area.

We'll have Donnie Hunt and hopefully Weston Hunt doing several sessions, John Eversoll who will lead an all-day track on how to make lures of all types along with Shane West (CCMI Boardmember and skilled lure maker). Scot Stewart the DNR fisheries expert will talk about the science of Muskies behavior, natural reproduction and maybe he'll get into the Leech Lake stocking experiment here in the Madison area. We'll have an all day track at poolside. Jerry Georgeson will cover A-Z on sucker fishing and will show you how to make your own sucker rigs, etc. Jim Strode from a Sawyer County guide will be an instructor. We will also have Kevin Wegner give a session all about Marine electronics and the latest developments in GPS/fishfinders/transcievers, etc....... We will have sessions concentratiing on Minnesota, NW and NE muskie waters this year and there will be a wealth of expertise of guides and very accomplished anglers who have spent thousands of hours fishing those waters and will be able to help you in a big way. Also, there will repeat sessions on "Fishing the Madison Chain". It will be taught by a panel of experts who really, really know that water and produce a high volume of fish annually. Last year CCMI members caught & released over 1200 fish and a good number of those were caught on the Madison chain. We have numerous speakers and I apologize for not listing them all. GPS hands-on class with a field exercise, etc..... (Lee Tauchen a regular instructor at this school over the past four years, unfortunately has a schedule conflict and will not be an instructor).

This is a unique opportunity to rub shoulders with Muskie experts who are hard at work planning their classes carefully (incorporting improvments suggested by students over several years) and will be fully prepared to help you truly learn something about the art and science of Muskie fishing. It's only $25 which includes coffee, donuts and a great hot lunch. We believe it is a tremendous opportunity for you to learn some things and get many of your questions answered.

This should be the best Muskie School we've ever held - hope you can attend!
Lee Tauchen
Posted 1/23/2006 12:42 AM (#173372 - in reply to #166624)

Just wanted to say sorry that I will not be attending the upcoming CCMI Muskie School. I will be tied up at the Minnesota Musky Expo that same weekend. I am sad to have to miss this event. Last year I drove back fri night from MN six hours in an ice storm to make it to the school on sat. Then back to MN right after the school. This season I am doing my own booth at the shows to promote my baits and guide service.

Let me say here, the CCMI staff and members alike are part of the most unique musky fishing learning experience that I am familar with and I have been proud to be part of it. So, if you have not experienced this event yet, well...you should! This is a class act!

Thanks again everyone.

Lee
Geoff
Posted 1/29/2006 10:22 PM (#174663 - in reply to #166624)

Lee we are going to miss you this year.

Update on school as of 1-29-06: It appears that we are about 2/3rds filled - we have approximately 65 now and we have enough room for a little over 100. It looks good. If you want pool session with hands on 10:30-Noon and 1-2:30 we have just a couple left.
However, there will plenty of room in the first pool session and in the other classes. Hope you can make it - it will be an excellent opportunity to talk with numerous fishing experts and get into some very helpful classes.
sworrall
Posted 2/2/2006 8:49 AM (#175284 - in reply to #174663)

There are still a few openings. This is a first class operation; sign UP!
campfire
Posted 2/2/2006 7:40 PM (#175393 - in reply to #166624)
Subject: RE: Madison Muskie School!

Looks like a great school. Check in da mail.
sworrall
Posted 2/2/2006 10:19 PM (#175422 - in reply to #175393)

Im happy to be a 'faculty' member again this year. The Madison Chapter are class act anglers, and know how to put on a SCHOOL!
Magruter
Posted 2/3/2006 9:09 AM (#175470 - in reply to #166624)

Still seats available for the hands on? If so i'll be sending mine in today. Thanks

Edited by Magruter 2/3/2006 9:19 AM
Geoff
Posted 2/3/2006 11:11 AM (#175478 - in reply to #166624)

As of this morning 2-3-06, the 1:00-2:30 class is full.

However, we have openings for the 10:35- noon hand-on pool session.

The 9:00-10:30 Muskie lure & presentation demonstration at poolside is open. It will be a demonstration at the new pool by several instructors (this is not a hands-on session)who will demonstrate how to use plastics & jigs, crankbaits,topwaters and show tips and demonstrate retrieval methods, etc.

To be fair to everyone, the classes are first come, first serve. If you move fast you can still get in 10:35-Noon hands-on pool session.

Many other excellent classes will be held all day as well.

Hope you can attend.

muskie! nut
Posted 2/3/2006 2:33 PM (#175502 - in reply to #166624)

Dean Geoff has spoken LOUDLY.

I just keep taking the classes, but never seem to graduate. 4 years so far and I don't think I have enough credits yet.
sworrall
Posted 2/5/2006 11:05 AM (#175690 - in reply to #175502)

Classes are stillavailable, so send the form in TODAY and get registered.
KidDerringer
Posted 2/7/2006 3:30 PM (#176065 - in reply to #166624)

Lay ouy looks like fun to me.
Wow!
Many, many things one could do to enjoy the day, improve ones fishing finding skills.
Very well set up.
Might have to check that out myself.

T.
sworrall
Posted 2/12/2006 11:28 PM (#176998 - in reply to #176065)

Looks like over 60 right now, so sign up soon if you are procrastinating!
Magruter
Posted 2/14/2006 12:02 PM (#177181 - in reply to #166624)

Finally got my check in the mail yesterday, thanks for the reminder...
esoxfever
Posted 2/16/2006 10:17 AM (#177596 - in reply to #166624)

any spots open for this school still? do you have to be a madison muskies inc member to attend?
BNelson
Posted 2/16/2006 10:18 AM (#177597 - in reply to #166624)

i believe there are still spots open
no, you do not have to be a Capital City club member....this is open to the public...

Geoff
Posted 2/16/2006 1:40 PM (#177659 - in reply to #166624)
Subject: RE: Madison Muskie School

Everyone is welcome! You do not need not be a member of the Capital City Chapter of Muskies Inc. to attend. Yes, as of today there is still room left. However, the hands-on instruction classes at poolside (10:30- Noon and 1-2:30) are now filled. The poolside demo of lures, plastics,jigs, etc. at 9:00 is open.

What we hope to do again this year is put all the emphasis on conducting an extremely high quality learning experience. It looks like all the pieces of the puzzle are fitting this year and it will be a very strong program. The debate on "Moon Phases- Fact or Fiction" is going to be real interesting. Steve Worrall will be taking the "pro" side and Craig Eversoll taking the "con" side of the issue. Steve has done some extensive research on this issue and Craig has done considerable analysis using data on at least the 7,000 entries from CCMI over the years. The debate will be interesting. We are very excited about it. Plus there are over two dozen sessions for students to chose taught by absolutely first-class, expert muskie anglers. Our instructors have caught who knows how many 50"+ muskies over the years, spent thousands of hours on the water and made many, many casts. As I understand it we have two instructors on the faculty who each have caught and released over 1,000 muskies. It's going to be a fun day and a tremendous learning opportunity for all students and faculty.
Hope you can attend!

gcrandall
Posted 2/16/2006 1:53 PM (#177663 - in reply to #177659)
Subject: RE: Madison Muskie School

Geoff - 2/16/2006 1:40 PM Everyone is welcome! <strong><em>You do not need to be a member of the Capital City Chapter of Muskies Inc. to attend.</em> (sorry about the typo) </strong>Yes, as of today there is still room left. However, the hands-on instruction classes at poolside (10:30- Noon and 1-2:30) are now filled. The poolside demo of lures, plastics,jigs, etc. at 9:00 is open. What we hope to do again this year is put all the emphasis on conducting an extremely high quality learning experience. It looks like all the pieces of the puzzle are fitting this year and it will be a very strong program. The debate on "Moon Phases- Fact or Fiction" is going to be real interesting. Steve Worrall will be taking the "pro" side and Craig Eversoll taking the "con" side of the issue. Steve has done some extensive research on this issue and Craig has done considerable analysis using data on at least the 7,000 entries from CCMI over the years. The debate will be interesting. We are very excited about it. Plus there are over two dozen sessions for students to chose taught by absolutely first-class, expert muskie anglers. Our instructors have caught who knows how many 50"+ muskies over the years, spent thousands of hours on the water and made many, many casts. As I understand it we have two instructors on the faculty who each have caught and released over 1,000 muskies. It's going to be a fun day and a tremendous learning opportunity for all students and faculty. Hope you can attend! :)
Pointerpride102
Posted 2/20/2006 1:10 PM (#178359 - in reply to #166624)

When do we get the conformation letter and directions?

Mike
Geoff
Posted 2/20/2006 11:06 PM (#178492 - in reply to #178359)

We sent nearly all of them out Saturday so they should arrive tomorrow or real soon.
Posted 2/21/2006 11:08 PM (#178732 - in reply to #166624)

Are there still spots open for the school?
Geoff
Posted 2/22/2006 7:47 AM (#178779 - in reply to #178732)

Yes, there is plenty of room.

Please note that the hands-on instruction classes at poolside (10:30- Noon and 1-2:30) are now filled however, all the other classes are open.

The form can be printed from earlier messages above (in this thread) or downloaded at:

http://www.capitalcitymuskiesinc.org/events.shtml

Please join us.

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)