Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Tale Told To Me, Now I'll Tell You (Quiet Counts?)

Message Subject: Tale Told To Me, Now I'll Tell You (Quiet Counts?)
Ranger
Posted 9/2/2003 4:45 PM (#80386)
Subject: Tale Told To Me, Now I'll Tell You (Quiet Counts?)

I was fishing a small lake Monday when I happened to chat with a regular. I see him all the time out there fishing for panfish. He has one of those small (10'?) plastic pontoon/boat things with an electric motor and he creeps slowly along, fishing straight down in 10-15' in the timber with an ultrlight spinning outfit.

He said he's become convinced that the very big muskies know the sound of people in a boat. Why? Because, he says he's usually so very quiet that he barely shuffles his feet on the carpeted floor. He said there's been a few times when HUGE muskies have surfaced next to him to take a look at what he is. He said, "I just know they came up because they couldn't figure out what they were hearing. They only come up when I've been quiet as a mouse, trying to not make a single sound. I never see them if I fish with my buddy or if I've been making any sort of regular racket."

So, isn't that interesting? Do any of you try to be silent so the big ones don't know you are around?
sworrall
Posted 9/2/2003 4:54 PM (#80387 - in reply to #80386)
Subject: RE: Tale Told To Me, Now I'll Tell You (Quiet Counts?)

No. If the fish were intelligent enough to relate noise=boat=anglers=lures=danger we would never catch a thing. It HAS been pretty much proven fish will move a bit out of the path of a motoring boat, but tuck right back in behind the rig. Consider the fact that propwash trolling works so well.

It IS a good story though.

stephendawg
Posted 9/2/2003 5:06 PM (#80388 - in reply to #80386)

Question for Mr. Worrall...

If silence is "Not" golden, then why do we tend to make long casts in clear water or turn off our electronics in areas we are familiar with when we think we may be among fish? Mr. Saric has written that as a trophy hunter he tends to try and be "stealthy". I would be stupid to argue with either of you but the question beckons none-the-less......

from another aimless angler who just wants to catch a "fatty"

sworrall
Posted 9/2/2003 5:41 PM (#80392 - in reply to #80388)

I make long casts in clear water because the fish seem  to stick pretty close to structure like reefs and weeds under those conditions if they are not suspended. If a fish moves out 3/4 casting distance after the lure, many times they will grab the lure and dash back for cover. If the boat is there, the strike turns into a follow, and the motion of the angler in the boat (mostly visual) is added to the equasion, adding non productive activity to the stimulous.

Powertrolling in the propwash is the loudest, most racket infested, NON sneaky method used, and works great; the fish are NOT wary or afraid of the boat.

Sonar noise is a constant, and the fish could care less about it. They have absolutely no concept what that noise is, have no ability to reason about it, and totally ignore it as a result. Vertical jigging walleyes, pike, bass, and panfish is a very successful method and the sonar is dead above the fish.

It is IMPOSSIBLE to 'sneak up' on a fish in a boat anyway. The angler moving about, talking, moving one's feet, using the trolling motor on the approach, waves hitting the hull, the reel noise down the line; all travel under water at 4800 feet per second announcing one's approach. Sure, one can keep sharp noises that might cause a fright/flight reaction to a minimum, but taking it any further is giving the muskie credit for smarts it simply doesn't have. Try this:

Go underwater with a snorkel, and get, say, 50' from the boat. Have a friend cast, talk, and move normally in the rig. You will be amazed.

Slamr
Posted 9/2/2003 5:58 PM (#80393 - in reply to #80386)

One more thing to think about: how does a fish usually "hear"? vibrations in the water....I was told by a muskie "pro" once that a muskie can FEEL a perch/sucker/whatever at about 50ft moving through the water. Even coming in slow and steady....what would a boat sound like?
AND: have you ever been out on a REALLY quiet day on the water, and you can hear your rattles in baits as they come to the boat? What do you think that sounds like to a fish who can feel the vibrations of a fish at a long distance? Probably like 3 raccoons in a garbage can.....no, I dont believe that you need to use rattles in baits most of the time. It MIGHT get their attention to a degree, but my opinion is that its probably overkill.
MuskieBum
Posted 9/2/2003 6:39 PM (#80396 - in reply to #80386)

Ranger,

that's a cool story and I think there is a lot to that. I've spooked a few fish that have been hot on a bait by hittin the trolling engine to early, and I always try to drift when possible. Fish may not be able to understand what they are feeling but they will get conditioned none the less. I would bet the fish that are caught trolling in the propwash have eaten many of baitfish that have been spooked by the big engines previous to that expirence. The big bucks in the city park are the same animal as the swamp bucks, but I wouldnt advise banging on a bucket full of corn on da first day of deer season.

slay em.

Ranger
Posted 9/2/2003 7:30 PM (#80397 - in reply to #80396)
Subject: Tale Told To Me, Now I'll Tell You (Quiet Counts?)

Well, I'm just relating this gent's comments. Would you agree that there is no reason why a big muskie wouldn't want to investigate unusual noises?

Or.....

Perhaps there is a particularly gifted/smart strain of muskies in this small lake. Scary smart, like dolphins. They got that way from injesting the right combination of chemicals unknowingly leaked years ago by a local mining outfit.
sworrall
Posted 9/2/2003 7:41 PM (#80398 - in reply to #80396)

There isn't enough constant exposure in a muskie's life to 'condition' them as  has been suggested in the past. If a noise is constant, however, the fish must accept it as a normal part of the everyday environment. Boat traffic, swimmers, jetskis, all become a normal part of every day existence. Doesn't mean the fish has any clue what they are, or for that matter, 'cares'. They will eat a piece of plastic filled with BBs and bristling with hooks, moving in that water like a piece of trim, and painted like a clown.

I agree about the buck, but that is a mammal with a significant cerebral mass, which the muskie lacks. Point still stands that 'sneaking' up on a fish in a literal sense is not necessary or for that matter possible, IMHO. The only condition where trying to be as quiet as possible may apply is on huge flats of very shallow water ( under 3') with absolutely NO cover. If a boat approaches, the fish might move out of casting range, then again, they might not.

Hitting the trolling motor when the fish is right there can cause a fright/flight reaction, it is REALLY loud and pushes a huge stream of water. I think the fish ignore it most of the time unless they contact the moving water, which seems to really spook them. Just an observation.

MuskieBum
Posted 9/2/2003 8:08 PM (#80403 - in reply to #80386)

I'm no fisheries biologist but I would bet my life that fish do get conditioned, and much faster than you would expect. I have a pond below my house and as soon as I step foot on my dock I have 3 bronzebacks swimming very fast from the other side of my pond to the dock to eat frogs out of my hands. cerebral mass or not, they know where dinner is at.

if that isn't conditioning I'm not sure what is.
sworrall
Posted 9/2/2003 8:33 PM (#80404 - in reply to #80403)

Have a dog go out on the dock, or for that matter a pig or a horse. The fish will react the same way. I have a tank (big one) that has several species in it, and I let them forage for baitfish quite 'naturally' by putting 8 dozen minnows per week in there. If there is plenty of food, they don't react to anything entering that space at all. If I let them go hungry for a few days, the cat entering the room will get them to the front of the tank.The fish will relate to food sources very quickly, especially if other food is at a premium. That does indicate a conditioned response, after  many exposures to the feeding. Point is, a 'negative' conditioned response such as  avoiding a boat would take MANY more exposures than what the average fish is exposed to to create a response as described, and the motivation is totally different . That response would rapidly fade after a very short time if the feeding stopped and the pond was full of baitfish, frogs, and other food. I can tell you it takes a TON of baitfish to keep my 5 fish fed.

Posted 9/2/2003 9:45 PM (#80411 - in reply to #80386)

There is a interesting survey that has been going on for 2+ years on the Chippewa Flowage..the results show that skis with transmitters that were netted with fyke nets do not shy away from a on coming boat, but the skis that have been caught by fishermen and have had transmitters placed in them all shy away from on coming boats..proving that skis do get conditioned to fear boat noise..anyone can see the survey stats on the Chippewa area chamber of commerce sight under fish survey...it is the most comprehensive study of muskie behavior I have seen to date..tight lines.
stephendawg
Posted 9/2/2003 9:50 PM (#80412 - in reply to #80386)

WOW, my brain hurts!

Great observations though. Neither side of this discussion however, will hinder me from tossing the bait where I feel it needs to be placed in order to get the bite. Life is definately too short to worry if I scared a fish away because I thought I was too noisy therefore not tossing the wood. I'm sure most of us agree with that....

Fish On!

sworrall
Posted 9/2/2003 10:16 PM (#80415 - in reply to #80411)

Howie,

I sure hope you are not referring to the Chippewa Flowage Muskie Study. That was, is, and forever shall be a total farce. See the issue of Esox Angler a while ago ( Issue 8, here is a link http://www.esoxangler.bigstep.com/item.jhtml;$sessionid$MYMHTJYAAALA3TZENUFXBMWPERWRJPX0?UCIDs=1025591%7C1058775&PRID=1198605) ago that dealt with the study, I wrote a piece for that issue edited and supplemented by Rob Kimm, covers it pretty well.

I spent over a year investigating the 'study', and found it to be a collection of misinformation and bias beyond belief. The authors were presenting seminars with concrete conclusions before the data was even collected, and presenting 'facts' that were not in the data at all.The main source of funding for the study was NOT very happy. The rest of the sponsors listed, for the most part, did little or nothing with the telemetry portion of the study, but a couple were involved in the single hook 'study' portion done the next year which also drew conclusions prematurely, had many 'facts' which were actually nothing more than personal opinion, presented multiple 'autopsies' that were never authenticated and worse, but to the author's credit at least drew what appears to be a somewhat accurate conclusion. Single hook rigs kill fish.

The telemetry study was a total blowout. From a scientific point of view it was an absolute zero.

There IS a tracking study that was done right, the Milwaukee chapter of Muskies Inc sponsored it on Pewaukee lake. The conclusions drawn support Steve Van Lieshout's list of Muskie behavior rules. Simply put:

There are no rules.

stephendog, that is my point exactly!!

Inside joke:

The muskies are in wolf packs again zig zagging--- oooooo, spooky...

ToddM
Posted 9/2/2003 10:37 PM (#80418 - in reply to #80386)

I don't think it is a noise issue as much as the musky taking a look at a large object in the water, or seeing some sort of movement that got it curious.

Posted 9/2/2003 11:43 PM (#80425 - in reply to #80386)

Muskies INC.also along with 8 other agencies were involved in the Big Chip study..so we are supposed to believe them now but not then ? I happen to agree with you on the hasty conclusion part of the fish mortality rates of this study. But I know some of the people that are involved in the study and I am not ready to discredit the telemetry data based on your opinion...no disrespect intended..someone can find fault with any study,including your research. Following a muskie with tetemetry is something any collage student can do,so I have the choice of believing the agencies involved like the W.D.N.R.,University of Wi.and the U.S.Fish and Wildlife Service that were named as being involved in the study, or believing you...
northbound
Posted 9/3/2003 12:05 AM (#80426 - in reply to #80425)

Oh, please Howie let's not go there, please. Trust me its not worth it.
Hey, I want to know why I've had several muskies come up and ram the boat.
I don't think they were just swimming around with their eyes closed... or were they ?? I don't think they are afraid of much and I also believe that noise can be an attraction. They seem to be awful nosey also. I think the quiet thing is for us. Have you ever been in the boat with 2 kids arguing and lines flying around. Well there still seems to be fish being caught in that same boat. Go figure.
MikeHulbert
Posted 9/3/2003 8:09 AM (#80438 - in reply to #80386)

I would say that being quiet has so very little to do with catching muskies. If that was so, people that really tear them up speed trolling, Gregg Thomas, Dale Wiley, Chad Cain, wouldn't be able to catch 300+ fish per year.

Also if sound was a huge factor muskies wouldn't hit on the figure 8.

I have been on lakes while there are 10 boats in the same area, not fishing boats, but pontoons, ski boats, jet skis, etc... casting in between these boats and catching fish.

These fish don't care about sound, if that are hungry or you get them to make an reaction strike they will eat anything.

Mike Hulbert

sworrall
Posted 9/3/2003 8:17 AM (#80439 - in reply to #80425)

Northbound is right,Howie. Take my word for it, I am not just expressing an opinion. Please read the Esox Angler article, and draw what conclusions you might.

On the conditioning issue, look to the source documents and two issues of 'Behavior of Teleost Fishes' edited by Tony Pitcher; Chapman and Hall. Dry reading, but very informative. Another great source is a book written by one of the finest Anglers in the world, 'Through the Fishes Eye' by Mark Sosin and John Clark. It is out of print, but many libraries have the book.

Mike, I agree on the noise issue.

firstsixfeet
Posted 9/3/2003 9:44 AM (#80448 - in reply to #80386)

It is difficult to get much one way or another from the CFTS due to the fact that neither the pro study people nor the naysayers brought very much to the table in the way of proof for their viewpoints. The only thing I have gotten from it is that there are many more anti views related to the study than the authors have friends willing to speak up and support them.

So I typically disregard the study as anything relevant to my fishing.

However, I do a lot of small spot fishing and shallow water fishing and my views are mixed on this deal. I think fish are able to be conditioned at a quite variable rate(and I am sure Sworrall would have to concur with this view, he already uses conditioning of fish in many of his arguments, which generally take the view that fish are incredibly stupid, also true,
but not to the extent he claims, in my opinion). Due to this variable conditioning ability, I DO BELIEVE SOME FISH BECOME NEGATIVELY CONDITIONED IN VERY FEW REPS, PERHAPS IN A SINGLE EXPERIENCE. This to me explains many behaviours that we sometimes see in individual fish. I believe some fish to be boat shy, noise shy, movement shy, bait shy. This may be very attached to the natural wariness of that individual fish, or may be due to a negative experience connected with something, or repeated negative experiences. I believe some fish do ease out of positions due to boats approaching and that these fish are pretty hard to catch, after having moved like this . I never see it as an error for a fisherman to be quiet, and a boat drifting into a spot on a windy day I think is pretty hard for a fish to identify, even though he knows that something is occurring in his environment from the sound or pressure waves that still must come from it due to the variations in wave strikes it is causing. I think shallow water fish are particularly susceptible to being boat shy, angler shy, depth sounder shy, movement shy, etc.

Someone will want to counter with the speed trolling argument but if you give this some thought you will realize that this really doesn't apply to the discussion(even though it is an interesting aspect of musky behaviour).

Ask yourself a simple question, if you had $100 to bet on 2 anglers fish production per 100 encounters with musky in any lake, would you bet on the angler with the stealthy approach or the guy who ran right up, stomped around the boat and set up right on top of the fish? Which one would have more fish in the boat after those 100 encounters?

Fish are dumb, but they are not totally unable to modify their behaviour as some would suggest. If they were that stupid they would never live past the fingerling stage.
mikie
Posted 9/3/2003 10:37 AM (#80456 - in reply to #80386)

From the Mepps publication "Tips and Tactics for Trophy Musky":

Remaining as quiet as possible while fishing these shallows is absolutely essential; don't even use an electric trolling motor. Drift into shore and cast on the way."
Then, contrast that with the PMTT report this spring, where dozens of fishing boats trolled the marina area ripping fish left and right.

It just goes to show how little we know about these wonderous creatures. m
sworrall
Posted 9/3/2003 11:44 AM (#80464 - in reply to #80448)

The $100 bet example is not necessarily relevant, as extremes are given as an example. OF COURSE one doesn't want to set up right on the fish, nor 'stomp around in the boat', as there MIGHT be a fright/flight reaction depending on the thousands of variables attached to the particular event, and the angler's total presentation could be seriously compromised. BUT! I fish slop alot, and sometimes get the fish to go after I have been through the area repeatedly, as many as 6 times through, tossing targeted casts into pockets from many different directions.  Troy's fish on Sabaskong came the third time through the area no larger that a quarter a city block.  I guarantee on most occasions, my boat, electric, and all the associated noise went directly over some of the fish I then catch with no ill effect.

Why doesn't speed trolling, or propwash trolling in shallow water ( I watched a fellow win the Twin Cities MI event on Leech one year propwash trolling in less that 6' covering the same area over and over and over) apply to the discussion? The muskie is 'staged' in an area as shallow as a few feet, is appraoched by a boat with the engine running and all the associated noise, yet hits a lure IN the propwash. The idea that they are used to eating prey washed around by the propwash doesn't give any credit whatsoever to the prey species, as they, given the current line of thinking, should also rapidly learn to avoid the boat and subsequent predation by muskies.

There is nothing I can find in the literature that supports the idea that a fish will develop a learned avoidance response to a boat, angler, particular noise, visual cue, or other 'negative' experience in one, two, or for that matter several exposures. In fact, many fish can be caught repeatedly with hook and line with no avoidance behavior noted at all, which is, I believe, the basis of the concept of CPR in the first place.

Here is a bit of what I refer to:

Motivational basis of  fish behavior:

(this covers concept that fish are motivated to behave in a particular manner. It also covers habituation, which I refer to quite a bit with boats, jetskis, etc becoming part of the normal envoronment. Operant conditioning is also discussed, but that discussion would bore most nearly to tears anyway.)

" Two major structural changes germane to a consideration of motivation are learning and imprinting. The meaning of LEARNING unfortunatley varies with the user. It is generally taken to refer to the long-term change in he likelyhood of a particular response following a particular stimulous,over successive associations of the stimulous and response ('when followed by appropiate reinforcement' acording to reinforcement theorists). Such changes are variously interpreted as the outcome of conditioning of one or more types. ( Domjan, 1983) IMPRINTING refers to the development of social and habiatat attachmants as the result of experience during the brief sensitive period in early life. Although imprinting was originally contrasted with traditional learning in the labratory, it shares many features with learning. Habituation, the waning of a response after repeated presentation of the same stimulous, lies intermediate between the motivational dynamics and learning in its features and time scale." (Chapman and Hall, 'Fish and Fisheries', series 7)

Interestingly, in tests with several differnet species of fish, the response of avoidance to a 'negative experience' in may cases disappears in less that 48 hours during controlled testing on teleost fishes if exposure ceases, and is then reintroduced. Reinforcement theorists feel the negative reinforcement is too limited  to create a 'learned response'.

Olfactory response is even more interesting to me. Predator scent form Pike was tested in schools of minnows that had never been exposed to it, and in a few exposures, those fish developed shoaling avoidance behaviors when the scent was introduced, even though there was no pike present. I think that this was the short lived basis for the idea In Fish put out there a few years ago that a 'predator scent' natural to humans might create a fright reaction in some fish, and levels of the chemical supposedly responsible were measured on the hands of several anglers. It appeared that the idea simply went the way of so many, unprovable or unsupported, but a neat concept to consider.

My son relates that fish captured in Fyke Nets in the spring and fin clipped seem to develop an avoidance after a few captures to the net. The next year or even a few months later in the fall, however, the fish are easily netted the same number of times beofre they develop avoidance behavior. Perhaps over the course of the seasons, the fish 'forgot' the avoidance behavior because exposure was brief and ceased. He also relates that the approach of the DNR boat to boom shocked muskies after several nights seems to create an avoidance ONLY when the shocker is operating, which indicates the fish 'learn' to avoid the electrical field after several exposures, but again, the next time on that lake seem to have 'forgotten' the exposure.

What does all this mean? I think Steve Van Lieshout has it right. There are no rules.

The CFMS failed in concept, participation of the listed agencies, structure, collection, analysis, and review to meet even the most liberal description of a 'study'. I am absolutely confident in the observations Jason, Rob Kimm, and I  published in EA. Friends defending would not help, it was and is nothing more than a collection of stories and predrawn conclusions. The conclusions published about conditioning are ridiculous and seem to be drawn in an attempt to 'explain' why muskie angling there had slowed in recent years.

HOW would ANY of the tracking data support a claim that muskies ' wolf pack, zig zagging across structure at night'? The author of this story, a primary CFMS writer, called the supposedly observed behavior 'spooky'.  That's for sure....

Ranger
Posted 9/3/2003 11:59 AM (#80465 - in reply to #80386)

Wow, I never imagined that the initial post would generate so much discussion. Great ideas to reread and chew on. Thanks folks.

ps - Steve, you know where you said something about the fish in your big aquarium looking at the cat after a few days of not being fed? Well, wait a few days more and then throw that cat in the fish tank. Let us know the outcome, eh? Maybe take a few pics if the fish go after the cat.
MikeHulbert
Posted 9/3/2003 12:02 PM (#80466 - in reply to #80386)

Steve,

Check your Patriot e-mail account

Mike Hulbert
[email protected]

419-553-6570

tomyv
Posted 9/3/2003 1:17 PM (#80481 - in reply to #80386)

I have a headache now.
Mikes Extreme
Posted 9/3/2003 1:40 PM (#80489 - in reply to #80481)

I have a fish story from a week or two ago that might fit into this descusion.

Catching the same fish, in the same spot, with the same bait, at almost the same time, tells me Steve is not all that wrong. This fish was a 38 incher and was caught 4 days later almost to the 1/2 hour of the first time it was caught. What did this fish learn? That he is still hungry?

Interesting stuff here, keep it going.
EViL0nE
Posted 9/3/2003 5:31 PM (#80517 - in reply to #80386)

I also have a few aquariums and keep fish. From the few years I've been keeping them, I can tell you that fish are quickly conditioned to positive things (food). They very quickly learn that when an object comes up to the tank they should start hovering at the top. It, however doesn't matter if the object is a person, animal, vaccuum, etc. All that matters is an object comes towards the tanks. Now, I can also say that fry that have never seen a net will run away from the net. Did their parents teach them that this big green thing is coming after them to take them away? No. They see this big thing coming at them and their fight/flight instincts take over and they run like hell. Now, as soon as the net has left the area they were, they'll come right back within seconds. Sadly, I don't have any mating pairs of anything right now or I'd show a movie of it. I also have a couple of tanks within a few feet of my entertainment center and speakers. It took maybe 15 minutes of TV/radio/whatever before the fish in the tanks stopped stressing and went about their business. They no longer react to the noise from that stuff. If boats/jetskis/etc really bothered fish, they would all be dead. Stress is the number one killer of fish. Their tolerance for stress is very low and it can take as little as 30 minutes of stress to start killing their slime coating and shoot their immune system to hell. Then they end up with one (or more) of all sorts of diseases or other problems and die.
MuskieBum
Posted 9/3/2003 6:02 PM (#80520 - in reply to #80386)

I think this thread is cool however I'm not exactly sure what some people are tyring to prove.

I think firstsixfeet's hypothetical story says it all. Obviously not every fish has the same "wiring" and there will always be the exceptions but as a whole fish will get conditioned. Why is the bite on crazy tourist lake almost always better at night?

I'm also not exactly sure what the point of the literature about learning vs imprinting was for. The shoaling response (from what I took from the study) was a genetic characteristic that the baitfish pocess genetically (like a hunting dog being able to smell birds) which causes them to shoal. this has nothing to do with conditioning.

The imprinting also helps disprove the theory that fish (in this case salmonids) will eventually lose their conditioning. Trout fry and fingerlings will return to a small feeder quick years after they left because they can sense the difference in the water makeup. It's amazing stuff and if your interested check out some of the studys they have done on this.

"The idea that they are used to eating prey washed around by the propwash doesn't give any credit whatsoever to the prey species, as they, given the current line of thinking, should also rapidly learn to avoid the boat and subsequent predation by muskies."

this quote makes no sense at all due to the fact that the baitfish will never get a chance to get conditioned because the only baitfish that would have been negativley conditioned would already be in the stomach of a nice fat lunge.

I would bet that this shortlined trolling works much better on busy water that gets a lot of traffic rather than on water that never recieves any traffic from boats. but if someone can prove me wrong that would definalty change my thoughts on this. Does anyone out there catch fish doing this on water that never gets traffic from other boats????

as for me, I will continue to drift, but to the doubters keep making lots of noise.

slay em

www.custommuskygliders.com

If we can agree that fish are able to be postitivley conditioned then would they not also be able to be conditioned negativley as well?
firstsixfeet
Posted 9/3/2003 6:26 PM (#80521 - in reply to #80386)

Sworrall honey, explain to me again exactly how the $100 bet is an extreme example? And how does it compromise your presentation? And if noise is not a factor why not set up right on top and clunk around?

I yield that fish are stupid and never have argued anything else. But some fish I am sure learn avoidance behaviour quickly. Fish geniuses? Probably not, but something is there that makes them participate in what I can only describe as avoidance behaviour. If catfish can recognize a hookpoint when mouthing a live bluegill after only being hooked once, then musky can avoid baits on some basis also. And many fish are dum. I have a personal experience with a 40 inch fish caught at 10 am and 2 pm in the same area, and was not aware it was the same fish until photo examination showed the exact same set of scars on the side. Also tagged fish have been caught repeatedly on the same baits in the same spots. Not all fish react the same. Some however react with great alarm to boats and the hooking process, or maybe more so, the unhooking process.

The basic premise to propwash trolling is that the fish are used to the boat motors going overhead, in some lakes they cannot exist without being exposed to this. The second tenet is that fish have no NEGATIVE experience with this boat prop going overhead, and in fact may have a positive conditioning to the boat prop due to forage fall, and forage flight which might provide feeding opportunities. In southern lakes with shad and northern lakes with whitefish/cisco, there can be excellent opportunities for meals of chopped fish below boat props. There is no way to run across a KY lake on a still summer evening without choppin a few fish on the way. When caught on this trolling method a fish could form a negative response, but if it did would you catch it again?, would you be able to see it moving out of the way? No to both those questions. Even if the fish forms a negative conditioning loop, he still cannot escape all boats running overhead due to the speed and numbers of boats running on most waters today.

Somewhat differently in shallow water approaches under electric motors, most of the boats ARE fishing. Easier to form the avoidance for this set of cues than the boats running overhead under power, which still by the way continue to spray body parts and repostion prey even over a negatively reinforced fish(has to confuse them that the gravy train is still available IF they had formed a connection to boats under power and being hooked).

It is real easy to get confused on this question since every fish you catch under absurdly stupid conditions or through actions reinforces the idea that fish are not smart. However you have to look at the big picture at all times, the $100 bet and 100 fish encounters is actually the true way that this should be measured(I often hear these same misguided claims from people that say color does not matter when in fact of course it does).
Fish reactions are indeed simple and there are only three perceptions that color those reactions, a stimulus is either negative, neutral or positive.
There is NOTHING else, and there is no "4th" perception for a fish.

So lets look at a possible 100 fish encounters in an objective way. How many of those fish would view a boat clunking around their environment as a POSITIVE stimulus, one connected with a reward or heirarchy of needs value? How many fish might view the boat as neutral? How many might view it as negative(a threat to their security or welfare or something interfering in their satisfying their heirarchy of needs)? FOR THIS BET NOT TO MATTER, THERE MUST BE NO FISH IN THE THIRD GROUP(those that perceive the boat negatively), BECAUSE THE STEALTHY ANGLER HAS A CHANCE of catching the fish in the third group(and that's why I am bettin on him).

The point for anglers to consider is that they may not be catching all the fish they could, because wary fish have left Dodge before the shootout begins.
stephendawg
Posted 9/3/2003 10:01 PM (#80547 - in reply to #80386)

I look for any and every way to keep motivated and focused when musky fishing. Depending on my fishing partner for the day, I find it tough to be "hard core" as often as I'd like. So, one of the essential facts I remind myself of is the musky and pike have an incredible matabolism. That being said, I approach every "fishy" piece of water with the realization that if I blunder and make an abrupt noise or even botch my casting placement odds can be decent that there is still a hot fish there who just fully digested it's last meal and now has the munchies. And why not think that? If I thought any less than that on every cast (good or bad) why would I waste my time imparting some kind of action to the bait on the retrieve? And further, why would I continue to cast off the deep water side of the boat nearly every time a jet ski or boat passes within casting distance? I'm hoping there's a hungry musky looking for an easy "stunned" meal in the propwash. Not too quiet out there I'd say. I do like fishing quietly and at a distance when conditions motivate me to look for those kind of opportunities. But the fear of spooking or being near a "conditioned" fish has never kept me from trying to catch it anyway. How 'bout ya all?

Ya know, a lot of well intentioned experts have ruined some pretty enjoyable experiences for me in 42 years. I try to remain teachable.... but, can't too much dissent be a bad thing sometimes? Simply put, "Wet a line"......

Edited by stephendawg 9/3/2003 10:22 PM
sworrall
Posted 9/3/2003 10:48 PM (#80552 - in reply to #80521)

Honey?

Easy!! FSF, you described an angler being extremely stealthy, and  another one bumbling about on top of the fish and stomping around the boat. Neither is very realistic, and reality should be somewhat of a measure, don't you think? Very few anglers would behave to either extreme, which was my point. My comment was based on the example you offered, not the three classes of fish you present. point in fact:

Jim Cairnes (Rockford, IL), one of the best anglers I have ever met, fished for years with a stereo blasing out Led Zepplin to hull mounted speakers. He caught a ton of fish; I know, I fished with him quite a bit. Did the rock make a positive difference, or negative? No idea. I know I was about as successful without the noise.

BTW, who said anything about MY presentation? I said that setting up on top of the fish and stomping around in the boat MIGHT compromise that particular bumbling gent's presentation; whomever he might be, and that it would not be realistic to expect anyone would do that. I sure wouldn't. Somehwere in the middle of the example is what most good muskie anglers try to do. I spent a fair amount of time under water over the years, and will stand by the assertion that it is near impossible to sneak up on anything in a boat.

I ask what observation brings the comment that some fish react with great alarm to boats, the hooking process, or unhooking process? Isn't it an accurate observation that a fish that one day flares from the boat immediately might another day take a well presented figure 8 at boatside? Is it not possible the the boat and angler background is a factor ( only one of many including light, reflection, surface conditions, clothing color, and much much more) in ALL follows or approaching fish, and that the response to the stimulous the bait/presentation creates could on one day be less than another, allowing another stimulous, like a moving angler in the background or a reflection of sunlight off a hull to effect the total response, thus causing a flight reaction instead of a strike? Or perhaps generating a weak follow instead of a strike? Why must it be that the fish is 'conditioned to avoid capture', and if that were so, wouldn't it be more likely the fish would not approach the lure/boat at all?

Those fish fall into a catagory I can't find anywhere in the literature, and that is the base point of my argument. If muskies conditioned to capture easily, and learned to avoid anglers, I submit the fishing would be much tougher than it is.

If a muskie forms an avoidance behavior to one capture, would not that particular event have to be reconstructed almost exactly to elicit the expected response? Would a fish caught in rough water on a spinnerbait avoid a glider in calm water? The 'cues' are totally different, are they not?

I also would ask why propwash trolling works well in areas where boat traffic is absolutely minimal, and shad or cisco are not present. The example in the weeds on Leech was a good one. That gent caught 6 fish on spinnerbaits in the weeds in less than 6 feet of water, trolling at high speed. I have seen others do very well using that tactic on waters where boat traffic is nearly non existent, in fact in areas of Canada where a bay might not see ANY boat traffic for months.

I ask if it is necesarily so that the fish are 'used' to boat trafic at all or are looking for chopped up baitfish thus making propwash trolling successful, or if perhaps there simply is no relation to boats with any particular response. The boat is there, the lure is there, and the response is to the lure. The LEVEL of the response might just be the most important factor as to whether we catch a fish or not. Maybe? Why would the fish form an avoidance behavior to capture? What is the negative reinforcement, and how would the association form with one encounter? Is it even possible to associate the boat with the capture, if, for example, the fish hits out at the end of the cast? Doesn't electric motor noise under water travel at 16 times the speed of that same sound in the air, creating an atmosphere where that constant is subject to habituation?

For MuskieBum, RE this example:

The meaning of LEARNING is generally taken to refer to LONG TERM change in the LIKELIHOOD OF A PARTICULAR RESPONSE FOLLOWING A PARTICULAR STIMULOUS OVER SUCCESSIVE  ASSOCIATIONS OF THE STIMULOUS AND RESPONSE. SUCH CHANGES ARE VARIOUSLY INTREPETED AS THE OUTCOME OF conditioning OF ONE OR MORE TYPES. 

Conditioning being the key word, assocaited with learning. I thought it was relevant.

I brought out the associated imprinting and habituation, as the three are connected when considering learning and motivational behavior. Imprinting and habituation must be considered while considering learning  motivational basis of fish behavior. 

What am I trying to prove? Nothing. I am asking questions, presenting ideas, asking if ideas that are put foward could be substantiated by some basis in fact, and trying to then apply those ideas to everyday muskie angling. I DO have a problem with myth and 'rules', and a particular problem with stated absolutes that have little or no support in reality. I have a possibly misguided belief that blindly accepting whatever is handed to me by an 'authority' (as in 'angler') as fact without questioning might just cause me to overlook something that could make me a better muskie angler. I especially have difficulty with 'rules' that oppose sound logic.

Example:

It was claimed by some that fish fyke netted did not form that avoidance behavior to motor niose and fish caught on hook and line did, which is questionable using said logic. The fyke netted fish spends MUCH more time in captivity, is handled MUCH more extensively (assuming that handling is negative reinforcement to entering a fyke net), especailly if stripped for spawn, ends up in a boat with humans handling the muskie rather roughly who approached in a boat with a motor. Things that make you go HMMMM. Yet that same fish can be fyke netted several times before avoiding the net, and then netted again several times just a few months later, suggesting a waning of the avoidance behavior.

Shouldn't the avoidance behavior with hook and line muskies be directed at the LURE? What assocaition is there to the boat, netting, release, hook removal, etc? Can the muskie reason that the lure led to the boat which led to the hooking which led to the net which led to the handling and subsequent release, and then avoid a boat as a result? Can the fish identify the angler as the culprit, and avoid anglers at all costs?

One trolling motor company advertised that a clear prop would not spook the fish, and therefore was a distinct advantage. What of the foot and the shaft? Why do they now sell all black props?

A line company advertised that their new clear line would catch more fish, as it would be invisible, therefore reducing the avoidance problem since obviously fish associate line tied to a lure with capture. ( right...)  This line 'replaced' a blue flourescent, which proclaimed on the spool, 'The line you can see, but the fish can't'. I guess all those years they were just funning with us.

Some fish repotedly move out of the path of a slowly approaching boat. Planer boards were supposed to address that movement by placing the lure in the path of the fish just as the fish breaks off the 'retreat'. Yet I catch numbers of fish on flatlines, too. I wonder. Maybe the planer boards are effective simply because more water is covered, and more fish contacted. Then again..

So, FSF, I don't disagree that the reasonably careful angler will sometimes outfish the guy who doesn't take care to set up his approach to optimally place the selected presentation. That is obvious. 

My bet stands with the angler who takes chances, breaks the rules, innovates, and tries to approach the 100 fish to optimally place his presentation given the conditions. My son kicked my hinder for a day on Sabaskong throwing bass size crankbaits at the rock walls. I was on the same pattern, but was throwing big cranks and other big stuff. That particular day his technique outproduced mine moving fish 18 to 1.

By the By, I don't for a second intend to insinuate I am correct in my assumptions. What I am going to do is debate the subject, for two reasons. One, I like to debate. Two, if I intend to debate the subject, I try to look into it as much as possible, rehashing studies and reading supporting documents. I am certain to learn something. Or at least try to!

No one can absolutely prove out any of this stuff until we can ask a muskie. I tried that. All I got was a cold stare.

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)