Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Muskie Boats and Motors -> Ulterra ...

Reply New post
Message Subject: Ulterra ...
jonnysled
Posted 7/20/2016 10:22 AM (#824215)
Subject: Ulterra ...

Not much time with it yet, but I love it!!
heel - toe or left - right buttons
auto/ap
anchor
spot-lock
iPilot remote
automatic stow and deploy
automatic up and down

*makes all of the cable features/needs obsolete ...

i'm told they are upgrading even more as they improve the anchoring and following features etc...

i got frustrated when i broke 2 trolling motors in a week and just had one of those impulse days and said screw it, i'm doing it.

pushing the button is incredible ... i love it!!!

others? i tried to find an Ulterra thread to pile on and it's either buried too deep or tagging along on the Ultrex thread. what do others who have had this motor longer think of it so far?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UwT-SgCl6_Q

Edited by jonnysled 7/20/2016 11:30 AM
BNelson
Posted 7/20/2016 10:28 AM (#824216 - in reply to #824215)
Subject: Re: Ulterra ...

you would have loved a Terrova when they came out too but were too stubborn to listen to guys who fish a lot!
jonnysled
Posted 7/20/2016 10:30 AM (#824219 - in reply to #824216)

BNelson - 7/20/2016 10:28 AM

you would have loved a Terrova when they came out too but were too stubborn to listen to guys who fish a lot! ;)

i would never, ever have left a rope scissor stow and deploy. the AP and Terrova designs for stow and deploy are awful.
BNelson
Posted 7/20/2016 10:41 AM (#824222 - in reply to #824219)

how many times did you actually stow and deploy a Terrova? they are actually way better than Powerdrives to get in and out...
jonnysled
Posted 7/20/2016 11:02 AM (#824225 - in reply to #824222)

it's something i'm sure lots of people like to do ... the rope trumped the bending over pushing and pulling to me. my motors at the time did everything a terrova did. to me the game changer with the new motors out now is the anchor feature.

BNelson
Posted 7/20/2016 11:04 AM (#824226 - in reply to #824225)

terrovas have all the features the ulterra does except the push button stow/deploy and up/down thingy.... glad you like it.. If they hold up to icy cold sub 32 temps I will get one someday....

Edited by BNelson 7/20/2016 11:05 AM
jonnysled
Posted 7/20/2016 11:17 AM (#824229 - in reply to #824226)

yah, the ulterrra is basically a terrova with the addition of the mode button tied to the stow and deploy and up and down position. not sure when terrova added anchor and spot lock? ... maybe you remember. seems to me it was out prior to and then adding that feature recently?

i haven't heard a bad thing yet on the Ulterra and from guys who use them a whole lot more than i do ...
BNelson
Posted 7/20/2016 11:18 AM (#824230 - in reply to #824229)

terrovas have had those features a few yrs
danmuskyman
Posted 7/20/2016 3:26 PM (#824269 - in reply to #824215)

My buddy has an Ulterra and it's pretty awesome, however if I could get spot lock button on the pedal for my Terrova, that to me would be the biggest upgrade. The auto stow/deploy and trim is cool but a spot lock button on the pedal for the Terrova and I would never switch.
Simo
Posted 7/20/2016 3:46 PM (#824271 - in reply to #824215)
Subject: RE: Ulterra ...

I upgraded to an ulterra this year as well and only have one complaint. Maybe someone can help. So far, the only way I am able to use standard autopilot is by using the remote and holding down the north arrow button for a couple seconds. I don't think it's possible to use standard autopilot on the foot pedal. When I use the foot pedal and hit the autopilot button, it activates advanced auto pilot, not standard. This is kind of annoying since I always use standard autopilot for controlled drifts. Anybody have a clue what I'm talking about?
vegas492
Posted 7/20/2016 4:21 PM (#824277 - in reply to #824215)

One of the best features of the Terrova is the stow and deploy feature. Very easy to use. Even the Minn Kota rep that works on them at MW Marine sings the praises of how it stows and deploys. No issues there at all.

I'll own an Ulterra someday. But so far everyone I know who has one has had it lock up during stow or deploy. That isn't fun. To me, it isn't a matter of "if" it will freeze on you, it is a matter of "when". Keep a Minn Kota service rep on your phone for such an event.

I have heard that the newer versions, I think they are V2's, are performing much better, though.

I'm happy you like/love yours Sled. Enjoy it!
esox80
Posted 7/20/2016 4:27 PM (#824278 - in reply to #824215)

Simo: what's the difference between the standard and advanced autopilot? I hit the top left button on the pedal and the continuous button and it goes where I had it aimed...
jonnysled
Posted 7/20/2016 4:38 PM (#824280 - in reply to #824271)

Simo - 7/20/2016 3:46 PM

I upgraded to an ulterra this year as well and only have one complaint. Maybe someone can help. So far, the only way I am able to use standard autopilot is by using the remote and holding down the north arrow button for a couple seconds. I don't think it's possible to use standard autopilot on the foot pedal. When I use the foot pedal and hit the autopilot button, it activates advanced auto pilot, not standard. This is kind of annoying since I always use standard autopilot for controlled drifts. Anybody have a clue what I'm talking about?

take this understanding i'm 3 days in. when i hit the autopilot alone it made me wonder what was up, when i hit the ap and the constant button it worked like the autopilot i remembered. i am more of a pulser but this did work for me on my unit.

i'll register one fixable complaint ... the power button is really bright at night. might have to muffle it.

sorry ... just saw the same response above.

Edited by jonnysled 7/20/2016 4:40 PM
danlaboucane
Posted 7/20/2016 4:48 PM (#824281 - in reply to #824215)

i bought my terrova in jan 2011 and it has spot lock ! and i like it but one day the ulterra will float my boat !
muskyman1122
Posted 7/20/2016 5:14 PM (#824286 - in reply to #824226)

I agree with Ben... if it stows and deploys in sub freezing temperatures I would get one but I haven't heard from anyone who has used it in those water temps.
BNelson
Posted 7/20/2016 5:35 PM (#824289 - in reply to #824286)

Sled, take a little square of electrical tape and over up 2/3rds of that light...presto.... did that to all mine on the terrova.
danlaboucane
Posted 7/20/2016 8:28 PM (#824305 - in reply to #824289)

BNelson - 7/20/2016 5:35 PM

Sled, take a little square of electrical tape and over up 2/3rds of that light...presto.... did th

at to all mine on the terrova.

same here that light is bright !
Fishysam
Posted 7/21/2016 9:44 AM (#824369 - in reply to #824271)

Do you have ipilot or ipilot link? If you have only ipilot the way you are working the remote is the only way to get "legacy auto pilot". If you have link you can go into your humminbird and set it to default legacy. I only use legacy I only cast. If I trolled at 1+mph for walleyes I may switch it to advanced but trying to go slow doesn't work if there is more than a light breeze. ( if you constantly correct your steering before you get off your line by 15' you won't see it turn straight sideways, I have gotten so akeen to a power drifting that I can go 500 yards without touching the controls.)

The different in advanced and legacy is; legacy points the same direction and that's it. Advanced autopilot will drop a straight line on your map from current boat position to shore, if your not pulling fast you may blow off this line and then at say 15' off the line the motor will absolutely take you 90* turn straight back to that line drawn from original boat position to shore. That is problematic for going slow and trying to power drift.
Simo
Posted 7/21/2016 9:59 AM (#824378 - in reply to #824369)

Fishysam - 7/21/2016 9:44 AM

Do you have ipilot or ipilot link? If you have only ipilot the way you are working the remote is the only way to get "legacy auto pilot". If you have link you can go into your humminbird and set it to default legacy. I only use legacy I only cast. If I trolled at 1+mph for walleyes I may switch it to advanced but trying to go slow doesn't work if there is more than a light breeze. ( if you constantly correct your steering before you get off your line by 15' you won't see it turn straight sideways, I have gotten so akeen to a power drifting that I can go 500 yards without touching the controls.)

The different in advanced and legacy is; legacy points the same direction and that's it. Advanced autopilot will drop a straight line on your map from current boat position to shore, if your not pulling fast you may blow off this line and then at say 15' off the line the motor will absolutely take you 90* turn straight back to that line drawn from original boat position to shore. That is problematic for going slow and trying to power drift.

That's exactly right! I have the ipilot (no link). Same as you I only use the legacy autopilot unless it's dead calm. I used to use the remote exclusively but switched to the foot pedal and it kinda sucks that I still have to use the remote to set the autopilot each time. Oh well it's not too bad.
mtcook16
Posted 7/21/2016 10:16 AM (#824391 - in reply to #824215)

Minn Kota released news of new i-pilot and i-pilot link. The new i-pilot and link have upgraded GPS features (Auto Pilot, Spot Lock and Follow the Contour) are incredibly accurate because of new hardware and a new algorithm in the head of the motor.

There will also be a heading sensor included with all i-pilot and i-pilot link models of Terrova, Ulterra and Ultrex that will enable a "jog" feature that can adjust spot lock in 5ft increments in the direction of your choice, while also reducing boat sway in Spot Lock.
Chemi
Posted 7/21/2016 10:28 AM (#824395 - in reply to #824391)

mtcook16 - 7/21/2016 11:16 AM

Minn Kota released news of new i-pilot and i-pilot link. The new i-pilot and link have upgraded GPS features (Auto Pilot, Spot Lock and Follow the Contour) are incredibly accurate because of new hardware and a new algorithm in the head of the motor.

There will also be a heading sensor included with all i-pilot and i-pilot link models of Terrova, Ulterra and Ultrex that will enable a "jog" feature that can adjust spot lock in 5ft increments in the direction of your choice, while also reducing boat sway in Spot Lock.

Any info about whether existing units can get upgraded somehow?
Fishysam
Posted 7/21/2016 10:51 AM (#824402 - in reply to #824215)

They have a better GPS receiver However it may be possible to get an update for ipilot link to the new algorithm but NOT ipilot.
mtcook16
Posted 7/21/2016 1:59 PM (#824430 - in reply to #824215)

The new motors will operate on a bluetooth interface and new internal components, so there will not be a software update that will enable the new capabilities. The enhanced i-pilot/i-pilot Link features will be available only on new 2017 motors.
ajrod88
Posted 7/23/2016 11:04 AM (#824615 - in reply to #824271)

Simo, I agree with you 100% Thats the feature I use most of the time. I rarely use the foot petal at all but I think you are correct that you can't use the standard mode with foot petal only. I think they need to come out with a programmable remote! That would get some people fired up!

Edited by ajrod88 7/23/2016 11:06 AM
Chemi
Posted 7/23/2016 11:34 AM (#824618 - in reply to #824430)

mtcook16 - 7/21/2016 2:59 PM

The new motors will operate on a bluetooth interface and new internal components, so there will not be a software update that will enable the new capabilities. The enhanced i-pilot/i-pilot Link features will be available only on new 2017 motors.

Carp!
tned
Posted 7/23/2016 12:01 PM (#824623 - in reply to #824215)

Got mine last year,loved it worked all season fine. This last trip I nudged a rock and the belt froze up in the middle housing, brought it in to a service shop and it is the third one waiting for new belts. Wish I had my terrova for a back up. Anyone know if the terrova comes with spot lock on the foot pedal?
pjcarl
Posted 7/23/2016 12:07 PM (#824624 - in reply to #824623)

Yeah I've heard the belt can have some issues

Edited by pjcarl 7/23/2016 12:09 PM
Headlock
Posted 7/28/2016 10:30 PM (#825327 - in reply to #824215)

Have one and love it.
Andy Myers Lodge
Posted 7/30/2016 7:07 AM (#825467 - in reply to #824215)

the terrova for a relativley basic and the most fool proof mtr incl the pedal i've ever had ( i personally have problems with cable drive pedals and almost always fish out of the back). as i get a touch,just a touch mind you older that 60" shaft and huge heavy mtr on the 36v seems to get heavier and heavier. almost jumped this spring to the ultera but the issue brad brought up about real cold weather,spray icing up on the shaft and possible deployment issues etc for those of us who live for that time is exactly why i i didnt and i couldnt find anyone who positivley could answer that. i was visioning taking turns pee'n on it to thaw it out after ea run. figured one more season,feedback,and fine tuning by minnkota as issues and improvements came along. next yr for sure if all is good.
reports guys??? thanks much
steve herbeck
AML PROP. EMERITUS,GUST FISHING INSTRUCTION COORDINATOR,MASTER GUIDE
facebook.com/AndyMyersLodge
andymyerslodge.com
jonnysled
Posted 7/30/2016 7:26 AM (#825469 - in reply to #825467)

Andy Myers Lodge - 7/30/2016 7:07 AM

the terrova for a relativley basic and the most fool proof mtr incl the pedal i've ever had ( i personally have problems with cable drive pedals and almost always fish out of the back). as i get a touch,just a touch mind you older that 60" shaft and huge heavy mtr on the 36v seems to get heavier and heavier. almost jumped this spring to the ultera but the issue brad brought up about real cold weather,spray icing up on the shaft and possible deployment issues etc for those of us who live for that time is exactly why i i didnt and i couldnt find anyone who positivley could answer that. i was visioning taking turns pee'n on it to thaw it out after ea run. figured one more season,feedback,and fine tuning by minnkota as issues and improvements came along. next yr for sure if all is good.
reports guys??? thanks much
steve herbeck
AML PROP. EMERITUS,GUST FISHING INSTRUCTION COORDINATOR,MASTER GUIDE
facebook.com/AndyMyersLodge
andymyerslodge.com

on the positive side herbie, now that we're older and have to pee more often that should be a reliable option!

Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Reply New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)