Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> The truth about the MN Muskie stocking vs lake property owners!

Message Subject: The truth about the MN Muskie stocking vs lake property owners!
ESOX Maniac
Posted 1/14/2016 6:20 AM (#799456)
Subject: The truth about the MN Muskie stocking vs lake property owners!

There's always an factual side to the debate.

http://www.outdoornews.com/January-2016/The-alpha-predator-quandary...

Enjoy!
Al

Pointerpride102
Posted 1/14/2016 7:48 AM (#799462 - in reply to #799456)
Subject: Re: The truth about the MN Muskie stocking vs lake property owners!

My problem with the article is the "muskies eat all the fish" argument isn't the true reason "they" fight musky stocking. It is 110% solely about "this is my lake, and I don't want other people on it". Period.
ESOX Maniac
Posted 1/14/2016 8:15 AM (#799465 - in reply to #799462)

Mike - That's illogical, if there's a public launch. Maybe the muskie community should hold a live walleye & perch seminar on the lake.

Have fun!
Al
mnmusky
Posted 1/14/2016 8:16 AM (#799466 - in reply to #799462)

Well said Pointer!
There is water around a certain dock, on a certain lake that needs to be shelled with musky baits 24/7 during the season. You may even catch one of those famous five footers.
jonnysled
Posted 1/14/2016 8:21 AM (#799467 - in reply to #799466)

having lived on a lake growing up i totally understand the perspective of the home-owners and lake associations. i'm not saying it's right or justified but i understand it. sound travels on water, most of the year it's quiet but everything that happens on the water is right in your home and in your face. anything that makes it even busier is more of an encroachment on your daily life when you thought you invested in a place to relax, especially if you live near the landing. i'll take the woods over the water now.
NickD
Posted 1/14/2016 9:06 AM (#799471 - in reply to #799456)

How do property owners not know what they are getting into? The lots are smaller, no privacy from the water or neighbors, and you pay 2+ times as much for the property. It's like buying a house next to a freeway and complaining about the road noise....

I could possibly feel for the lakeshore property owners if they didn't destroy near shore habitat. There is only so much water frontage and a huge % of it is/will be developed. The lake I grew up bass fishing had a few bullrush patches when I was a kid. They have long since been removed for new docks. Another lake that is frequently featured on the Lindner's show has a significant amount of development happening along a shore with huge bullrush beds. Will they tear those out for docks as well? It starts with a lane for the boat and ends with all the bullrushes disappearing All that near shore nursery habitat will likely be gone. That impacts nearly every fish in the lake as most fish species seek out those near shore areas early on in life.

MOJOcandy101
Posted 1/14/2016 9:37 AM (#799477 - in reply to #799456)

Al, your right it is illogical, but my experience from the meetings I've went to that basically is what they are saying. They don't understand that water is public and believe that since the majority of the homeowners on the lake don't like the idea of "muskies/more boat traffic" it only makes sense not to stock. "We are here everyday and care more about this lake" logic.
Slamr
Posted 1/14/2016 9:42 AM (#799479 - in reply to #799477)

Funny to think that there is an argument from muskie fisherman saying 'it's public, we should all be able to use it!', when there is also a thread on this site where a lot of people will not share spots because they don't want other people on THEIR spots. Just sayin.
Fishysam
Posted 1/14/2016 10:46 AM (#799489 - in reply to #799456)

Interesting thought slamr
ESOX Maniac
Posted 1/14/2016 12:16 PM (#799512 - in reply to #799479)

Slamr - Its always the same argument "I own the spot" or " I own the lake" ...You don't own either if you don't own the entire lake and surrounding property.. If you fish where I fish, I'll gladly share spots, and what was working or not working... I'll even send you satellite images w/ spots marked with a +, and details, right PP?

My fishing time is and has been limited by work and family. Here's my primary lake list, meaning lakes I would go back and fish, if I have the time. But there's lots of others to explore and little time..

Cass Lake MN
LCO WI
Grindstone WI
Clear WI
Papoose WI
Crab WI
Presque Isle WI
Cresent WI
Dogtooth Ont. CA (trophy walleye-pike-lake trout-splake)
Kagagi/Crow Ont. CA
Katamiagamak/Kay Ont. CA
Cedar Ont. CA
Cliff Ont. CA
WI River - Petenwell & Castle Rock south from WI Rapids to Hwy 82 bridge.

Then again my spots might not work for you due to all kinds of factors, including time of year, weather, moon cycles, etc. or you're just not using the right tactics.

I like the overrated notion of someone spending 100's of thousands of dollars to have a lake front vacation home....it keeps them off the waters I'm fishing!

Have fun!
Al
North of 8
Posted 1/14/2016 1:12 PM (#799520 - in reply to #799465)

I can only speak for the lake association where I live, but for the time I have owned my place, about 12 years, they have strongly advocated for maintaining or restoring the riparian zone by the water. It is in our newsletters, we have had speakers at our annual association discuss how to restore native plants, etc. We have a couple diehards on the chain who maintain their lawns down to the water but they are also the folks who won't pay $25 a year to join the association. They also are the kind of folks who complain if the association volunteers don't put in the navigation markers, which the association pays for and maintains, soon enough.

But, just as there are selfish lake owners, there are selfish musky fishermen. Of all the boat owners I have interacted with as a volunteer for clean boats/clean waters over the last 10 years, only musky fishermen in response to my concern about Eurasian Milfoil have said "so what, lots of other lakes to fish". Two different ones said exactly that. Now the vast majority of musky fishermen are concerned about water quality but some are selfish slobs, just like lake property owners can be selfish.
timhutson1
Posted 1/14/2016 4:11 PM (#799558 - in reply to #799479)

Slamr, Interesting comparison. I think you might be on to something; in some cases it probably does boil down to a certain outlook or general perspective on life/fishing.
MOJOcandy101
Posted 1/14/2016 4:30 PM (#799560 - in reply to #799456)

Slamr, its a a bit different argument. "I've worked my a** off to find these spots and why would tell everybody and their brother about this spot" vs "I own a section of lakeshore so therefore it should be up to me/my neighbor to decide whats best for the lake"

Yes it is close but i see both sides of the spot argument. I'll tell people about a shoreline that is good, but its up to them to find that patch of cabbage that always holds a fish.
Pointerpride102
Posted 1/14/2016 4:39 PM (#799561 - in reply to #799479)

Slamr - 1/14/2016 9:42 AM

Funny to think that there is an argument from muskie fisherman saying 'it's public, we should all be able to use it!', when there is also a thread on this site where a lot of people will not share spots because they don't want other people on THEIR spots. Just sayin.

Of course the fundamental difference being that lake property owners actively try to prevent/stop people from using the water, whereas anglers simply keep knowledge to themselves. They aren't attempting to stop someone from using the lake, which is the ultimate goal of some of these "anti-musky" groups. Just try and improve an access once, $10 says a group of concerned lake property owners will have issues with it and the reasons will change once each are proved false.
Nershi
Posted 1/14/2016 5:14 PM (#799573 - in reply to #799456)

Let's get this straight, a body of water is not a 'spot', unless it is a tiny puddle.

If people don't want people on 'their' lake maybe they should buy their own lake, or at least move to one with no public access. There are plenty of lakes in OTC with public boat launches that get very little boat traffic and are very peaceful. A lot of them have pretty killer fishing too.

I grew up on a lake with lots of boat traffic. The noise was annoying at times but living on the water by far made up for it.
Abu7000
Posted 1/14/2016 8:07 PM (#799614 - in reply to #799456)

Since you are offering Al, I'll take the ale the info on the lakes and spots where you have seen the world's record...pm mail please...
Pointerpride102
Posted 1/14/2016 8:32 PM (#799618 - in reply to #799614)

Al is great at sharing. Although I think the best tip he gave me was the flash earth website. It's awesome.
esoxaddict
Posted 1/14/2016 9:35 PM (#799633 - in reply to #799456)

Is it really all that surprising? Considering the fact that the average lake house is half a million and up, and the Lake Association members/property owners have a collective $20 - $30 million invested in their properties even on a small lake?

I'm not saying its right, but the mindset is certainly understandable, considering that you're dealing with people who have lived their lives with the kind of money that allows them to make the rules.
jonnysled
Posted 1/15/2016 8:22 AM (#799673 - in reply to #799456)

average lakefront property in Wisconsin = $400,000.00 and the median is $270,000 so that curve doesn't have a normal distribution. the few giants support quite a few regular old houses and cabins. living on the water is a double-edged sword. part of the year it's pristine and peaceful and then there is the chaos. not much different than living in lake country in general. 6 months of the year it's a playground and 6 months of the year it's paradise. when you live every day in it or on it you wish they were all the latter ... pretty easy to understand but not realistic unfortunately.
North of 8
Posted 1/15/2016 8:38 AM (#799676 - in reply to #799673)

One thought, as someone living on a lake in northern WI, I don't think I have ever heard anyone in our association complain about boat traffic from fishermen. Now, PWCs would be a different matter. Like the clown that rented a cottage and every day would take the PWC out and spin circles about 50 yards off shore for 15 to 30 minutes at a time. It was one of the old two strokes and you could not hear yourself think it was so loud. I figure he liked to be dizzy.

But fishermen? Never heard a complaint about too many fishermen. Someone did express concern that competitors in the Hodag tournament were going to crash some day racing across the lake I live on trying to be the first to the bridge and then first to get down the river and onto the next lake. It used to be quite the sight, 3 or 4 boats going top speed, essentially playing chicken, seeing who would back off first, given that only one could pass under the bridge at a time. Haven't seen that it a while.
ESOX Maniac
Posted 1/15/2016 10:15 AM (#799694 - in reply to #799614)

Abu7000 - 1/14/2016 8:07 PM

Since you are offering Al, I'll take the ale the info on the lakes and spots where you have seen the world's record...pm mail please...

Eddy - You have mail!

Have fun!
dfkiii
Posted 1/15/2016 10:52 AM (#799699 - in reply to #799456)
Subject: RE: The truth about the MN Muskie stocking vs lake property owners!

North of 8 - 1/15/2016 8:38 AM

One thought, as someone living on a lake in northern WI, I don't think I have ever heard anyone in our association complain about boat traffic from fishermen. Now, PWCs would be a different matter. Like the clown that rented a cottage and every day would take the PWC out and spin circles about 50 yards off shore for 15 to 30 minutes at a time. It was one of the old two strokes and you could not hear yourself think it was so loud. I figure he liked to be dizzy.

But fishermen? Never heard a complaint about too many fishermen. Someone did express concern that competitors in the Hodag tournament were going to crash some day racing across the lake I live on trying to be the first to the bridge and then first to get down the river and onto the next lake. It used to be quite the sight, 3 or 4 boats going top speed, essentially playing chicken, seeing who would back off first, given that only one could pass under the bridge at a time. Haven't seen that it a while.

Like North of 8 wrote, there isn't much concern about fishermen or the associated boat traffic. Thankfully most of the folks out fishing are looking for a quieter, wilderness experience and don't blast "Slayer" or "Death Metal for the Mentally Impaired" over their boat sound systems. I've heard a few Brewers or Packers games on, but it wasn't so loud that I was troubled by it. If I were really bothered by it I could always mow the lawn or run the leaf blower/chain saw. It's amazing how guys can blast heavy metal music in their boats but the sound of yard machinery gets them moving pretty quickly.

Most of the people who come by our place are pretty cool and either hurry by when they see we are outdoors or are simply exchange a friendly greeting. I'll occasionally ask how they're doing and will offer up info (yes, including spots) if they are particularly nice. Then again you have the jack@sses who bounce lures off the dock and boat even when we're sitting lakeside. I've even had to help a few of them unhook my boat cover. Yet another reason why it's important to keep your Knipex handy.

Some general comments for the posters above.
1) Not all property owners are created equal. A few have their "golf course" lawns go down to the water's edge. Most don't, as it's an invitation to the ducks and geese to come and crap all over the lawn.
2) Not all townships allow 50 to 100 foot wide lots and look like the Fox Chain of Lakes. The minimum in our township is 200ft and many properties are much larger than that, but the Governor and the building lobby who have him in their pocket are working on eliminating that ordinance.
3) Our county also requires a buffer zone along the shoreline to preserve the "wilderness" appearance. Yet another ordinance Governor and the building lobby friends are working to eliminate.
4) Property owners have a responsibility to maintain the littoral zone and most take it very seriously.
5) Lastly, while there are already muskies in the lake I wish they would stock more. Yes, you heard it - a property owner who would like MORE muskies.

Not all musky fishermen are the same. Not all property owners are the same. Be aware that propagating stereotypes only weaken your arguments when you wish to promote change.

Edited by dfkiii 1/15/2016 10:55 AM
NickD
Posted 1/15/2016 11:34 AM (#799710 - in reply to #799456)

dfkiii,

Sounds like I need to fish in your part of the world. That's cool that property owners like you actually want to take care of the lake shore. I was too harsh in my diatribe above but seeing docks pop up every 50ft along a previously undeveloped shore is tough to watch.

It's a very good reminder for people like myself that the lakes I see every year don't represent all lakes.
North of 8
Posted 1/15/2016 12:49 PM (#799723 - in reply to #799710)

Yes, my township and county in N. WI also requires the riparian zone be maintained with all new construction, so lawns to the waters edge will eventually be gone, unless the governor and his minions have their way. They have passed legislation taking away the right of counties and townships to have legislation more restrictive than the state. Oneida and Vilas county have basically given the middle finger to the legislature on this but not sure how long they can maintain that.

And for those of you that don't read the paper daily, our esteemed senator from the northwoods, Mr. Tiffany is pushing through legislation that will make it easier for fish farmers to take water from trout streams, alter the banks of streams and even put dams on streams to get their water. It has been opposed by the trout fishermen's coalition, the rivers alliance and even folks within the DNR but as always, Tiffany has ignored them and gone with the donors. Best legislator money can buy. He also supported doing away with allowing counties and towns to have tighter water front rules, despite what most of the elected local officials wanted. Again, they don't put enough money in his campaign funds, I guess.

Edited by North of 8 1/15/2016 2:24 PM
Pointerpride102
Posted 1/15/2016 8:52 PM (#799818 - in reply to #799699)

dfkiii - 1/15/2016 10:52 AM

North of 8 - 1/15/2016 8:38 AM

Like North of 8 wrote, there isn't much concern about fishermen or the associated boat traffic. Thankfully most of the folks out fishing are looking for a quieter, wilderness experience and don't blast "Slayer" or "Death Metal for the Mentally Impaired" over their boat sound systems. I've heard a few Brewers or Packers games on, but it wasn't so loud that I was troubled by it. If I were really bothered by it I could always mow the lawn or run the leaf blower/chain saw. It's amazing how guys can blast heavy metal music in their boats but the sound of yard machinery gets them moving pretty quickly.

Most of the people who come by our place are pretty cool and either hurry by when they see we are outdoors or are simply exchange a friendly greeting. I'll occasionally ask how they're doing and will offer up info (yes, including spots) if they are particularly nice. Then again you have the jack@sses who bounce lures off the dock and boat even when we're sitting lakeside. I've even had to help a few of them unhook my boat cover. Yet another reason why it's important to keep your Knipex handy.

Some general comments for the posters above.
1) Not all property owners are created equal. A few have their "golf course" lawns go down to the water's edge. Most don't, as it's an invitation to the ducks and geese to come and crap all over the lawn.
2) Not all townships allow 50 to 100 foot wide lots and look like the Fox Chain of Lakes. The minimum in our township is 200ft and many properties are much larger than that, but the Governor and the building lobby who have him in their pocket are working on eliminating that ordinance.
3) Our county also requires a buffer zone along the shoreline to preserve the "wilderness" appearance. Yet another ordinance Governor and the building lobby friends are working to eliminate.
4) Property owners have a responsibility to maintain the littoral zone and most take it very seriously.
5) Lastly, while there are already muskies in the lake I wish they would stock more. Yes, you heard it - a property owner who would like MORE muskies.

Not all musky fishermen are the same. Not all property owners are the same. Be aware that propagating stereotypes only weaken your arguments when you wish to promote change.

Much truth in this post. I shouldn't paint with such a broad brush. I work with many lake associations, and many of them are concerned with the resource and truly do want to take care of it. Like anything in life you always have "those people" that put others in a bad light. Just because they are like that, doesn't mean all lake property owners are.

And yes, lawn mowers and leaf blowers are extremely annoying while you're on the water! Argh!
ESOX Maniac
Posted 1/15/2016 10:04 PM (#799833 - in reply to #799818)

Pointer spot on! I was on Presque Isle and endured ~ 2 hrs of leaf blower in October at MF Outing. WTF, you're in the northwoods, its not Chicago, the leaves will be taken care of by mother nature!

Maybe lay down some arificial turf and you won't have to mow either, and also buy some really big artificial Christmas trees and artificial birch trees too! Easy peasy!

Some care, some don't!

Have fun!
Al
dfkiii
Posted 1/16/2016 8:15 AM (#799849 - in reply to #799833)

ESOX Maniac - 1/15/2016 10:04 PM

Pointer spot on! I was on Presque Isle and endured ~ 2 hrs of leaf blower in October at MF Outing. WTF, you're in the northwoods, its not Chicago, the leaves will be taken care of by mother nature!

Maybe lay down some arificial turf and you won't have to mow either, and also buy some really big artificial Christmas trees and artificial birch trees too! Easy peasy!

Some care, some don't!

Have fun!
Al

It's pretty simple Al. In my neck of the woods, we're encouraged by the local fire department to follow the DNR's "Forested and Firewise" guidelines (http://dnr.wi.gov/files/pdf/pubs/fr/FR0419.pdf). It's their desire (and quite frankly, mine) to deter wild fire damage to homes and structures. These guidelines include removing combustibles from a specified radius of buildings and to keep the buffered areas "clean and green".

As a side benefit, keeping the buffer areas mowed also reduces the incidence of ticks. I can't tell you how many deer/raccoon/coyote/fox/squirrel/rodent cross the property on a daily basis, but it's safe to say they are all carrying a variety of ticks along with them. Avoiding Lymes is something we've been lucky enough to do so far and I plan to continue swaying the odds in our favor.

That said I'd estimate less than 10% of the property is actively maintained, so the yard machinery isn't used that much but it's good to have it handy when thoughtless fishermen are within earshot.
ESOX Maniac
Posted 1/16/2016 9:00 AM (#799855 - in reply to #799849)

Yes, you need to take care of your property, actually common sense for any property owner. BTW: I do admire those beautiful lakefront log homes and also appreciate the added structure provided by the docks. The leaf blower is a great deterent for not only those thoughtless fisherman, but also those pesky critters that are invading your property.

http://www.lymediseaseassociation.org/index.php/about-lyme/tick-vec...

The, "its my lake" argument for stopping stocking of muskies is still illogical if there's a public access.
Have fun!
Al
Pointerpride102
Posted 1/16/2016 9:14 AM (#799857 - in reply to #799855)

It really is amazing how loud a leaf blower is on the water. I was out fishing this fall and someone had a professional yard crew cleaning up their yard (I presume the actual owners were not there). I didnt notice it at first (or didn't care), but they just kept going and going. When they finally stopped I felt like my ears were ringing.
dfkiii
Posted 1/16/2016 9:25 AM (#799859 - in reply to #799855)

ESOX Maniac - 1/16/2016 9:00 AM

Yes, you need to take care of your property, actually common sense for any property owner. BTW: I do admire those beautiful lakefront log homes and also appreciate the added structure provided by the docks. The leaf blower is a great deterent for not only those thoughtless fisherman, but also those pesky critters that are invading your property.

http://www.lymediseaseassociation.org/index.php/about-lyme/tick-vec...

The, "its my lake" argument for stopping stocking of muskies is still illogical if there's a public access.
Have fun!
Al

I view myself more of an invader on the animals' "property". They were here long before me and will be here long after I'm gone. I stay out of their way, and so far they've chosen to stay out of mine (except for red squirrels - zero tolerance policy when they start chewing on the cabin).

Only speaking about WI, the public trust doctrine effectively changes the "it's my lake" statement to "it's my lake as much as it is yours" regardless of public access. Everybody owns the lakes.

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)