Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

[Frozen]
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2 3 4
Now viewing page 4 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Does the world record have to be harvested?

Frozen
Message Subject: Does the world record have to be harvested?
jay lip ripper
Posted 12/8/2008 3:53 AM (#348708 - in reply to #348363)
Subject: RE: Does the world record have to be harvested?

what about harvesting it just to bring down sprays fish to end the 60 years of @#$$$%? sprays is fake and most know it but hayward greed will never let it happen!
sknmnt
Posted 12/8/2008 7:22 AM (#348716 - in reply to #348363)

Just for the record, I absolutely agree that a 'New World Record" must be and should be killed to be accepted as such. C&R records are all smoke and mirrors.

As far as replica vs. skin mounts, I don't care what you guys do. I just like to have all the info on the table for an angler to make an intelligent and informed decision.

I have always supported and practiced the concept of C&R, though I'm more of a "selective harvest" guy. I also support the right to choose when applicable. I support education and not indoctrination in the discussion of C&R.

C&R is not a "no kill" practice. There are guys on here that will and do kill more fish by accident in one year than I will kill on purpose.

I'm sorry if some of you feel threatened by those thoughts.

john skarie
Posted 12/8/2008 7:30 AM (#348717 - in reply to #348716)

You are absolutely right Doug. Prolific fishermen who handle fish pooryly will kill a good amount a fish in a season.

How many we will never know.

But there are a lot of fishermen catching many fish or a few that in all probability have 100% successful releases in a season. Delayed mortality % numbers are an average, it doesn't mean that every angler will have a certain % die.

So it really isn't fair to compare all anglers that practice 100% C&R to the angler that doesn't as an apples to apples comparison.

Stange's comments that you like to use were meant to potray that. C&R is only as effective as the angler practicing it.

So at the end of the day an angler can choose to kill a fish, handle them poorly and let them go or handle them as best they can.

Only one of those choices is the least damaging to a fishery other than not fishing at all.

JS
Jump to page : 1 2 3 4
Now viewing page 4 [30 messages per page]
Frozen
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)