Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Speed Power Handle vs Paddle Handle

Message Subject: Speed Power Handle vs Paddle Handle
cast4musky
Posted 6/15/2014 8:39 PM (#715845)
Subject: Speed Power Handle vs Paddle Handle

I realize that most Musky Fisherman now have a choice of Handles to put on their Reels as many now come with both a power handle and a Paddle handle. It seems like most are installing the Power Handle .....Why ???.........We're trying to get maximum inches per turn. But just for heck of it....I wanted to try something. I took the power handle off my Tranx HG and Installed the Paddle handle that is standard on all the New Abu Nacl reels. I performed a little test to see which handle would take in more line reeling as fast as I could.. I was shocked that the paddle handle was the winner. I then used a stop watch and a video recorder and in a 15 second period playing the film back in slow motion counting the revolutions of the handle. And again the smaller Paddle handle won allowing me to get 3 1/2 more turns on the reel over the larger power Handle in 15 seconds..... So why are we not using the smaller handle that allows our wrists to turn that handle faster to achieve more line pickup which = Faster speeds Feels very nice on rhe trax just have to drill and tap one small hole for the nut cover and screw...... Mike
newbski
Posted 6/15/2014 10:09 PM (#715856 - in reply to #715845)
Subject: RE: Speed Power Handle vs Paddle Handle

yes
People who bought the high speed lexa 400 to take up slack line at high speed should try switching out the stock handle for a calcutta te handle or the like. A handle 60mm long is going to take substantially longer to crank through a full turn than a 45mm handle. Won't have the leverage/power of course, but for slack line pickup makes perfect sense.
jlong
Posted 6/17/2014 8:21 AM (#716174 - in reply to #715856)

The longer shafts on the "power handles" are to reduce Torque (fatigue).... not to increase speed.
newbski
Posted 6/17/2014 8:32 AM (#716176 - in reply to #715845)
Subject: Re: Speed Power Handle vs Paddle Handle

Right -- so if using a fast reel to pickup slack line fast, use a short handle. If using it to pull against resistance, use long handle.
cast4musky
Posted 6/17/2014 8:38 AM (#716178 - in reply to #715845)

Exactly, a PG with a nice sized Paddle handle, will actually bring in very close, if not more line faster than the HG with a Power Handle ... Interesting
curleytail
Posted 6/17/2014 9:10 AM (#716185 - in reply to #716178)

cast4musky - 6/17/2014 8:38 AM

Exactly, a PG with a nice sized Paddle handle, will actually bring in very close, if not more line faster than the HG with a Power Handle ... Interesting

That's IF the angler has the stamina to handle the extra torque they will feel from the shorter handle all day.

For me, I find it easier to reel faster with a longer handle and less torque, than slower with a shorter handle and more torque. Same idea that bike riders normally select a low enough gear ratio to give them a good pedaling cadence of around 80 rpm vs high gears and grinding away at them.

Somewhere in there, there's a perfect balance though. And if you're just talking about picking up slack, then the faster the better.

Tucker
JLR
Posted 7/17/2014 12:02 AM (#721019 - in reply to #715845)

What other balanced handles fit on a Tranx? Just blew my gears out....
SixBowls
Posted 7/17/2014 9:04 AM (#721050 - in reply to #716178)

cast4musky - 6/17/2014 8:38 AM

How many times did you turn the handle in 15 seconds?
bigfoot
Posted 7/17/2014 12:46 PM (#721093 - in reply to #715845)

Not to split hairs, but the longer handle increases torque you put on the gears. A shorter handle means less distance to travel, but you will need to apply more force to the handle to maintain speed. In your test, what did you reel in? If you are reeling a bucktail in at top speed, you may get a different result than something with basically no resistance.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)