Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Help with leaders

Message Subject: Help with leaders
Fatjake
Posted 6/15/2014 12:34 PM (#715756)
Subject: Help with leaders

I'm still a total newbie

Lookin at leaders. And I see so Much different stuff
Why do I need a real heavy leader for jerk/glide baits

What should I buy to fish everything ?
Propster
Posted 6/15/2014 3:32 PM (#715783 - in reply to #715756)
Subject: Re: Help with leaders

You don't need "heavy" for glide baits but I'd recommend single strand wire to help keep the bait from catching in the leader as it swings side to side, but you can certainly use a flourocarbon as well. If I had to use one style for everything my first choice would be 130 lb fluoro and my second would be single strand steel with one ball bearing swivel and a #5 Staylock snap
Esox0031
Posted 6/15/2014 4:47 PM (#715793 - in reply to #715756)

I always use a leader that's about 20 inch [trolling, jerking, casting, whatever] I prefer to use long leaders, just in case a fish starts rollin' in the leader wire, the last thing you want is your line to be cut in those teeth ... right? I would highly recommend the AFW Tooth Proof Single strand titanium wire, in 100lb version. Been fishing with a leader of this kind for a whole season straight and didn't had any problems [big pike up to 50 inch] Use a ball bearing swivel, and either a crosslock or a staylock just like propster recommended and youre good to go! Unlike 100lb FC, titanium is much thinner, so your glide bait will keep it's action!
southern comfort
Posted 6/15/2014 6:00 PM (#715809 - in reply to #715756)

For my jerk and glide baits I use an 8-10" single strand leader with no swivel and no snap. It has a closed loop at one end to tie to my braid and a split ring on the other end to attach to the lure. It is light and really enhances the action of my lures,
Booch
Posted 6/16/2014 12:51 PM (#715982 - in reply to #715756)

I don't use any leaders longer than 9" or heavier than 50#. Maybe it's the Midwest angler in me not wanting a bunch of hardware at the end of my line, but until a fish with a 15" snout snips it off I see no reason to change. I like the Sampo Leaders, but survived plenty of years on the cheap Berkeley black ones. The only leaders that I've personally heard of failing are the Bass Pro Titanium Terminators - and they were on the first few casts, and had nothing to do with a fish.

I'm on the fence about single strands for jerk/glide baits. Seems to me a kink/bend in a sold leader is much weaker than one in a stranded, flexible leader. Sure they reduce tangles in hooks, but the one time they do tangle you have a good chance at a kink/bend.

I see no reason to use a "heavy" one unless you wish to change the intended behavior of the lure.

brmusky
Posted 6/16/2014 12:54 PM (#715984 - in reply to #715756)

I used the same solid wire leaders for everything I fished with for years - it works. If you want to buy a different leader for different situations - go for it but you don't have to.
Zinox
Posted 6/16/2014 1:45 PM (#715997 - in reply to #715756)

I use a 200lb sufix hardmono leader for everything.
Turkeyt
Posted 6/16/2014 4:00 PM (#716029 - in reply to #715756)

Jake, I sent you a Personal Message
JimtenHaaf
Posted 6/18/2014 10:05 AM (#716433 - in reply to #715982)

Booch - 6/16/2014 1:51 PM

I don't use any leaders longer than 9" or heavier than 50#. Maybe it's the Midwest angler in me not wanting a bunch of hardware at the end of my line, but until a fish with a 15" snout snips it off I see no reason to change. I like the Sampo Leaders, but survived plenty of years on the cheap Berkeley black ones. The only leaders that I've personally heard of failing are the Bass Pro Titanium Terminators - and they were on the first few casts, and had nothing to do with a fish.

I'm on the fence about single strands for jerk/glide baits. Seems to me a kink/bend in a sold leader is much weaker than one in a stranded, flexible leader. Sure they reduce tangles in hooks, but the one time they do tangle you have a good chance at a kink/bend.

I see no reason to use a "heavy" one unless you wish to change the intended behavior of the lure.

Hmmm. How much time do I have to pick this apart? LOL.
So, you wait until a fish bites through a 50lb leader before switching? Why do you even use a leader then? Let me guess - you're using 80lb line too...
Believe me, there are plenty of fish that can inhale 15". Remember Jake with his 2lb Dawg swallowed up to the eyes?(Pic attached) And that's probably the biggest lure used today.
And if you're using any Dawg style baits, remember that muskies head-hunt these style lures. I've lost plenty of fish due to their bad aim, when they bite half of the head, and half of the leader.
IMO, if you like to shy away from flouro, you can get by with 2 styles of leader. 174lb single strand, and 175lb 49 strand. Both made in the USA by Stealth Tackle.

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(Jake and Jerome Fall 2008 (The Big One) 010 [640x480].jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Jake and Jerome Fall 2008 (The Big One) 010 [640x480].jpg (80KB - 232 downloads)
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)