Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Muskie Boats and Motors -> Ranger 375 or a Tuffy?

Reply New post
Message Subject: Ranger 375 or a Tuffy?

Posted 1/23/2003 12:51 PM (#7738)
Subject: Ranger 375 or a Tuffy?

I have the option of purchasing a Older Ranger 375 console bass boat or a smaller tuffy with a tiller. Which would you pick as a first boat? I am leaning to the Ranger because it is bigger and looks like it would be easier to fish jerkbait and cranks out of because the large decks. Any suggestions.

Posted 1/23/2003 1:55 PM (#57241)

What model Tuffy?

Posted 1/23/2003 1:56 PM (#57242)

What size engines? What years are they? What accessories are on them? These are all things to think about.

Lance

Posted 1/23/2003 2:04 PM (#57243)

The Tuffy is a smaller one I think it a renegade it has a 50hp merc. The Ranger has a 150hp Evinrude. The boats are both the same year. The tuffy is in a little better condition and is 2 years newer. The only problem with the Ranger is it will need its carpet replaced in a year or two. The Ranger has 2 smaller live wells while the tuffy has a 50in. I release every musky I catch. The Tuffy is cheaper by $700. They are both equiped about the same. 2 Lowrance depth finders on the Tuffy and a Garmin and a eagle on the Ranger, they also have the same trolling motor.

Posted 1/23/2003 3:53 PM (#57244)

Well, speed costs money. How fast do you want to go?

If the boats are in good condition, relatively, either would make a nice fishing platform. Carpet should be fairly easy and inexpensive. Then it comes down to the lakes you fish. Bigger lakes, maybe go with the Ranger for those long runs. Smaller lakes, maybe then the Tuffy for the stealth advantage.

Posted 1/23/2003 4:36 PM (#57245)

If the Tuffy has a 50 HP motor on it chances are it is a Esox Limited. The boat would be 16'9' long and 72" wide. Without knowing the year of the boat makes it a little difficult, however to have the Ranger recarpeted is not cheap. You are probably looking at $1000 to $1500 at the factory. An older 150 Evenrude could have the VRO which was not real reliable. It is a lot cheaper to repair or replace a 50 hp than a 150 hp. Check both boats for transom and floor rot. Do not buy either boat without having a trained mechanic check out the engine. Also if your from Wisconsin, Tuffy is right here to do any repairs you may need and so is Mercury if that's the engine it has on it. Good luck on your choice.

Posted 1/24/2003 9:50 AM (#57246)

Do you want a tiller, or steering wheel? Do you want the extra storage area that is in the 375 compared to the tuffy? Do you have small children (My wife wouldn't let me get a bassboat because of this)? If I could pick one, I will take the ranger. I have a Tuffy right now, and love it, but it is a 18' with a console, and a 115 yamaha. I told my wife I was tired of sitting in the back holding on to the engine when I was shopping for a boat. I had mainly fished out of tiller boats growing up, and wanted a console. If you have small children, I would probably go with the tuffy. If you are single, or the children are older, I would go with the Ranger.

Lance

Posted 1/24/2003 12:13 PM (#57247)

If its a Tuffy Esox LTD....trust me its an awesome boat for waters under 6000 acres.

I had one for four years and I put a ton of fish in it. Really the best boat I ever had for # of fish in it. They really fish nice and are stable and I guided out of mine as did Dave Dorazio and many others. So it will handle three guys real nice. Very easy boat to launch on lakes you normally cant get into...say in Vilas co.
Lightning
Posted 2/12/2003 12:16 PM (#59648 - in reply to #7738)
Subject: RE: Ranger 375 or a Tuffy?

I bought my first boat! I decided on the Ranger. I just liked its options better. Thanks for your input guys. Now what do I get the wife for Valentines day and her B-day?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Reply New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)