Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Muskie Boats and Motors -> Small boat owners

Reply New post
Message Subject: Small boat owners
kevinj
Posted 3/19/2011 10:29 AM (#487841)
Subject: Small boat owners

Hey guys
I just got a 14'er to run around in. I am used to a much larger boat and was hoping to get some rigging and setup tips from guys who have been using small rigs for a while. I would appreciate any tips and pics that you can offer.
I searched back posts and found a few things and still looking
PM or email [email protected]
kj
LonLB
Posted 3/19/2011 11:10 AM (#487846 - in reply to #487841)
Subject: RE: Small boat owners

How many will be fishing out of it?

I fished out of a 15.5' boat growing up. My father, brother and I all fished out of it at the same time, most times. Exclusively Musky fishing for several years.

You just have to be careful how you organize things. And the person in the middle learns to overhand cast everything.
kevinj
Posted 3/19/2011 11:35 AM (#487850 - in reply to #487846)

Two at most
The boat is a tiller with 10hp Sea Nymph FM142
has weird rod holders in the sides, too small for muskie stuff

small deck up front I was thinking of making a removable deck for the back
Just a carpeted sheet of plywood for second guy to cast from
There is a bench seat and sides that it can lay on
Also fishfinder put it in the middle on a swivel mount to see from trolling seat and casting front? or is ??
ttrap
Posted 3/19/2011 1:27 PM (#487865 - in reply to #487841)
Subject: Re: Small boat owners

Its up to you but with a smaller boat like that I always put my fishfinder up front because you can see the depth from the front and the back without having to turn around to look back if its in the middle(gets old turning all day).
Landry
Posted 3/20/2011 2:33 PM (#487976 - in reply to #487865)

I owned the same boat and I put in a nice front deck and flip up back deck (just extended it to transom). I loved that boat - it was VERY stable for a little aluminum and the deck made all the difference.
PM me with your email and I will send u pics if u want
Landry
deafmuskyhunter
Posted 3/20/2011 7:05 PM (#488004 - in reply to #487841)

I mount my depthfinder up front and I can see the contour on gps from back of boat pretty ok Granted mine is 858c. Is planning on install a permanent deck on back of my 15' next month. Haven't decide on which frame to use. Aluminum tube or wood.
djwilliams
Posted 3/20/2011 9:04 PM (#488019 - in reply to #487841)

I had a 16 ft lund that I muskie fished out of for years One of the boats I looked at for ideas belonged to guy who used to be on here called the Lone Wolf. Met him at Clear Lake 2001 or 2002. His boat was set up mostly for trolling. Wish he could send you some pics. I built a floor for my boat and a front casting deck. I think a good bow mount trolling motor is important, whether it is hand controlled due to cost restraints or something like a Powerdrive. Setting up rod holders for trolling was a piece of cake, and a tiller is good boat to troll out of. I had my electronics back there so I could just look down while motoring. I can send a couple pics if you send me an email.
ToddM
Posted 3/21/2011 11:55 AM (#488071 - in reply to #487841)

I have a 14ft princecraft filler. I have a front and rear finder and a 55lb hand control motor on the front. Wind can turn you on a dime so a hand control gives you instant speed and direction control and more lb thrust will help you alot in a strong wind. A 24v system usually won't fit in a smaller boat so go as big as you can with 12.
smada
Posted 3/21/2011 7:00 PM (#488149 - in reply to #487841)

I have a 14 foot Starcraft that I fish out of. It was bare when I got it just the three benches. I built a carpeted front casting platform from the front bench up, then put a foot controlled trolling motor on the bow. I like having my depthfinder up on the front deck, that way I can turn it around and watch it from the back. I just recently built a rear casting platform, and took out the middle bench seat completely. It really frees up a lot of space without the middle bench in there, which was unnecessary for the majority of the fishing I do. I like having all open space between the front and rear platforms. I've got a 15HP Evinrude on it and it runs about 19 mph with just me in it. Also the PVC rod holders are awesome. It really helps not having 5-6 rods lying around waiting to be stepped on.

The pictures are from before I removed the middle bench and built the rear casting deck.

http://img231.imageshack.us/img231/2033/dscn0061x.jpg
http://img825.imageshack.us/img825/9597/dscn0063o.jpg

Edited by smada 3/23/2011 5:36 PM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Reply New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)