Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Upgrading Drag Systems

Message Subject: Upgrading Drag Systems
MuskieMark01
Posted 3/1/2011 7:54 PM (#484598)
Subject: Upgrading Drag Systems

I just ran across a few threads online about upgrading drag systems in reels. From what I gathered, you just remove the stock drag washers and put in better ones. Has anyone ever done this? And if so, do you have an estimate to how many more pounds of drag pressure you got from it?
PIKEMASTER
Posted 3/1/2011 11:18 PM (#484639 - in reply to #484598)
Subject: RE: Upgrading Drag Systems

go to http://www.smoothdrag.com I use Carbontex drags in all my reels with a light coat of Cal's Drag grease, the grease waterproofs the drag washers and gives the drag a smooth start up. Carbontex will give U the most drag pressure U could get from your reel, each will be different.
LonLB
Posted 3/2/2011 11:11 AM (#484688 - in reply to #484598)
Subject: Re: Upgrading Drag Systems

Same as Pikemaster.

You want to grease the washers IMO. Bass guys do it because the drag starts up much smoother. But another big benefit is that it keeps contaminants out.

STUSHSKY
Posted 3/2/2011 1:27 PM (#484704 - in reply to #484688)

can anything be substituted for the cal's grease?
Mackerel
Posted 3/2/2011 3:30 PM (#484721 - in reply to #484598)

Shimano has reel grease that is supposed to be good, but stick to Cal's. Also, when you take out the old washers, clean up the grease and oil in and around the area where you will be installing the new washers so that they're not contaminated by residual oil and grease.
esoxaddict
Posted 3/2/2011 4:30 PM (#484738 - in reply to #484598)

I've never had a problem with the stock drag systems. I'm wondering if people aren't wrecking their drag washers by either cranking them down too tight, letting them get saturated with grease and oil, and/or putting their reels back together with the drag washers backwards. It's only muskies. It's not like we're tarpon fishing or anything.
PIKEMASTER
Posted 3/2/2011 4:30 PM (#484739 - in reply to #484598)

Cal's and Shimano are the only 2 that I know of. U can install CARBONTEX washers dry if U like. If U use your drag, grease them, if U lock down them, dry will be OK. If U ever have a reel with Carbontex Washers U will want them in every reel U own.
Ranger
Posted 3/3/2011 6:16 PM (#484967 - in reply to #484598)

Smoothie Replacement washers are much, much better than the stock washers on older Ambassadaurs. Buy them on-line at Hatterass Outfitters.
LonLB
Posted 3/4/2011 10:22 AM (#485069 - in reply to #484967)

I agree with Ranger. Those older washers were pretty bad. Much of the time they are soaked with oil, and they have zero power after that.

They were pretty sticky too.

As Abu's go, however, I really think their carbon matrix washers are really nice, and I don't see much of any difference between them, and carbontex, or any others.

The stock washers on Abu's are dry, but can be greased.

I'm not sure if they do it on the Toro's or not, but the other Revo's have a chincy fiber washer under the main gear.

This washer can be upgraded to a carbon matrix washer from an Ambassadeur round reel, and I think it does make a difference.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)