Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: THAT LADY HAS NO ARMS!!! - Briguy
- (Added by: muskiemook)

Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

More Muskie Fishing -> Basement Baits and Custom Lure Painting -> Aplying epoxy (envirotex) help please/.

Message Subject: Aplying epoxy (envirotex) help please/.
RickJames
Posted 7/20/2010 5:40 PM (#450973)
Subject: Aplying epoxy (envirotex) help please/.

Hey guys,
First off I want to say Ive been "lurking" around here for awhile and gotta say you guys are great. ALOT of talent in here for sure! Some of these baits just blow my mind!
I made my first glider the other day and and gave it a nice paint job ( well to me its a nice one lol). Now that Im applying the top coat its VERY unlevel in areas and in some spots it seems like the etex separates and makes a pinhole or even larger. Im on my 3rd coat now hoping things will even out but its not looking to good. The tall flat side of the glider is where the problem is. I applied it straight from the bottles without thinning it. Should I of tried to thin it from the beginning and applied multiple thin coats? Looking at some of your guys work your lures look like a molded piece of glass! I will try and add a picture if it will help. Thanks for and help or suggestions its greatly appreciated, Rick
[email protected]
RickJames
Posted 7/20/2010 5:51 PM (#450976 - in reply to #450973)
Subject: RE: Aplying epoxy (envirotex) help please/.

Sorry poor quality pics. Its not as bad as the picture looks.lol. but you get the idea. thanks again, Rick

Edited by RickJames 7/20/2010 5:54 PM

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(lure1.jpg)

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(lure2.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments lure1.jpg (25KB - 140 downloads)
Attachments lure2.jpg (23KB - 157 downloads)
RiverMan
Posted 7/20/2010 6:09 PM (#450984 - in reply to #450973)
Subject: Re: Aplying epoxy (envirotex) help please/.

You may have put it on too heavy. After you put the coating on run a propane torch quickly (swipe it quick) over the coating which will heat it and get it into a thinner coating and smooth out the surface. Brush it on so that everything is covered but once it's covered don't keep adding more. Next run a torch over it and put it ont the dryer.

Jed
Kenslures
Posted 7/20/2010 7:36 PM (#450991 - in reply to #450973)
Subject: RE: Aplying epoxy (envirotex) help please/.

Hey Rick, I agree with Riverman, looks like you tried to apply it too thick. I've been using Envirotex for years. I've had a few problems but none lately. Once I used a spray glitter that I never used before. It caused all kinds of problems with fish eyes & spots not staying covered. Then I put a coat of Krylon Acrylic Clear Gloss over the glitter & that was the end of the problem. Now I don't use spray glitter anymore, I add glitter to the etex once I have it mixed. Another thing to make sure you have it mixed exactly 1-1. I use disposable syringes that I get from a vet clinic. I mark each syringe so I don't get the wrong part in the syringe. Mark them hardner & Resin. I use the same syringes for over a year now. I don't even clean them out. Just put them back in the tube they came in. I think the 12 ml syringes are about $0.40 ea at a vet clinic. Also you need to make yourself a drying rack of some sort. Etex needs to turn for several hours. Time varies alot with temp & humidity. Hope this helps you out & good luck with your next bait. Ken
RickJames
Posted 7/21/2010 7:25 AM (#451033 - in reply to #450973)

Thanks for the tips guys, I will take it to the work bench.
Hoosierbaits
Posted 7/22/2010 11:23 AM (#451266 - in reply to #451033)

Rick,
Another thing that might cause the problem. If your doing this at high temps pot life on Etex is shorter. If you get to that point you will get what I see in the picture. Using the torch on it will help it but you'll never get it smoothed out. I use Etex in cooler weather and EX74 in hotter weather.
For mixing I use bathroom size paper cups. I mark a line inside both cups the same length from the bottom and fill to the marked lines with hardener and resin. I then pour it into another larger Kitchen size paper cup to mix it up. I hate the syringe method.

Don
www.HoosierHandmadeMuskyBaits.com

wolftackle84
Posted 7/22/2010 12:41 PM (#451284 - in reply to #450973)

do the same a hoosier but after mix them together i put something over the top of the cup for 10 to 15 min...to degas it...you will notice a diffrence..

tight lines

[email protected]
RickJames
Posted 7/22/2010 6:47 PM (#451376 - in reply to #450973)

Thanks,
I like the idea of the paper cups and I also hate using the syringe method. Ive had SO many problems with my etex last year i gave up on it. ( Thats why I started using the syringe.) I bought THREE separate batches of etex at different locations and continued to get a "greasy" look to the finish. If that makes any sense. I was so sterile when applying it, I could of done a surgical procedure at the same time lol. I then started spraying 2 part auto with good results. To my eye though, you cant beat a good ol' etex topcoat. Even though Ive yet to master it I like the results when done properly. Also thanks for the tip on the degassing, I will also give that a whirl as well. Thanks all, RickJames
h2os2t
Posted 7/23/2010 9:48 AM (#451463 - in reply to #451376)

Use a digital postal scale in grams for 50/50 by weight and do not use paper cups that are coated with wax. 2 part epoxy s do not like wax.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)