Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Are Salmo's as good as Saric makes them out to be?

Message Subject: Are Salmo's as good as Saric makes them out to be?
ghitierman
Posted 2/21/2008 10:58 PM (#302968)
Subject: Are Salmo's as good as Saric makes them out to be?

I have been wondering ever since I started watching the Musky Hunter TV show if Jim Saric is full of it or if Salmo's are actually really good baits. He fishes the Turbo Jack and Skinner all the time and always catches big fish. I don't know if this is cause A) he is just that good or B) he fishes them that much that something is bound to bite or C) the baits are just darn good baits. I have also noticed that with the exception of the MG spinnerbait you don't see many others lures at all being advertised on the show which probably has a lot to do with why he throws them so often.

On a side note did anybody notice that it looked like he was on okauchee last week?
muskellunged
Posted 2/21/2008 11:52 PM (#302979 - in reply to #302968)
Subject: Re: Are Salmo's as good as Saric makes them out to be?

I always think about buying a skinner, and Jim Saric is the reason why. Is it a case of Jim making the lure look good, or the lure making Jim look good? I think it's Jim making the lure look good, and the lure producing well enough that Jim is happy to promote it. I'm sure sponsorship has something to do with it, but I believe he'd be crazy to endorse an inferior product. I'm sure Jim tries everything out at some point, but I believe(guessing here) he'll always throw a "sponsored" bait on the camera, while allowing the guest fisherman use anything else. It's called being loyal to your sponsors, and, of course, putting muskies in the boat- which Jim does year in and year out. His confidence in Salmo really makes me want to try them out. One things for sure, Jim "insists on Salmo"

Mike
jonnysled
Posted 2/22/2008 12:22 AM (#302983 - in reply to #302968)

i love the black cherry maas maurauder. it's their walk-the-dog topwater. love it ... and the color is great under low light.
ShaneW
Posted 2/22/2008 7:18 AM (#302996 - in reply to #302968)

The Skinners are really really nice and have replaced Jakes/Grandmas as my shallow water twitch baits. They have more flash than either of those two baits when twitched and can be worked very quick through heavy cover. The downside is they are VERY buoyant so if you are looking to get down deeper than 4'-6' you will need to go with a DD or DDD.

Shane
Targa01
Posted 2/22/2008 7:27 AM (#302997 - in reply to #302968)

I have a few of Jim's videos and he uses a lot of the 'standard' stuff that we do but I have noticed the use of the Skinner and a few others on his tv show. One thing I've heard him repeat time and time again is a lure is a tool and he's talked about how the Skinner can match the bait fish (especially shad) and give him a lure that runs a little shallow when trolled. I've thought about trying one also just because he's pretty confident in it plus I like their walleye cranks and the darter for hard water.
Posted 2/22/2008 8:20 AM (#303009 - in reply to #302968)
Subject: RE: Are Salmo's as good as Saric makes them out to be?

Obviously Salmo is the main sponsor for Jim's show. If you really want to figure out his go to baits, look baits other than salmos that are thrown. For example, I have noticed that he almost always has a hellhound attached to a rod or laying around the boat
Obfuscate Musky
Posted 2/22/2008 9:52 AM (#303036 - in reply to #302968)

The Salmo Slider is a good trolling glide bait. I think everyone should own at least one of those. If I were casting though I use a Manta. I had a Turbo Jack but sold it because I preferred the pacemaker and topraider. Mass Marauder is a good bait, I have a friend whos done very well with them. Never tried the Skinner, I have too many Grandmas and Jakes to start buying those. My 2 Cents
happy hooker
Posted 2/22/2008 9:58 AM (#303037 - in reply to #303036)

the mass maurauder is the BEST hooking % WTD topwater I ever threw,,even the 3 lb northerns get the hooks
tmag
Posted 2/22/2008 12:57 PM (#303095 - in reply to #302968)
Subject: RE: Are Salmo's as good as Saric makes them out to be?

Hey Guys,

Long before I ever saw these U.S. renowned fisherman were using Salmo, I had been using them particularly for pike.

You may wish to contact some of the European guys as they like Salmo a great deal. I believe that Bertus Rozemeijer does some design work for Salmo, etc.

Best,

Todd
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)