Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Low Geared Reels

Message Subject: Low Geared Reels
woody
Posted 2/20/2008 1:31 PM (#302464)
Subject: Low Geared Reels

Looking to buy one or two lower geared reels this spring as my C3's and Trions can't handle Double 10's or even deep crankbaits for an extended period.

Just wondering what everyone else is using? I know the Abu 7000 is a workhorse and may be what I purchase, but I'd rather get something less "bulky" and hopefully under $150.
ChadG
Posted 2/20/2008 1:54 PM (#302474 - in reply to #302464)
Subject: RE: Low Geared Reels

I have one season on a Pete Maina reel with 4.2 gears and it is still going strong. A little slow if you need to put speed on a dbl 10 but great at normal speed and reel nice with deep cranks. That is all I have used it for. I did buy 7000's late in the year to get more speed for 10's and specialized the Maina reel for cranks. Seems to be the ticket, for me anyway.
RyanJoz
Posted 2/20/2008 9:51 PM (#302628 - in reply to #302464)
Subject: Re: Low Geared Reels

push button 7000 reels for sure. stay away from the 7000i series. sent back 6 to abu. gears broke, spool shaft is half the diameter in the new ones as previous models, bearings are pulled out further (this causes more flex), and the lever likes to re-engage mid cast if not EXTREMELY CAREFUL. If you can find one you will love the cranking power and how easy it is to burn the 10's but if instant anti-reverse is a must, you may be disappointed.
momuskies
Posted 2/20/2008 10:27 PM (#302640 - in reply to #302464)

Ryan-

Are you talking about the red 7000 series Abu reels? Also, what were you doing when the reels failed?
Reef Hawg
Posted 2/21/2008 10:12 AM (#302772 - in reply to #302464)
Subject: RE: Low Geared Reels

If you have just a few more $$ to spend I'd invite you to check out the Penn 975. After running an ihsn for part of a season, I made the switch, and the 975's have quickly become my reels of choice for the dubba 10's!
momuskies
Posted 2/21/2008 10:25 AM (#302776 - in reply to #302464)

I too would like to buy a 975, but not gonna happen this year. I am going to run an ihsn for light duty and a 7000ic3 for heavy duty. Both are new this year (to me anyway) as I am substantially retooling in anticipation of a great year. I spent $160 total for two reels in excellent condition.
RyanJoz
Posted 2/21/2008 4:55 PM (#302866 - in reply to #302464)

the reel would even lock up on me when i caught a fish. i caught a 47.5x28!!!!!!!!!!! and the reel would not turn the spool unless i dropped the rod. the spool shaft flexes too much and the spool actually hits the frame. also since the re-engagement device has 4 pickups instead of 2 (like old push button style abus) it takes NO effort to re-engage the reel mid cast. this causes the gears to be rough. i also had an instant anti reverse bearing come apart from the sideplate on a hookset on a 49" ski. i am an abu garcia die hard but i will not stoop to buying the new lever reels. when i say push button reels i am talking about a 7000, 7000C3, 7000 CS ROCKET, and reels along those lines. they have the plastic crank instead of the large rubber one. the new garcia reels would hold up for about 3-4 outings and then it was like they just fell apart. many will vouch that if extra care is not taken, the lever will re-engage the reel. make sure when you are ready to cast that it is all the way back. those who own them will see this in the first half hour that the lever will go about 3/4 the way back to the sideplate and stop. re-engage the reel and pull the lever back again. if this is not done, you will speak to garcia on a regular basis. they know me on a first name basis from calling in so many times. i also do not deal with representatives on the phone but go straight to the head of reels nationwide. i own 5 7000 series reels and have never had a problem with the old style. i owned 2 of the new ones and sent them back, got replacements, sent the replacements back, and sent the replacements-replacements back. every new reel in the 7000 size they shipped me failed. simply cranking 10" jakes, to crawling 10" swimbaits, cranking 10" kickin' minnows, topraiders, dawgs, mag dawgs.........they just dont hold up.
smellslikebass
Posted 2/21/2008 11:30 PM (#302978 - in reply to #302464)

How about the Abu Garcia 6500 TC?
RyanJoz
Posted 2/22/2008 8:52 AM (#303017 - in reply to #302464)

i would stick with a lower gear ratio. 5.3 is as high as i would go for those big bucktails. the 6.3 is meant for burning LOW RESISTANCE baits, such as rattle traps or topwaters but not for hard pulling baits like double 10 bucktails. ask many about how they burn up a c4 pulling big baits. it is not what they were designed to do but it will work for a while. you must realize too that having a higher gear ratio stresses your arm more when pulling high resistance baits. i have 6500 c3's with the power handle that work ok, but they don't compare to the old 7000.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)