Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> 10' rod quick set

Message Subject: 10' rod quick set
Rusty
Posted 9/21/2007 8:48 PM (#276051)
Subject: 10' rod quick set

Anybody out there using longer rods for sucker fishing quick sets, I am looking for one thats not too whippey or whimpy. Looking for a good way to fish suckers deep. Do you still use a bobber. Most times I keep the sucker just within sight to see if I have a follow and maybe need to give a little twich to induce a strike. Have used circle hooks but don't like the fact that a big sucker may not go done the hatch for 20 minutes.
muskyboy
Posted 9/22/2007 2:08 PM (#276090 - in reply to #276051)
Subject: Re: 10' rod quick set

I use a 9 foot Professional Edge XXXH St. Croix rod with no problems. An extra heavy action 10 foot rod would work fine and I know a few people using them. Always use a quickstrike rig, single or double treble, no bobber and just a heavy sinker in front of your leader. That will get the sucker down to any depth and just use a line counter reel or count wraps to get the depth you prefer. You can catch fish on suckers at any depth, it just depends where the baitfish are and where the active muskies roaming
rusty
Posted 9/22/2007 6:55 PM (#276101 - in reply to #276051)
Subject: RE: 10' rod quick set

Thanks,
i fish pewaukee and vilas county quite a bit, do fish illinois much. I had a girlfrien from hoffman estates Courtney Doan shes got a big family and both her parents teach there I use to live off Algonquin Rd, in Walden condo0miniums
tuffy1
Posted 9/23/2007 7:53 AM (#276115 - in reply to #276101)

You can use a bobber in some situations and go without it in others. I usually have 2 rods down off the sides of the boat, and 2 off of bobbers. The bobber suckers are used to keep suckers higher up and sometimes over the weeds. If you're looking to fish the meat deeper, you don't need a bobber.

HERBIE
Posted 9/23/2007 8:40 AM (#276121 - in reply to #276051)

MAKE SURE YOU USE GLASS OR COMPOSITE,NO GRAPHITE OR SOONER OR LATER YOU WILL HAVE ONE EXPLODE ON THE HOOKSET ESPECIALLY IN COLD WEATHER. WHEN YOU ARE CASTING EVERYTHING IS MOVING WHEN SETTING HOOK WITH LIVE BAIT YOU SETTING ESPECIALLY A REAL BIG AN ALMOST UNMOVEABLE OBJECT.
I HAVE FOUND OVER THE YEARS A STOUT,7'-7 1/2 TO BE BEST FOR GOOD HOOKSETS (YOU ACTUALLY CAN PUT A STRONGER HOOKSET AND MORE PRESSURE THAN WITH A LONG ROD VS THE ADVANTAGE OF FORGIVENESS AND,EASIER CASTING,AND BIGGER FIGURE EIGHTS WHEN CASTING WITH A LONGER ROD) AND HAD THORNE BROS BUILT MINE TO MY SPECS. IF YOU CALL THEM THEY HAVE THE SPECS.
COMMERCIALLY,ST CROIX CATFISH RODS AND SUCH WILL DO THE JOB BUT ARE HEAVY ESPECIALLY WITH A 7000 ON IT WHICH ALL ADDS UP DURING THE COURSE OF THE DAY IF YOU ARE WORKING THE BAIT PROPERLY VS JUST "DRAGGING OR SOAKING".

WHEN RUNNING DEEP USE RUBBER CORE SINKERS , 2 - 1 OR 1/1/2 OZ ABOUT 20"-24" ABOVE THE BAIT WILL CONTROL MOST SUCKERS AND STILL GIVE FREEDOM OF MOVEMENT AND PUT THEM ON THE LEADER NOT ABOVE CAUSE THE SINKER IS THE POINT MORE TIMES THAN NOT IS WHERE CONTACT WITH ROCKS IS MADE AND RESULTING POSSIBLE NICKS AND FRAYS WHICH COULD CAUSE A FAILURE AT THE HOOKSET.
WHEN RUNNING DEEP PUT THE BAIT STRAIGHT BELOW THE BOAT (IF YOUR LINE IS AT MORE THAN 45 DEGREES YOU ARE EITHER MOVING TO FAST OR NOT ENOUGH WEIGHT) WITH THE ROD TIP CLOSE TO THE EDGE OR IN YOUR HAND SO YOU CAN WATCH THE BAIT ON YOUR LOCATOR.YOU WILL THEN KNOW JUST HOW DEEP YOU ARE RUNNING AND OR WHEN A FISH COMES UP TO LOOK AT OR IS FOLLOWING IT. MANY TIMES THEY WILL FOLLOW/WORRY THE BAIT FOR A LONG WAYS BEFORE TAKING IT.
THE OTHER WAY TO RUN DEEP AND VERY NATURAL IS WITH A VERY LIVELY SUCKER AND NO WEIGHT OR A SMALL 1/2-3/4 OZ WEIGHT RIGHT ON IT'S NOSE (DEPENDING ON THE MOOD OF THE SUCKER,SOME ARE DEEP RUNNERS AND SOME YOU GOT TO TRAIN AND MAKE GO DOWN WITH SOME WEIGHT) AND LONG LINED. THEN IT IS BEST TO KEEP THE ROD IN YOUR HAND AND WORK IT.
rusty
Posted 9/23/2007 7:47 PM (#276179 - in reply to #276051)

Hey Steve thanks for the advice we will probably be up next year with the madison group. when does the season close
MikeHulbert
Posted 9/24/2007 7:08 AM (#276221 - in reply to #276051)
Subject: Re: 10' rod quick set

I use the Hulcano Rigs made my Stealth Tackle, as well as a Professional Edge Meat Stick that Keith made me a while back.

By far the best sucker rod I have ever used.

Give Keith a call and ask him about the Meat Stick that he made for me....it is STRONG
rusty
Posted 9/24/2007 9:51 AM (#276235 - in reply to #276051)

DO YOU HAVE HIS NUMBER
MikeHulbert
Posted 9/24/2007 10:01 AM (#276238 - in reply to #276235)

Keith with Professional Edge: 612-802-4629
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)