Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Dirty Little Worm Gear Burner!!!!
 
Message Subject: Dirty Little Worm Gear Burner!!!!

Posted 4/1/2002 10:57 AM (#2407)
Subject: Dirty Little Worm Gear Burner!!!!


Yeah that's another name for me. LOL. I've been going through worm gears like a person that goes through toilet paper after eating at Taco Bell. I guess I should be more specific by stating what reels that I've been going through the worm gears. I've been replacing some worm gears and pawls in my Abu Garcia 6500 C3's. Now let me just say that I lubricate the worm gear and it's working parts pretty religiously after each trip. I can't say for sure if it's both reels that's going through the gears or it's just one(they both look the same and I haven't really payed attention to whether it's the same reel or not). I've noticed that the gear seems to be wearing on the right side because that's where it tends to stall all the time. My question is: Do you think that the worm gears are just wearing out prematurely due to something that I've been doing wrong(this is probably the case). Or is it a manufacturing flaw on how the level wind assembly is built? (example:Is it possible that the bar that the pawl and line guide rides on. Is not fitted nicely?)The latter question is directed to one reel that I have...I suspect it's one reel that's been giving me fits.

catch ya later,
Krappie

Posted 4/1/2002 11:53 AM (#28030)
Subject: Dirty Little Worm Gear Burner!!!!


Check the 'track' the assembly rides in for a bend, nick, or foreign material. If nothing, then look at the line guide to be ceertain that is OK. If nothing, send the reel to Chuck Brod.[:p]

Posted 4/1/2002 3:18 PM (#28031)
Subject: Dirty Little Worm Gear Burner!!!!


To tell the truth,I have gotten rid of alot of my premature equipment failures by not using Power-Pro!Many will disagree,but its hard on equipment!Last year over 90 days on the water using Tuf/Whip-lash Only!Might help? Jeff

Posted 4/1/2002 7:14 PM (#28032)
Subject: Dirty Little Worm Gear Burner!!!!


Dude, quit using those Zebco 202s....I started to say something at Cave Run but didn't want you to freak! Also I found a tip for that chartreuse rod you were using![;)] [:sun:]

Posted 4/1/2002 7:21 PM (#28033)
Subject: Dirty Little Worm Gear Burner!!!!


Krappie: I used to use Garcia's alot. I would almost guarentee you that the problem you describe is not bad worm gears, but the pall that rides in the worm gear. When the pall gets worn, they have a tendency to stay to one side or the other and if not changed soon, will groove the worm gear.

Try changing the pall and see if the problem doesn't go away.

Muskie regards,
Larry Ramsell
www.larryramsell.com

Posted 4/1/2002 7:39 PM (#28034)
Subject: Dirty Little Worm Gear Burner!!!!


Hey guys thanks a ton for the information!!!! I's very much appreciated!!! Larry I'll try placing a new pall in the reel and see if that will remedy the situation. I usually replace the pall right away when changing the worm gear, but I'm going to take your advice and just replace the pall.

Handyman thanks for pointing that out about the PowerPro. I love using the PowerPro, and may have a tough time changing, but I most definitely will head your warning. In fact maybe I'll try an experiment and place some Tuff LIne on the reel that I think is suspect. That way I can see if it indeed could be the line causing me some grief.

Steve W. thanks for the pointers and if I still have problems I may have to "hit you up" for Chuck Brod's number.

Sponge ya dirty potlicker don't let the cat out of the bag about those St. Croix Rods that have the chartruese tips on them. It's so I can see my rod tip in that chocolate milk that Cave Run has during the high water. Hey maybe you're right about those Zebco 202's though. I should start to spend more money on a reel maybe.[:knockout:]
Hey you need to try and make it up to Wisconsin there "A". Ya der eh, I could try and put you on some nice fish that will eat larger prey than those Threadfin Shad. Man, some of the Fatheads that I use for Crappie fishing are bigger than those Threadfins. That blows my mind that the skies munch on those little crumbs down south. I guess the slimers thinks they're grits.

catch ya later,
Krappie


Posted 4/2/2002 11:10 AM (#28035)
Subject: Dirty Little Worm Gear Burner!!!!


Larry brings up an excellent point! Try reversing the pall first, sometimes that corrects the problem. Forgot that!! First thing to 'go' is...

Posted 4/2/2002 11:45 AM (#28036)
Subject: Dirty Little Worm Gear Burner!!!!


I went through the exact thing last year, thought my C3s were defective as I blew through a couple worm gears. It turned out it was just debris in the track.

I couldn't believe it because it had never happened before, and I was kinda keeping them clean. But I went through a stretch where I fished a lake with a lot of algae, soupy crap water, and sure enough I haven't had any problems away from that lake!

I do think the worm gear on the Abu C's could be made of some harder steel maybe, and just a microscopic bend in the track tip will screw it up. But it is a low $ reel. I would like to know if they use the same exact worm gear on Morrums or whatever??

Posted 4/2/2002 12:19 PM (#28037)
Subject: Dirty Little Worm Gear Burner!!!!


I keep a couple of extra pawls in my tackle box. Just replacing the pawl has worked for me every time. If your ordering some why not get a few extras? Most of the Abu's use the same one. I have helped out some friends with my spares as well.
Other parts worth having extras of is the spring washers used to put tension on the drag washers. Not the spring washer between the handle and the drag star, the ones inside the cover by the drag washers. It's time to replace these when you have to really tighten up the drag to get it to hold.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)