Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> removing hooks from reef hawgs

Message Subject: removing hooks from reef hawgs
sledman5
Posted 1/30/2007 11:37 PM (#235208)
Subject: removing hooks from reef hawgs

Im trying to remove the two front hooks from my reef hawg, and am wondering how to do it? I have been told you need to remove the cotter keys, but I am wondering how to do that. I have tried pulling on the hooks to no avail. I have heard that the reef hawgs work better with only two hooks, is that true? Thanks for the help
Reef Hawg
Posted 1/31/2007 12:53 AM (#235210 - in reply to #235208)
Subject: RE: removing hooks from reef hawgs

First off, most work just fine with all three hooks, as is. It also depends on whether it is the small or large one. I sometimes remove the middle hook from the small one after cutting it, but I don't change the positioning of the front one either, just upsize it to a 4/o. If you want to remove them, use a small plain screw driver or edge of a pocket knife to get under the edge of the cotter, and just pop the end up and pull it out the bottom. It is really that simple. I wouldn't recomend reusing the same cotter though, as it will surely open easier the second time... Same goes for the larger model(8") but I'd suspect you are working on the smaller one. The three hooks seem perfect for the 8" and a bit of weight will help acheive a different(better in some peoples eyes) action depending on how it worked out of the box(each one is a bit different).
Muskie Treats
Posted 1/31/2007 8:55 AM (#235249 - in reply to #235208)

How do split rings on the 8" affect the action? I like to have the movement that the split rings provide, but I don't want to screw-up the action.
MikeHulbert
Posted 1/31/2007 8:58 AM (#235251 - in reply to #235208)

Very Very Simple

Cut the hooks off, split ring two new ones on.
Reef Hawg
Posted 1/31/2007 10:09 AM (#235271 - in reply to #235208)

Treats, it does affect action somewhat. Other than a couple 50"ers, I cannot think of any fish that I lost due to the cotters..just kidding. Really though, the split rings will take some of the action of a Reef Hawg away, especially if you do the back one. That said, there are ways around it, and it requires weight which is no big deal to do if you have to have them ringed.
Reef Mod
Posted 1/31/2007 5:39 PM (#235372 - in reply to #235208)

After changing hooks on Reefhawgs and putting on splitrings, they all lost some or all of their action.
So, I took my Reefhawgs and cut the cotters on the belly as close to the body as possible, then ground them down with a Dremel tool. I found a spot on each with some tape and some hooks and added one open-eye screw eye and a 4/0 Eagleclaw Lasersharp hook in the belly and did the same in the back. Who needs 3 trebles on a 6" lure anyway?
Worked better than the split ring models.
Muskie Treats
Posted 1/31/2007 9:11 PM (#235417 - in reply to #235208)

Thanks guys. I thought I heard that rings kill the action somewhere.
Pete Stoltman
Posted 2/1/2007 9:53 AM (#235506 - in reply to #235208)

Just curious if anyone has played around with "T ing" the hooks on Reef Hawgs. What's your experience been?
luckymusky
Posted 2/1/2007 5:29 PM (#235643 - in reply to #235506)

yeah i { t } all my hawgs to protect the finish somewhat. action is the same..
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)