Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Cabela's Guidewear?

Message Subject: Cabela's Guidewear?
Bull
Posted 10/6/2006 12:00 PM (#213021)
Subject: Cabela's Guidewear?

Finally about ready to take the plunge and buy a new set of raingear, GOOD raingear. I'm looking for a suit (with bibs and parka) that is good in the worst of rains, warm when its 50-75 degrees out, but doesnt have to be good for the frozen weather.

Suggestions?

Thanks,

Bull!
Stein
Posted 10/6/2006 12:07 PM (#213025 - in reply to #213021)
Subject: RE: Cabela's Guidewear?

I just bought a set of BPS Pro Qualifier before my last trip to Canada and it was perfect. Same price as the 10x set that I bought 10 years ago. Looks like they will hold up better and actually designed/ cut specifically for fishing, as opposed to some raingear designed for all outdoor activities. Jacket $199, bibs $179. Probably very similar to the guidewear and they are the same price. I wanted to try it on before dropping that amount of cash, and our local Cabelas is opeing next month and our BPS is open now. I probably would have been happy with either, but can testify to the BPS stuff after a 10 day trip. The other nice feature with all current gore-tex is the outer shell doesn't absorb any moisture. My 10x gear would dampen the outer shell. Sucked to put on the next morning.
mikie
Posted 10/6/2006 12:24 PM (#213030 - in reply to #213021)

I'm real pleased with my Cabelas gore-tex. m
2Rodknocker
Posted 10/6/2006 12:26 PM (#213031 - in reply to #213021)

Bull,
I have tried all different types of raingear, and they are all pretty good....for a while. It seems like they just lose their waterproof "stuff" after a few seasons. For me, the first areas that go bad are on top of the knees and the seats. No matter what brand I've tried they all go bad in those places quick. My new set of raingear is made by GameHide and is the Stormhide series.
The seats, elbows and tops of legs are covered by a waterproof, rubberized material that wont be rubbed off any time soon.
I'd at least check out the GameHide stuff. They seem to be a few bucks cheaper, but the quality is second to none.
Rod LaCaze
TJ DeVoe
Posted 10/6/2006 12:43 PM (#213039 - in reply to #213021)

Bull,

I too second the Cabela's guidewear! I've used the Gander stuff, didn't hold up. But after being on the road with the PWT crew this year and seeing the Bass Pro 100mph gear, I would definitely take a look at that stuff. I really liked the hood on there parkas because there are different adjustments that make that raingear more fishable and breathable around your face. That is the only downfall I found with the Cabelas Guidwear was the hood. Otherwise it's great stuff! The parkas are nice, little bit longer and cover lower on your body but the jacket is by far much more fishable. Just my .02...
dcates
Posted 10/6/2006 1:08 PM (#213051 - in reply to #213021)

I am pleased with the Cabela's Guidewear performance.  You do need to periodically replenish the coating on the outside of the cordura (Revivex?), but the process is simple (wash, spray on, the dry).  Doing so keeps the material from absorbing water.  Even without the exterior coating, you'll stay dry, but the garment will be much heavier.
cpr fish
Posted 10/6/2006 1:10 PM (#213052 - in reply to #213021)

I’ve got a few years on my Cabela’s guidewear without any problems or complaints! Comfortable and light enough to wear during warm weather. Easy to stack up a few layers underneath in the spring/fall.

Good raingear is essential. Lot’s of quality stuff to choose from.
muskie! nut
Posted 10/6/2006 3:43 PM (#213085 - in reply to #213021)

I bought my first set of Cabela's GoreTex back in 1996. And.....I'm still using them. Are they completely waterproof? No, but I'm betting nobody has 10 yrs on their rainwear and it still is waterproof. Like that character dcates says, you have to "replenish" them now and again. Of course, taking care of them also helps, don't put them away damp (or wet), don't tear them, and they will be the finest investment you've ever did. I also use mine to break the wind on chilly morning or evenings. They don't make you sweat either, like some of those rubber suits do.
muskymeyer
Posted 10/6/2006 3:58 PM (#213088 - in reply to #213021)

Best rainsuit I have ever had . . . albeit most expensive, but not for me because the wife bought it . I have probably gone through 10 rainsuits and this one is far superior to any other one I have had, from cheapie plastic to helly hansen rainskins. The elastic cuffs on the inside were a big seller for me. I was tired of water pooling in the elbow of my other suits and with the guidewear that is no longer a problem. Sometimes a little warm to wear in the summer but once September thru November roll around I am glad for the thinsulate. It took three years for the waterproof "coating" to wear off in some areas so this spring I sprayed it and no problems since. And the thing has more pockets and storage areas than a magicians coat. The only problem I have is when driving the boat (tiller) the water that hits my face runs down the inside of the suit and gets me wet, but if I could ride instead of drive I could stay completely dry with this suit.

Corey Meyer

Edited by muskymeyer 10/6/2006 4:02 PM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)