Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Crankbait hooks

Message Subject: Crankbait hooks
Rockin' SV
Posted 7/6/2006 5:32 PM (#199565)
Subject: Crankbait hooks

I was wondering, why do crankbaits seem to have more short shank hooks than any other type of lure? Does it have to do with the action of the lure?
A part two to this question is does anybody know what size the Triple D takes? Maybe a 4/0 short shank?
Beaver
Posted 7/6/2006 7:14 PM (#199579 - in reply to #199565)
Subject: RE: Crankbait hooks

I use Eagle Claw Laser sharp 704's in 2/0, 3/0 and 4/0, and I "T" every belly hook.
As long as the hooks can't tangle, those are what I use.
Beav
Rockin' SV
Posted 7/6/2006 7:56 PM (#199587 - in reply to #199565)

Beaver, are you using the short shanks or the regulars?
nxtcast
Posted 7/6/2006 8:03 PM (#199589 - in reply to #199565)

I use 774 eagle claw. 4/0 5/0
They are a long shank hook! I also T the belly hooks and turn the hook point up and twist them just a little. They don't rub the belly as bad!

ToddM
Posted 7/6/2006 8:16 PM (#199594 - in reply to #199565)

Depends really on how many hooks are on the bait. For instance and 8" bait with three hooks need shoret shanks otherwise they would foul with one another. Same with 6" baits with three hooks. Could be too that weighting in the prototype stage of the bait dictated certain hooks too. I like the short shank hooks like the mustads.
muskynightmare
Posted 7/6/2006 8:21 PM (#199597 - in reply to #199565)

I think short shanks have there place of some thinner cranks, like shallow raiders, for example. even some short shanks wrap around the body when the bait hits the water, ruining the action.
Rob
h2os2t
Posted 7/6/2006 9:22 PM (#199609 - in reply to #199565)

I think the DDDs came with 2/0 mustads, not sure. With the DDD to heavy a hook will make it sink. If you want it to float go to light wire hook like Todd likes from mustad. Playing around with the size hook in different locations can change the balance, nose heavy or tail heavy and that can give you different action. Sometimes a good thing sometimes a bad thing. I have a TR Twitcher that I put a 2/0 on the back by mistake and is one of my old reliables. With a 3/0 on the back it is a also ran, someimes it pays to play.
Posted 7/7/2006 5:26 AM (#199629 - in reply to #199565)

longer shank trebles give a better hook-up ratio. remember to t the belly hooks. longer shank hang deeper natrually to hook slashing fish.. many manufatures use no ring also to have hooks lay closer to the bodies when baits are trolled for less weed foul ups. this also gives a better hook-up and reduces baits from being thrown on a jump
Beaver
Posted 7/7/2006 6:51 AM (#199631 - in reply to #199565)

I use the regulars. The 704 are heavier than the 774's.
I put the hooks on the lure and see if the can wrap around one another. If they can, I use one size smaller.
I have some lures with a 4/0 in the front, a 3/0 in the middle and a 4/0 in the butt. Or on small lures that are "over-hooked', like a 7" lure with 3 trebles, I use a big front hook and eliminate the middle hook.
I "T" the belly hooks so the hook isn't wasting it's time rubbing against the hook. Give me metal away from the body. When you retrieve them, all hooks sound like 2 raccoons in a garbage can anyway.
I learned by building lures just how much they can add or detract from weight.
I have one lure that I'm supposed to be working on now......Pollacks and Powertools, now there's a book I should write....anyway, with 3/0's, it glides just under the surface. 4/0's give it a slow sink. 5/0's make it sink faster, but it still glides well but it takes away from that slow drop that I like, but if you want one to sink fast, just go to bigger hooks......just so they can't tangle.
Beav

Edited by Beaver 7/7/2006 6:56 AM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)