Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Muskie Boats and Motors -> Where do you keep your trolling motor batteries?? Front or Back?

Reply New post
Message Subject: Where do you keep your trolling motor batteries?? Front or Back?
MuskyBoy
Posted 4/9/2004 4:13 PM (#103500)
Subject: Where do you keep your trolling motor batteries?? Front or Back?

Where do you keep your trolling motor batteries?? Front or Back?
kevin
Posted 4/9/2004 8:25 PM (#103516 - in reply to #103500)
Subject: RE: Where do you keep your trolling motor batteries?? Front or Back?

Mine are in back.but that was how the boat was wired. Don't really have a spot for it anywhere upfront
Shep
Posted 4/10/2004 7:42 PM (#103575 - in reply to #103516)

Mostly is gonna depend on the boat. My Lund Esox Angler SS has them in the floor next to the console. I guess that would be midships.
TECK
Posted 4/11/2004 4:06 PM (#103665 - in reply to #103500)

Mine are under the floor.
Mother
Posted 4/28/2004 10:57 AM (#105394 - in reply to #103500)

Try to keep them as close to the TM as possible to minimize voltage/amp loss due to wire length and gauge.
Heat build up is the major cause of the loss/resistance.
There is a formula to calculate the loss based on wire gauge, length, voltage and amps. I've also seen a graph - where ???
I can't remember after I got 'popped' by a little 220v !!!

Weight distribution should be considered - if the batts are forced to go at the stern - BIG wire should be used.
A 16 ft boat will need about 20ft. + of wire to snake from Batt. to TM. A long way for hi-amps and low voltage to push.

Mother
kevin
Posted 4/28/2004 9:10 PM (#105429 - in reply to #103500)

As a electrician I will say that Mother has it right about going to the bigger wire guage, the bigger the guage, the less resistance.. As for the formula, not sure if this is the right one but here goes: Multiply Distance(length of wire) by Current(expressed in Amps) by ....it goes on from there and refers me to a chart... and I am not typing all that..lol.. sorry.. maybe this website will work for it: http://www.alanwire.com/tech/voltage.html I think easiest thing is go with the biggest wire you can....
ESOX Maniac
Posted 5/4/2004 8:18 PM (#105885 - in reply to #103500)

Hi guys- The Alanwire website is talking about AC voltage drop for your house or office- very different than a DC circuit with a 12V battery. So just for grins- I checked the DC resistance of #10AWG coated copper wire. It's 1,29 Ohms / 1000ft. That doesn't seem like to much. Howver, I also took a look at a typical boat like mine- the batteries are in the rear and the TM is on the bow. So the total distance for my 17.5 ' boat is maybe 20' once you consider all the turns & bends to get to the plug for the TM. Lets say the TM draws 25A.

Now the total circuit length is going to be ~ 40ft (pos 20ft added to neg 20')
Total circuit resistance is the total distance divided by 1000, then times the ohms/1000ft:

R = (.04/1000) * 1.29 = .0516 Ohms.

The voltage drop is current times resistance = 25A * .0516 = 1.29V
The power loss in the circuit is the voltage drop times the current = 1.29V * 25A = 32.25 watts

We can also calculate it via current squared times the resistance. Either way the number is the same. What this means that while I'm running the trolling motor at 25A my cables are giving off ~32 watts of heat. That's wasted power that's not getting to my trolling motor to do useful work, i.e., get me on the spot while fighting the waves.

Keep in mind that a 12V battey is considered fully discharged at ~10.5 volts. A fully charge 12V battery is about 12.7V - this means we normally have a working voltage window of about 12.7 - 10.5 = 2.2V . Now if I subtract the voltage drop from the 12.7V, I get ~ 11.41V. My trolling motor is going to be seeing a working voltage of 11.41V even when my battery is at 100% charge. The voltage drop severely reduces the available voltage/power at the trolling motor.

Now if I upgrade the cables two sizes to #6AWG . It has a DC resistance of .510 Ohms/1000ft. So once again (40/1000) * .510 Ohms= .0204 Ohms

The voltage drop is going to be 25A * .0204 Ohms = .51V We've reduced the voltage drop by .78V or .78/1.29 = 60% The cable losses are now .51V * 25A = 12.75W or 32.25 -12.75/32.25 = 60%

The lesson here is: use the biggest cables that you can if your batteries are in the back of your boat. Usually that's based on the largest gauge wire you can fit into the trolling motor connectors.

You can also use even larger cables by attaching a short pig tail to the cable ends, f.ex if the connector will only accept a #8 AWG - attach a 6" piece of #8 to the #6AWG and insulate it well - you will get the voltage drop of the # 6AWG - some guys just cheat and cut a few strands of the #6AWG until it fits into the #8AWG termination. This works also.

Mother
Posted 5/6/2004 9:07 AM (#106053 - in reply to #103500)

Esox Maniac - ZALTon of Zap ? !!

WOW - thats diggin in, pounded the books, grindin formulae and not leavin' until you got the dirt.

Fantastic reply, I knew I saw something that lead me to runnin' 6 gauge wire for my TM, but nothing as
concise and info packed as your post.

I gotta buy one of your lures.

Mother

PS- Manners - It's not polite to reach, ask - please pass me the 'ZALT'
Cooking - I think it needs a little 'ZALT'
Police - "ZALT" who goes there !!
Theatre - Where for "ZALT" thou Romeo'
stephendawg
Posted 5/11/2004 10:53 PM (#106499 - in reply to #103500)

I have (3) 12 volt batteries in the front on my 19' deep-vee with a 125hp moving the rig. The nice thing about the batteries being up front is less resistance, easier service connection, and with a 125 the boat comes up on plane right now. I give up some mph but 39mph (GPS) fully loaded is plenty fast. I think if I ever go up on Lake Michigan I may take 2 of them out just so I can run faster......or, maybe not.

Al is the "King of Current", the "Emperor of Electrolite", the "Viceroy of Voltage", the "Pontiff of Polarity". He knows this stuff.
Thanks, Al!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Reply New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)