Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> FFS Poll - What Is Your Stance?

FFS Poll - What Is Your Stance?
OptionResults
FFS Is A Tool Like 2D sonar/SI/Downscan - Should be unrestricted access/Use8 Votes - [12.5%]
FFS is Fine: sharp shooting is bad as are other unethical uses.32 Votes - [50%]
FFS Should be banned24 Votes - [37.5%]

Message Subject: FFS Poll - What Is Your Stance?
Slamr
Posted 7/1/2024 11:34 AM (#1029430)
Subject: FFS Poll - What Is Your Stance?

Curious where everyone actually stands on this issue.
Brian Hoffies
Posted 7/1/2024 2:55 PM (#1029436 - in reply to #1029430)
Subject: Re: FFS Poll - What Is Your Stance?

I voted for it to be banned but I don't know in what context you were talking about. I oppose it for tournaments which I feel should have a level playing field. For every day use, if you have the coin go for it, just don't decimate the fishery. I guess I'm opposed to guides using it also.
mikie
Posted 7/3/2024 11:39 AM (#1029491 - in reply to #1029430)

Get your bans off my bass boat! If the tech works and is available, folks should be able to use it. If the question is about who should and should not use it (guides, tourney participants, etc), that's up to the sponsors. But if the question is can I buy and use a new product, yeah. m
raftman
Posted 7/3/2024 7:42 PM (#1029502 - in reply to #1029491)

mikie - 7/3/2024 11:39 AM

Get your bans off my bass boat! If the tech works and is available, folks should be able to use it. If the question is about who should and should not use it (guides, tourney participants, etc), that's up to the sponsors. But if the question is can I buy and use a new product, yeah. m

But some people might misuse it and I don’t want my fishing experience impacted so you shouldn’t be able to use it. It’s not fishing anyhow. Ban it.
OH Musky
Posted 7/3/2024 9:11 PM (#1029505 - in reply to #1029430)

I wondered how long it would take something like this to come up. “If I don’t like it, ban it.” And if the reason for banning something is to “equal” the playing field or minimize the number of fish caught then ban all electronics including trolling motors, ban kickers and any boat over 16’. Limit the HP on boats all because not everyone can afford it or it increases catch numbers. Ban guiding and live bait because the two are too effective at catching fish.

Hell, let’s go to the extreme and close all state’s seasons from Dec to Sept to protect the fish. In Dec, females are full of eggs and should be left alone until after they finish spawning in May. Some say the 80* temp limit is too high and we should stop at 70*. So all fishing is banned from June thru Sept due to water temps MAY be too high. Leaves you only Oct and Nov. The numbers fishing will drop off as will club’s and organization’s participation and funding. They will dry up and fold. DNR efforts will drop and stocking will stop. But you’re protecting the fish so it’s all good, right? Ban FFS and where does it stop?

I think the effectiveness of FFS is over stated and blown out of proportion. But technological advances will not stop and better units are just around the corner. Let the DNRs study it and make recommendations. In the meantime, go fishing and live longer.
chuckski
Posted 7/4/2024 9:54 AM (#1029518 - in reply to #1029430)

I've fished a lot of places out of a lot of different boats over the years. I started out on a old wooden row boat with no motor or fish finder as we called them at the time back in the 70's. I had both 12' and 14' row boats (aluminum with) small engines and bigger 16' boats with big engines and all the bells and whisles, and all the different boats I rented. Over 30 years ago on my only trip to Lake Of The Woods in a rental boat we missed the cutoff back to camp and we found a buoy got the number off it and plugged it into our map and figured out where we were. In Canada fish buoy's and channel makers. (a good way to find spots) My dad did well beating the shore lines this time of year in both Wisconsin and Canada, I like to fish open water.
This could be fish down the middle of a smaller Lake in 15' of water or fishing 15' down in water 80-100', or finding deep reefs and fishing on them or fishing around them. What I have found that driving around with fish finder on or seeing bait on the surface with my eyes I mark those spots on my map. Over the years the bait is for the most part in the same places so I drive around and fish those spots. I don't have a boat but if I did and had FFS I could beat up on the fish in open water.
I rather look for fish casting them looking at TV.
mikie
Posted 7/4/2024 10:00 AM (#1029519 - in reply to #1029430)

"But some people might misuse it and I don’t want my fishing experience impacted so you shouldn’t be able to use it. It’s not fishing anyhow. Ban it."
The same could be said for assault weapons in the hands of the public, and the harm of those being in the 'wrong hands' means we lose more than a few fish. They are not for hunting, anyhow. m
7.62xJay
Posted 7/4/2024 1:45 PM (#1029524 - in reply to #1029519)

mikie - 7/4/2024 10:00 AM

"But some people might misuse it and I don’t want my fishing experience impacted so you shouldn’t be able to use it. It’s not fishing anyhow. Ban it."
The same could be said for assault weapons in the hands of the public, and the harm of those being in the 'wrong hands' means we lose more than a few fish. They are not for hunting, anyhow. m

We're faaaar too good at repopulating and our species is spread around the globe is your difference there pal. The largemouth industry is accepting FFS with open arms. Hm, I wonder why?
curdmudgeon
Posted 7/4/2024 2:04 PM (#1029525 - in reply to #1029524)

im in minority, just another tool in the endless continuum of betters boats (worth pages alone), gas engine improvement (more pages of history, improvements, safety, efficiency, yada yada, trolling motors (same), gps, SI, superline, fluoro, AGM batteries then Li, better clothes than old cotton/wool, sunblock, cell phones, youtube, better baits (DBL10, Bulldawgs) MuskieFirst forum to learn from experts. I'm sure I left off tons of tech advances that allow us to fish longer, warmer/cooler, get there quicker, be on water longer, teach us exact technique, etc. etc.

Old guys like me, get over this one thing. Life is yin/yang. with FFS in the boat, I spend so much screen time I don't notice Striper boils 1/4mi away - an angler cannot do everything simultaneously. Time staring at FFS is time not doing something else we old cats do to catch fish. Yes the whuppersnappers will snipe big fish, but nobody can take your unique approach to fishing from you, and you know you catch big ones too!

only used mine half-dozen times but did catch a 25" reservoir Striper on a spoon and saw it in "real-time" on-screen. Wild sensation to see the fish move on the bait, get the hit, and see it fight real-time. Did I snipe it? I did move the bait higher in the water column to get it to the fish (luddites *gasp* the horror, he used tech to catch a fish!!, smfh!?, wtf!?, gtfo my lake!!). My side-imaging saw those fish first, that is why I stopped. I went to the spot b/c its a no-brainer, highway bridge in river/reservoir during high noon (lots of shade/shadows). So prob would have caught it anyways, I knew fish would be there and SI confirmed; FFS sealed the deal (OMG! WTF did he say! who is he to catch a F-kn FISH!?!?, ban this stuff NOW).

More important is post-catch handling. Some dudes woulda killed that fish in high-summer but mine swam away due to quick, expert handling.

So as to FFS bans, I say,
*Come and get it*

Edited by curdmudgeon 7/4/2024 2:05 PM
raftman
Posted 7/4/2024 3:28 PM (#1029528 - in reply to #1029519)

mikie - 7/4/2024 10:00 AM

Could probably extrapolate to all kinds of broccoli to snickers scenarios if you wanted to.

For all the discussion about FFS on this forum, I would say there is a case for some intervention in targeting fish over deep water(w/ or w/o FFS). Targeting Muskies over deep water does create an increased risk of mortality. We should probably be thankful for FFS creating this awareness.
OH Musky
Posted 7/4/2024 4:45 PM (#1029530 - in reply to #1029528)

raftman - 7/4/2024 4:28 PM

For all the discussion about FFS on this forum, I would say there is a case for some intervention in targeting fish over deep water(w/ or w/o FFS). Targeting Muskies over deep water does create an increased risk of mortality. We should probably be thankful for FFS creating this awareness.

I’m curious how “intervention” would work? The fact that someone has FFS on their boat doesn’t mean they are sniping or targeting deep water fish.
raftman
Posted 7/5/2024 9:01 AM (#1029555 - in reply to #1029530)

OH Musky - 7/4/2024 4:45 PM

I’m curious how “intervention” would work? The fact that someone has FFS on their boat doesn’t mean they are sniping or targeting deep water fish.

Simple. No throwing or trolling musky plugs over 20 feet of water regardless of FFS being on the boat. The too many floaters crowd will be at peace knowing these fish can’t be targeted and the FFS crowd can still use the technology. Some will probably be bothered that there are still people staring at a screen and missing that eagle flying around but that’s on them.
Kirby Budrow
Posted 7/5/2024 9:19 AM (#1029558 - in reply to #1029555)

raftman - 7/5/2024 9:01 AM

Simple. No throwing or trolling musky plugs over 20 feet of water regardless of FFS being on the boat. The too many floaters crowd will be at peace knowing these fish can’t be targeted and the FFS crowd can still use the technology. Some will probably be bothered that there are still people staring at a screen and missing that eagle flying around but that’s on them.

That would be tough. Most places I fish have spots you could be in 40 feet and casting up to shore.
mikie
Posted 7/5/2024 11:18 AM (#1029566 - in reply to #1029430)

My previous point being: if, as a society we can't ban assault weapons to save fellow men, women, and school children, how are you gonna promote a ban on a sonar rig to save a few stocked fish? m
North of 8
Posted 7/5/2024 11:38 AM (#1029567 - in reply to #1029566)

From a practical standpoint, in WI, enforcement of any ban would be extremely difficult. The DNR here faces a $15 million deficit for the upcoming fiscal year. Fees and licenses have for the most part have not increased since 2005. Of course, costs have not stayed the same but the legislature refuses to authorize increases. When I contacted my assembly rep, saying it was ludicrous that my senior license cost only $7, same as it did a decade or more ago, he replied that I should be glad. He did not respond when I said I live in the real world, where things cost more and we need to recognize that. He also did not respond when I said that perhaps he would be willing to take the salary he would have gotten in 2005, the mileage reimbursements from then and the staff salaries from 2005. I am sure he plans on getting back to me soon.
IAJustin
Posted 7/5/2024 11:46 AM (#1029568 - in reply to #1029430)

One thing for sure..when there are serious talks of banning AR-15's.. sales go through the roof, I know I probably would have never bought an AR until the media started beating the drum with Obama in office.. I'll guarantee this banter on just this site alone has caused a few on the fence about FFS to run out an buy it...
CincySkeez
Posted 7/5/2024 12:16 PM (#1029571 - in reply to #1029567)

North of 8 - 7/5/2024 11:38 AM

From a practical standpoint, in WI, enforcement of any ban would be extremely difficult. The DNR here faces a $15 million deficit for the upcoming fiscal year. Fees and licenses have for the most part have not increased since 2005. Of course, costs have not stayed the same but the legislature refuses to authorize increases. When I contacted my assembly rep, saying it was ludicrous that my senior license cost only $7, same as it did a decade or more ago, he replied that I should be glad. He did not respond when I said I live in the real world, where things cost more and we need to recognize that. He also did not respond when I said that perhaps he would be willing to take the salary he would have gotten in 2005, the mileage reimbursements from then and the staff salaries from 2005. I am sure he plans on getting back to me soon.

Solving this problem would require some people to change.....ah forget it.

It's a shame that moronic fiscal policy is baked in. Situation isn't much better in MN either.
OH Musky
Posted 7/5/2024 12:56 PM (#1029573 - in reply to #1029555)

raftman - 7/5/2024 10:01 AM

And who would enforce that? Don’t see it as something that will catch on or be enforceable. Hell, our local lake is 130’ at the dam with an average depth of 45’. Fish any main lake points, and you’re sitting over 65’ of water casting to the bank from 50-60’ away. Troll any open water and you’re in water well over 20’ deep. Jigging the outside edge of the timber and you’re in 45-65’. Yeah, not going to happen, at least in our reservoirs.
EsoxWanderer
Posted 7/5/2024 6:19 PM (#1029585 - in reply to #1029430)

I’m not sure harassing individual open water fish using naval style radar is ethical or something that should be permitted by conservation authorities. It’s impossible to enforce but maybe it makes people think twice about sharp shooting or it makes their activities feel more sketchy to them. Some good points were made on this forum comparing it to unethical methods of deer hunting. It’s clearly not fair chase and fish that see baits all the time get conditioned and lose interest. I have concerns about this in areas I fish where the fish are low density but spend a lot of time suspended in contained basins. Heck even in numbers waters where they spend a lot of time suspended off the weedline and already receive pressure (but at least have some respite, or used to). It’s the fish and the resource that comes first and I personally would like to see FFS banned for musky fishing, even though that’s not going to happen. They’re not schooling fish like walleye or crappie or whatever that exist in high numbers and have a ton of reproductive success. I’m a younger angler for what it’s worth, I’m sure I’ll regret getting involved in this debate.
Brian Hoffies
Posted 7/5/2024 7:17 PM (#1029588 - in reply to #1029585)

Many of the people who constantly bang the drum on fish handling, proper tools and speed of the release don't seem to have a problem jerking them out of deep water. Would kind of make an outsider wonder don't you think?

Oh and the comment that the Bass guys don't have a problem with FFS proves that people only care about themselves on this subject. FFS has been the hottest subject in Bass fishing for the past 6 months.
happy hooker
Posted 7/5/2024 7:51 PM (#1029591 - in reply to #1029588)

Well I don't have an AR 15,,but I do have an AK 47,,a real kalashnikov!!! How I would love to empty a 30 round clip into a FFS unit.
For people who have them stop targeting fish below 20 feet because that's what's happening.
Kirby Budrow
Posted 7/6/2024 7:45 AM (#1029597 - in reply to #1029430)

I actually don’t think it matters what depth you pull them from because even if you mark a fish 10 feet down, it likely just came from 35 feet down. They don’t just sit in 10 feet for extended periods. They move up and down constantly.
Brian Hoffies
Posted 7/6/2024 8:47 AM (#1029600 - in reply to #1029430)

It seems by the poll that 87% of the voters have at least some doubts about it's use.
Posted 7/6/2024 10:02 AM (#1029602 - in reply to #1029600)

Never sharp shot,and have been using it before most.i dont think having 4,,5, units linked together chasing fish is right.On a positive note this season ive seen 15 fish at.least following on screen i never seen casting shallow.maybe limit it to one livescope sonar per boat.

Edited by 0723 7/6/2024 10:06 AM
7.62xJay
Posted 7/6/2024 10:59 AM (#1029603 - in reply to #1029588)

Brian Hoffies - 7/5/2024 7:17 PM
Oh and the comment that the Bass guys don't have a problem with FFS proves that people only care about themselves on this subject. FFS has been the hottest subject in Bass fishing for the past 6 months.

U read entirely incorrectly. Keyword-INDUSTRY. Not COMMUNITY. Those making a dollar off it. From the Sonar companies, to the bait manufacturers, to various forms of Media. It's the hot new ticket for everyone to buy into, and understandabley so when you're talking about thee most popular,competitive, and pressured inshore species. Money money money.

Let's see what one of the biggest online retailers has to say for Icast 2024.

https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/catpage-ICAST.html

Edited by 7.62xJay 7/6/2024 11:01 AM
Ranger
Posted 7/6/2024 6:37 PM (#1029607 - in reply to #1029430)

Keep your rules off my lawn! Um, wait, boat!

Who was it, Keith Kavajecz, who won a walleye tourney in Little Bay De Noc by moving fast, passing over fish then throwing back a Shiver Monnow (like a jigging rap). Everyone else had fish finders, but he used his in a different way, running and gunning to target specific fish. He won.

An old timer would claim having a fish finder is breaking the rules. His grandpa would say having a motor is breaking the rules.

Me, I want a remote-control mini sub equipped with a camera. And harpoons instead of torpedoes. Drop it over the side of the boat and sit back sipping cold beer, driving my sub and watching my screen. Because I'm all about catch and release my harpoons will be thin and loaded with electricity to shock the fish and while stunned the sub will drag it back to the boat. Couple quick pics and then back in the drink so I can shoot it again later.

I got this idea from thinking about Slamr.

Ranger
Posted 7/7/2024 12:18 AM (#1029613 - in reply to #1029430)

Just ****in with you, Andrew.

And I stole the idea from a sci-fi book called "Cemetary World".

Edited by Ranger 7/7/2024 12:21 AM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)