Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Muskie Boats and Motors -> Sonar Unit Flickering.

Reply New post
Message Subject: Sonar Unit Flickering.
ShutUpNFish
Posted 4/7/2015 1:14 PM (#763793)
Subject: Sonar Unit Flickering.

Ok heres my set-up....

I have a Lowrance HDS10 and Lowrance HDS7...I use the 7 strictly for mapping, but it is run into the LSS1 via ethernet...HDS10 is used for sonar and side imaging and also connected to the LSS1 via ethernet. Both units run to one main fuse panel with Power down which all runs back to a Main battery (1000 CCA). I had the battery load tested yesterday because I thought it may be the problem, but it tested fine. Both motors on my boat run to that one main battery...

Heres whats happening....When I troll with my 20hp Honda or run the 150 Honda, the units are fine....If I turn the engines off and start casting or drift fishing, after about 5 minutes, the HDS-10 begins to flicker like crazy and the internal Lowrance voltage meter is saying 9.5; However, when I put my portable voltage meter on the battery direct, its reading over 12.5 output.

Could it be interference through the LSS1 box? Everything is tight at the battery....Any ideas??

Thanks!

Paul

Edited by ShutUpNFish 4/7/2015 1:16 PM
kjgmh
Posted 4/7/2015 1:59 PM (#763806 - in reply to #763793)
Subject: Re: Sonar Unit Flickering.

Gotta figure out where the voltage drop is. Check voltage at the fuse panel, see if it is the same. Read it at the plug for the depthfinder. You will find the drop somewhere, or the HDS 10 has issues. LSS1 box shouldn't have anything to do with power to your unit.
jchiggins
Posted 4/7/2015 2:22 PM (#763812 - in reply to #763793)

Corroded fuse holder?
ShutUpNFish
Posted 4/7/2015 5:23 PM (#763853 - in reply to #763793)

Checked the fuse panel and its reading 10.5 - 11...turn radio on and it goes down...?
jchiggins
Posted 4/7/2015 7:56 PM (#763880 - in reply to #763793)

Where are you reading it on the fuse panel.
ShutUpNFish
Posted 4/8/2015 7:36 AM (#763944 - in reply to #763793)

Right at the panel where all of the wiring goes to under the dash.

I cannot believe they put this little crappy panel to hold all of this wiring in there! The thing has 6 hot connections and 4 grounds!! And about 50 wires going into it!! Geeze!! Theres no fuses just a small plastic panel...the fuses are at switches and inline. I just bought a new panel this winter...its a Blue Sea 12 circuit system.....

I'm wondering if a mouse may have chewed into the main ground or something over winter??

Edited by ShutUpNFish 4/8/2015 7:37 AM
Jerry Newman
Posted 4/8/2015 8:05 AM (#763955 - in reply to #763944)

Yeah right, it's almost like "let's see how cheap can we get with the wiring under there".

I recommend pulling new wires directly from the battery to a dedicated fuse panel with an on-off switch for the boats electronics. It only takes a few hours, is fairly inexpensive, and will help to eliminate the frustration of in-line fuses, and dead batteries.
ShutUpNFish
Posted 4/8/2015 8:35 AM (#763963 - in reply to #763793)

Was going to jump from that little panel (which is connected to main power switch) and relieve some of the electrical wiring to the new panel. That is, after I check all the wiring from the battery and feeds to be sure everything is good and nothing loose or chewed.

Another Q is this....

I have one 1000 CCA battery which is connected to both motors (charging) and all of my electronics....radio, vhf, 2 sonars and all of my boat switches on dash for lights and livewells...do I need another battery?
ShutUpNFish
Posted 4/8/2015 7:17 PM (#764092 - in reply to #763793)

I figured it out...bad connection corroded feed on my main power switch on the dash....
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Reply New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)