Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Frable Cradel style net for solo?

Message Subject: Frable Cradel style net for solo?
Juhas
Posted 8/19/2014 6:37 AM (#726178)
Subject: Frable Cradel style net for solo?

Any one have any experience using this style net fishing solo? If so is it easier to net fish solo? Thought maybe it wood since the hoop is bent?
Chris
sworrall
Posted 8/19/2014 9:31 AM (#726203 - in reply to #726178)
Subject: RE: Frable Cradel style net for solo?

Get a ROBOHANDLE. Makes solo netting easy. Simple, inexpensive way to get your net in play when fishing alone.
BrianF.
Posted 8/19/2014 11:29 AM (#726228 - in reply to #726178)
Subject: Re: Frable Cradel style net for solo?

Steve or others, any tips for netting fish solo, with or without the Robohandle, when using a 9+ foot rods? The length of the rod and lack of power/leverage with only one hand on such a large, unwieldy net sure is awkward. For me, netting the fish is by far the most risky point of catching a musky while alone. I have visions of a 53" getting caught in the front of the bag and ripping itself free of the hooks while I watched in horror as this scene unfold apparently in slow motion. I had the cradle style net at one point and sold it due to the greater ease of fish backing out of the hoop. Netting really is a two man operation!

Brian
Zib
Posted 8/19/2014 11:42 AM (#726231 - in reply to #726178)

I used one once while fishing on someone else's boat on LSC. I netted his 44" pike & the fish started swimming out of it. I wouldn't want to try netting a fish solo with it.

bucknuts
Posted 8/19/2014 1:09 PM (#726250 - in reply to #726178)

Get the biggest, lightest net, you can.
I used to use the Big Kahuna, but not able to, anymore.
I have the Robo Handle now, and it helps.
I use 9 ft. + rods. It is a challenge to net those big girls.
Once you get half their body in the net, drop your rod and use both hands to scoop and shake them in the rest of the way.
Don't bother with a cradle.
ToddM
Posted 8/19/2014 4:45 PM (#726270 - in reply to #726178)

Yep used one of these on.lsc recently. I was openly cursing this net. You cut hooks every time, your not getting one out of the bottom and the fish can pin themselves pretty good being long and narrow. Then there is that scoop and the fish try and get out of it. Because of that bottom mesh, fish get free and your not getting the lure out before the fish. The owner accidentally kicked it overboard and I hand landed the rest of that day. Thank god. I was never so glad. Get a frabill big game. Excellent net.
Yooper Padre
Posted 8/22/2014 7:34 AM (#726606 - in reply to #726178)

I had the big Frabill and found it too hard to handle when alone. If you always fish with someone else, handling is no problem. Finding a place in the boat for that behemoth? Now that's a whole new question.

Fr. K
bwalsh
Posted 8/22/2014 3:14 PM (#726673 - in reply to #726178)

You might want to look into the Frabill Conservation Series nets. I was surprised how much lighter they are then the other big Frabill nets. They are available in very large diameters as well.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)