Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Quantum Exo PT 7.3

Message Subject: Quantum Exo PT 7.3
rbiwer
Posted 8/4/2014 7:34 AM (#724016)
Subject: Quantum Exo PT 7.3

Has anyone used one? Are they built for muskie?
Booch
Posted 8/4/2014 11:53 AM (#724061 - in reply to #724016)
Subject: Re: Quantum Exo PT 7.3

Not sure if this helps, but I used an EXO PT 200 6.6:1 a few weeks ago on my trip. I bought it for smaller blades (Mepps Musky Killers, Showgirls, 8s, etc.), and to double as a bigger lure bass rod back home. For that purpose, I thought it worked great. Setup with a 7.6" Abu Vendetta rod and 35lb Power Pro Slick, I could make pin-point casts a mile away. Fought a smaller musky with it, until my leader failed at boatside and he swam off with my Showgirl.

I don't think I'd go much bigger than double 8s on mine, but have heard the 300 series has a better gear and a bit more power. PikeMaster answered a few questions for me, when I was considering this reel. Very helpful guy.

But... if you do decide to get one, make sure it's got the 2-step release on the side door. Apparently, the first gen had only the 1 lever, and people were accidentally hitting it and losing half the reel in the water. The newer one has a button to press (click), before the lever can be release. I have this one, but if you buy new and it doesn't have it, I think Quantum will send you one.

Not sure it's worth $249, but I got mine on eBay for about $150.

PIKEMASTER
Posted 8/4/2014 4:23 PM (#724123 - in reply to #724061)

Booch - 8/4/2014 11:53 AM

Not sure if this helps, but I used an EXO PT 200 6.6:1 a few weeks ago on my trip. I bought it for smaller blades (Mepps Musky Killers, Showgirls, 8s, etc.), and to double as a bigger lure bass rod back home. For that purpose, I thought it worked great. Setup with a 7.6" Abu Vendetta rod and 35lb Power Pro Slick, I could make pin-point casts a mile away. Fought a smaller musky with it, until my leader failed at boatside and he swam off with my Showgirl.

I don't think I'd go much bigger than double 8s on mine, but have heard the 300 series has a better gear and a bit more power. PikeMaster answered a few questions for me, when I was considering this reel. Very helpful guy.

But... if you do decide to get one, make sure it's got the 2-step release on the side door. Apparently, the first gen had only the 1 lever, and people were accidentally hitting it and losing half the reel in the water. The newer one has a button to press (click), before the lever can be release. I have this one, but if you buy new and it doesn't have it, I think Quantum will send you one.

Not sure it's worth $249, but I got mine on eBay for about $150.

The 200 works for 50lb test and the 300 for 65lb or 80lb test braid, also the 300 has 2 handles, one std and a power handle.
I would never use a 7 gears for Muskie. Use the 6 gears for topwater or ripping and the 5 gears for Blades.
Jmeyers
Posted 8/6/2014 10:17 AM (#724448 - in reply to #724016)

This is my first season using the EXO, I love the reel. It's really smooth and I throw 80lb on it without any problems. The only issue I have run into is the spool being to small. I may just have to big of a Mono backing on my spool but if I get a good enough cast I almost run out of line - Hasn't caused any major issues yet but could be a bad thing if I hook into a monster.
lennyg3
Posted 8/6/2014 11:32 AM (#724468 - in reply to #724448)

Jmeyers - 8/6/2014 11:17 AM

This is my first season using the EXO, I love the reel. It's really smooth and I throw 80lb on it without any problems. The only issue I have run into is the spool being to small. I may just have to big of a Mono backing on my spool but if I get a good enough cast I almost run out of line - Hasn't caused any major issues yet but could be a bad thing if I hook into a monster.

I had this issue, but switched to 50lb with a bit less backing and has not been a problem since. Besides, I see no need for the 80lb on the EXO as I only use it for thowing small baits.
rbiwer
Posted 8/6/2014 1:21 PM (#724495 - in reply to #724016)

Thanks guys!
rbiwer
Posted 8/6/2014 1:27 PM (#724497 - in reply to #724016)

Thanks guys!
Cedar
Posted 8/6/2014 6:51 PM (#724541 - in reply to #724016)
Subject: RE: Quantum Exo PT 7.3

Bought a 7.3:1 when they first came out to try on jerks & gliders. Nice reel, but that gear ratio had too much line pick up for the way I fish. Sold the 7.3, and bought a 5.3 for a different purpose, and really like it. I wouldn't recommend the 7 gear for Musky fishing because of the previously mentioned reason, but would recommend the 5.3 & 6.6 for Muskies. They are nice all around reels.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)