Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> What kind of boards for big water

Message Subject: What kind of boards for big water
Trophyseeker50
Posted 10/5/2013 12:15 PM (#666940)
Subject: What kind of boards for big water

I troll on the Great Lakes and have had some issues running boards. I run offshore boards with red clips. My issue is that several times when a Muskie strikes it takes the board under water. Almost every time this happens we lose the fish. The board is fighting the fish not us. I believe the fish gets slack and is gone. Is there a better board that releases when a fish strikes but holds well enough to stay on in 4' waves. 

Edited by Trophyseeker50 10/5/2013 12:17 PM
woodieb8
Posted 10/6/2013 5:39 AM (#667027 - in reply to #666940)
Subject: Re: What kind of boards for big water

go to the mast system
Trophyseeker50
Posted 10/6/2013 2:44 PM (#667076 - in reply to #666940)

I have thought about switching to a mast system but don't know much about them. Any help would be great. I know lots of people troll GB and LSC. What works for you guys?
Zib
Posted 10/6/2013 3:56 PM (#667087 - in reply to #666940)
Subject: RE: What kind of boards for big water

The best planner boards are the ones you make yourself out of wood. Just do a online search for "Planner Board Designs".

You can get away without using a mast if you tie the boards off your bow cleats. A mast system makes things easier & neater.

Jerry Newman
Posted 10/6/2013 4:46 PM (#667093 - in reply to #666940)
Subject: RE: What kind of boards for big water

We have caught a lot of fish with those in line offshore boards using the RO-18 & red clips, they don't break free and have to be removed before netting the fish. I've noticed no difference when they are taken under water verse noty, other than it’s normally a mid-40s fish or better.  Heck, I like it when the board goes down

Also, I don’t troll in line boards into 4’ waves, there will be problems with them diving under waves, they typically start hopping in 3'ers.

I have and use both in-line and mast, but prefer the in-line boards when fishing around weeds. There are +s and -s to each.

woodieb8
Posted 10/7/2013 5:12 AM (#667153 - in reply to #666940)

big boards can hold multiple big baits and run 100ft each side outward.. look at mast system mounts. many use front seat inserts.smaller boards work good for walleyes .but in big water and multiple lines big boards rock.
as for boards themselves make your own for 40 bucks you can have a good pair. cedar wood works best
Jerry Newman
Posted 10/7/2013 9:45 AM (#667188 - in reply to #667153)

woodieb8 - 10/7/2013 5:12 AM big boards can hold multiple big baits and run 100ft each side outward.. look at mast system mounts. many use front seat inserts.smaller boards work good for walleyes .but in big water and multiple lines big boards rock. as for boards themselves make your own for 40 bucks you can have a good pair. cedar wood works best

Hi George, agree that the mast system rocks for open water trolling without weeds. I like the wider spread and cleaner fight without a board.

But floating weeds is my main problem while using my mast.  I've made longer line releases with weed guards for the inside line baits, and that works okay, but then still had an issue of how to check for a fouled bait on the far outside. 

The reason I lean toward in-line boards around weeds is that we are typically trolling 6 baits and try to keep at least 5 baits working in the water, which is no problem with inline boards unless there's a ton of floaters.  

Additionally, if we plan on casting and trolling it’s obviously a lot easier to switch back and forth with in-line boards because you don't have to break the mast down, stowing a mast and using one with a convertible top up in the late fall has been some of my other considerations.  

That's some pros and cons with both that I've noticed.  I was wondering if you guys have devised any clever way to check those outside baits without bringing everything in on that side. Also, the max waves you troll into with the different style mast systems (I use the cedar boards and reels on the bow now).

woodieb8
Posted 10/7/2013 12:57 PM (#667239 - in reply to #666940)

all good points jerry. we all have different ways. yours works well. espially if your swithching back and forth.. never thought of that. every system has plus/minus.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)