Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "got her on the figure 4"
- (Added by: Big Perc)

Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

More Muskie Fishing -> Basement Baits and Custom Lure Painting -> New PB on one of mine

Message Subject: New PB on one of mine
gunnr
Posted 9/4/2012 8:33 PM (#582600)
Subject: New PB on one of mine

Got a new PB on one of my baits and missed a couple others. Also had some follows and some walleye, bass, and pike on it. Happy with the bait but have a question for you guys. The first fish I missed put couple holes thru the topcoats into the wood and the second (the one pictured) added more and left a couple teeth. Anyway, shortly after that, the top and possibly second layers of topcoat started peeling off in sheets. The paint wasn't affected but it was a PIA pulling the flaking topcoat off. The baits first two coats were D2T and then 3 coats of diamond II epoxy. Just wondering if water caused this or the two epoxies didn't bond well. It didn't happen until the punture marks and my cousin was throwing a big fork twitch darter and had the same thing happen to that. Don't know what big fork uses but assume it is etex. Any ideas or has anyone had this happen?

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(49rsz.jpg)

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(blshdrsz.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 49rsz.jpg (52KB - 147 downloads)
Attachments blshdrsz.jpg (38KB - 141 downloads)
newmuskyz
Posted 9/4/2012 10:01 PM (#582619 - in reply to #582600)
Subject: RE: New PB on one of mine

That is a really nice fish on a nice lure to boot! I have never used that brand of Epoxy but if enough damage is done some will come off, if the paint is ok clear it again and keep rolling. Some epoxies are more brittle than others, but most of them get more brittle as they age, much like the natural yellowing. Not sure if your baits are wood, but some woods will expand and contract with temperature change, also causing some separation from the paint layers. Just some ideas, hope they can help, and again nice catch!
Beaver
Posted 9/5/2012 12:09 AM (#582651 - in reply to #582619)

Lures are made to get the hell beat out of them. When we make lures, we hope that they get destroyed. I keep Devcon 2-ton epoxy with me wherever I go. When teeth marks show up. use clear nail polish. 2 coats minimum. After the next fish and peeling is noticed, take the lure out of the line-up and re-clear the trouble spots or water will get in and do lots of damage.
Always paint at least 2 of each color just for days like you had.
Way to go.
Be a MASH unit for your lures in your boat and do surgery in the evening.
Beav
ShutUpNFish
Posted 9/5/2012 7:14 AM (#582666 - in reply to #582600)
Subject: Re: New PB on one of mine

"Lures are made to get the hell beat out of them." This says it all.

When a fish breaks the seal of ANY topcoat, water gets in and possible seperation begins....It is the nature of what fish with teeth can do to any bait. If people can just keep the reality in mind that lures are not made to last forever. Most lure builders make solid efforts to build a quality bait with quality components and most certainly to handle way MORE than any muskie can dish out....MOST.

Concerning your above epoxy question tho....I think its best to apply multiple coats of epoxy when the previous coat is still somewhat tacky to ensure a good and complete bond....AND even then, they may peel when they get marred, cut or puntured with holes...IT IS WHAT IT IS. Good Luck

Oh yeah, by the way, NICE fish and congrats!!

Edited by ShutUpNFish 9/5/2012 7:16 AM
gunnr
Posted 9/5/2012 8:23 AM (#582684 - in reply to #582600)

Thanks guys! I've had other lures with punctures into the wood, just never had the clearcoat peel like that. I did give the lure a touch-up with clear nail polish but that peeled along with more topcoat. I had wondered about putting a second coat over one that is tacky as I usually wait til the first is dry to the touch. I plan on re-clearing the bait. Is there any amount of time I should wait to make sure all the moisture is gone? It was two weeks ago and the lure/paint look OK...other than the teeth that were left fell out.
bowhunter29
Posted 9/5/2012 8:54 AM (#582689 - in reply to #582600)

What kind of wood are you using? Is it sealed well prior to painting? I used cedar and seal it before painting. After painting, my lures get a minimum of 3 coats of Diamond II. I have a ton of lures that have puncture marks from teeth or chips out of them from hitting rocks- none are losing paint or the topcoat.

jeremy
gunnr
Posted 9/5/2012 9:11 AM (#582693 - in reply to #582689)

Hey Jeremy. My lures are cedar and I do seal the wood first. I started using the diamond II after the tip from you. The only thing I didn't like about it was the time it took to cure, so I usually use D2T between paint layers and then do 2 to 3 coats of the diamond II as a final finish. This is the only one that has done that and it's funny because my cousin was throwing a big fork lure which did the same thing and I doubt they use the diamond II. I'm kinda wondering now if I didn't let the D2T cure too long before doing the diamond II. BTW, have you been doing any lures lately? Haven't seen you on here or the other sites in awhile.
handlebarz
Posted 9/9/2012 5:30 AM (#583408 - in reply to #582600)

I never re seal a bait or fix holes I believe that if the bait is working dont mess with it. I dont care if all the paint is off it I still use it until it looks like it will fall apart then it gets retired. I would never stop using a bait during the fishing day because it had a hole and I'm afraid of water getting in if that bait is rocking the fish keep it out there some baits just have the right mojo and it would be a shame to put it away and then miss fish as they dont want what ever other bait you decide to use.

Like a couple others said we all know and expect that our baits will get chewed up its what I live for after a fish I look to see if they left any war marks.

Dont over think it just get out and fish as most will until now I have not heard of a fisherman carrying epoxy or nail polish to fix a bait when fishing.

Good luck and lets see that thing torn up at the end of the season congrats on the PB on it.

Cheers Mike
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)