Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> northem pike with musky lure / sonar

Message Subject: northem pike with musky lure / sonar
french pike
Posted 12/5/2010 4:31 AM (#469035)
Subject: northem pike with musky lure / sonar

hello
Have you got big northem pike in your lake?
what lure use for this fish?
I like big soft swimbait and i try big bucktail (cow girl 13''), but i have got any follow!!
Do you like big tube?

Up depth fishing musky? Use you often sonar for search fish?
Hugely in france for northem.
You prefer lowrance or humminbird?

Thanks
Cast
Posted 12/5/2010 7:31 AM (#469038 - in reply to #469035)
Subject: RE: northem pike with musky lure / sonar

Bonjour! I don't have extensive experiebnce with northern pike, but love them. (Many muskie anglers don't.)
Lures: It depends on the season; and the depth of the fish. If it is spring and the fish may be shallow, I like to start with spoons and spinners. For numbers, 1 ounce Dardevls or Len Thompsons. Do you use these? I have also put together a collection of larger, big fish, spoons, all of which are more than 4 inches: Lindy Gator spoons, Len Thompson 1 & 1/8 ounces, Cabela Diamond Spoons 1.25 ounces, and Lucky Strike Half-Wave (cool looking thing).
Spinners: Mepps Muskie Killer; and Mepps Giant Killer. We aren't looking for little guys here.
Crankbaits: In spring, Bomber Long A, 6 inch, has produced under pressure. Believer, 6 inch; Bucher Depthraider, 6 inch; Jake or Grandma, 6 inch. But I've caught pike on larger Believers and Grandmas. Very common.
I've never gotten into the plastics for these fish.
Only keep the big ones.
Jason Bomber
Posted 12/5/2010 9:13 AM (#469041 - in reply to #469035)
Subject: Re: northem pike with musky lure / sonar

Most of the bigger pike I catch are on "big joes" (live action lures)... its a 10" twin tailed rubber bait. They really seem to love those things. I remember 1 afternoon a friend and I caught 13 pike and 5 muskies on Joes, and kickin minnows..
Make sure you figure 8 or at least do 1 good L turn next to the boat, I've had a # of fish show up from under the boat to grab these things at the last second.. White/orange has probably been best for me with pike.

As for the bucktails.... I've caught way more pike on the Jr cowgirl than the regular, or the really big one. A little easier to reel in as well..good luck.
wers4455
Posted 12/5/2010 9:59 AM (#469043 - in reply to #469041)

For pike I have had days were it's hard not to catch pike on phantom softtails. About a dozen pike in an hour and a half or so, some small some in the higher 30's. Double cowgirl's have landed the bigger fish though....
fish4musky1
Posted 12/5/2010 11:00 AM (#469048 - in reply to #469043)

Regular sized bulldawg, black w chart tail- best big northern bait for me!

Spoons are also good
Pittsboy
Posted 12/6/2010 12:38 PM (#469216 - in reply to #469035)

I fished a lot of pikes in France and I fish now for musky. I don't think there is a difference between pike and musky lures.
May be pike prefer more flash colors and are easier to make bite after a follow than musky.
For the winter: jerk bait, soft lures are the best. The only thing you have to remember is to fish slowly, very slowly with lot of stop.
ps: are you french? because I am
kyleharty
Posted 12/6/2010 12:59 PM (#469217 - in reply to #469216)

I fish for pike quite a bit during the summer and use many of the same baits as I do for muskies. My pike spots are relatively shallow cold water pockets so techniques are a little different than if you're working deep water. Double cowgirls burned almost as fast as possible got alot of action, I've got one DCG with 3 40"s on it this last summer; jerkbaits (Suicks and gliders) and big WTD topwaters were also go-to's, the topwater strikes are a hell of a rush. I've done real well on Bulldawg's and Magdawgs although I generally don't use them as often for pike because of the durability.

IMHO, it's hard to go too big if you're looking for trophy pike, especially those monsters in Europe! As I've transitioned from "pike" sized spinnerbaits and lures to musky size lures my numbers were just as good if not better and the average and top size went up significantly. I might be crazy but next summer I'll probably give a little time to throwing 13's and pounders at them once in a while, maybe that's too much be worth of shot I think.
Neverdayz
Posted 12/6/2010 2:25 PM (#469223 - in reply to #469035)
Subject: RE: northem pike with musky lure / sonar

I live in Sweden and I use lures up to 15 inches and most musky lures I've tried works fine for pike. But I guess we often fish a bit slower than you musky fisherman does.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)