Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Tips for fishing in rain

Message Subject: Tips for fishing in rain
Firetiger
Posted 8/9/2010 8:48 PM (#454195)
Subject: Tips for fishing in rain

As I'm geting ready for my trip to LOTW, the weatherman decides to throw me a curve ball and forecast rain and light showers for most of our trip with a cold front moving in over the weekend. So now I'm digging deep into the journal.

How does everyone do in the rain or drizzly day? What are some tips/baits/techniques to get these guys to bite in the rain or showers? In the past , I've done the best with dark colors, either topwater, slow slow rolling blades,or good ole plastic.

Edited by Firetiger 8/9/2010 8:49 PM
WI Skis
Posted 8/9/2010 8:52 PM (#454197 - in reply to #454195)
Subject: Re: Tips for fishing in rain

GORE TEX!

Peter
curleytail
Posted 8/9/2010 9:09 PM (#454201 - in reply to #454195)

I really like the days that are just drizzly. More comfortable to fish in than a downpour, and I have had some really good days in a light rain. For the most part, fish where you would have before using the same baits. Fish might move shallower, or maybe not. If the shallow water is still really warm they might not move that shallow. Those rainy days can be especially awesome on flowage type lakes where the fish are shallow. Probably the same type of scenario on the stained parts of LOTW. I don't really have expererience on LOTW (unfortunately).

Other than wearing good rain gear, JUST FISH. Bucktails and topwater can be great on days like that, but you just have to go through the progression to see what the fish want. Good luck up there!

curleytail
muskie! nut
Posted 8/9/2010 9:21 PM (#454206 - in reply to #454195)

Make sure you take out your hearing aids as they will short out.

(only folks that know me will get the joke!)
ESOX Maniac
Posted 8/10/2010 9:17 AM (#454260 - in reply to #454206)

Yeah, and don't hold your cane up & shake it at the sky! I got my PB on a nice Canadian drizzly day - came off a large reef complex during a lull in the rain.

If your fishing line lifts up off the water by itself, it's time to stow the graphite lightning rod's & get outta' Dodge!

Have fun!
Al
Don Pfeiffer
Posted 8/10/2010 9:56 PM (#454436 - in reply to #454195)
Subject: RE: Tips for fishing in rain

Caught very few fish in the rain> Then again when it rains I say the hell with it and head in for lunch and cool one till it stops. For me its just that enjoyable to be out there in the rain. I guess if your on a trip and want to get in all the time you can its another thing.
When we fished tournaments we keep an extra set of clothes in the boat and and an extra rainsuit. I don't care how good of a one I have had a half day in the rain I'm wet. This way I have something warm and dry to change into and be comfortable again..

Pfeiff
Fish and Whistle
Posted 8/10/2010 11:13 PM (#454451 - in reply to #454195)

Love those drizzly, rainy days...especially on LOTW. Have not changed the way I fish during these periods from the pattern that we had put together leading into the rain.

As I look back through my photo albums most of the pictures that I'm holding big fish in, I'm also wearing my rain gear. Fish the rain until the lighting starts, then troll the bars stools.
Jomusky
Posted 8/11/2010 9:13 AM (#454509 - in reply to #454195)

Spend the money on the best rain gear you can find. It will make the difference in hating the rain and not caring if it does. I learned the hard way many years ago.

If I was starting from scratch with gear, I would buy it before even my first rod & reel or bait.

My favorite fishing day is a warm July - September one with multiple rain storms and clear skies coming through all day. They don't even have to be severe rain storms. I have done good on the days that the storms are in the area and not hitting you too. This is multiple fish day weather. I had one of these 2 weeks ago...we boat 2....missed 6.....saw 4....in Wisconsin not Canada or MN. The hot bait was a Hard Head.

Edited by Jomusky 8/11/2010 9:16 AM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)