Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> "slow rolling" a spinnerbait question...

Message Subject: "slow rolling" a spinnerbait question...
STUSHSKY
Posted 1/13/2010 9:08 AM (#416982)
Subject: "slow rolling" a spinnerbait question...

until now spinnerbaits have not been a part of what i throw but i beleive i may be missing out with this one. what exactly is "slow rolling" and are there various ways to do it? any descriptions would be greatly appreciated...
thanks...
Jerry
Posted 1/13/2010 9:36 AM (#416984 - in reply to #416982)
Subject: RE: "slow rolling" a spinnerbait question...

Slow rolling normally involves casting a spinnerbait (often a heavy bait with a large colorado blade) allowing it to sink deep with a slow retrive or a stop and start retrieve. The operative words are deep and slow. Intent is to target inactive fish or during periods of time where the strike zone is small (after a front moves through or during extreme temp changes). Spnner baits and bucktails often ride high in the water column. Slow rolling is intended to work the bait outside of the zone they are normally used. I use slow rolling in the following circumstances

Over deep submerged weed beds
Through deep water with standing timber
Over submerged stups or humps
Around schools of suspended baitfish in open water
STUSHSKY
Posted 1/13/2010 9:58 AM (#416989 - in reply to #416984)

thanks for your detailed response jerry as it is greatly appreciated,
is that basically what "slow rolling" is or are there other variations to "it" that others are using?
thanks again...
STUSHSKY
Posted 1/13/2010 10:09 AM (#416992 - in reply to #416989)

are "slow rolling" spinnerbaits beneficial during early spring as well with lower water temps as are slower moving side-to-side glide-baits?
thanks again...
PIKEMASTER
Posted 1/13/2010 10:43 AM (#417003 - in reply to #416992)

I like to slow roll a DCG 10-13 at night time, not deep but shallow 1-5 feet deep and very very slow, just so the blades are spinning.
Flambeauski
Posted 1/13/2010 10:55 AM (#417004 - in reply to #416982)
Subject: Re: "slow rolling" a spinnerbait question...

Check this article out. Dick Pearson developed the "Grinder" years ago. Not just the lure but the style of working it.

http://esoxresearch.com/research/pearsonscorner_art04.php
Jerry
Posted 1/13/2010 11:49 AM (#417010 - in reply to #416982)

I have also heard people use spinner baits as a "fall bait." they cast the bait and let it sink. While sinking the spinner flutters and the bait basically helicopters down. They will then lift the rod tip or crank the bait in so the bait comes shallow, then they let the bait fall again. They do this continually until the bait gets back to the boat. Kind of a rise and fall approach. I understand Musky will often take the bait as it is falling,

Jerry
PIKEMASTER
Posted 1/13/2010 12:44 PM (#417020 - in reply to #416982)

Go to http://mmbaits.com Muskie machinery's names all his spinner baits after Helicopters. He also has some good write ups on slow rolling a spinner bait.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)