Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> What Bucktail Material When?

Message Subject: What Bucktail Material When?
muskydeceiver
Posted 12/16/2008 10:57 AM (#350070)
Subject: What Bucktail Material When?

I recently purchased a marabou Double 10 and it got me thinking, what skirt material should I throw when? I have flashabou, silicone, and now marabou on double 10s. What makes you pick up the flashabou over the marabou, or the silicone over the flashabou etc. Is it....

Light?
Time of Day?
Speed you will fish?
Time of Year?

I think you get the idea.
Big fish only
Posted 12/16/2008 11:01 AM (#350072 - in reply to #350070)
Subject: Re: What Bucktail Material When?

which ever one that the fish have been eating before, until I figure that out I will have me throwing one, and my dad throwing the other kind and then I will switch and we will keep going until we find out the style and then switch to that with different colors.
musky-skunk
Posted 12/16/2008 11:12 AM (#350074 - in reply to #350070)
Subject: RE: What Bucktail Material When?

Boy I don't know.? I'm not sure it really matters. I have all three in double tens and bigger. I also use a lot of burners which are typically rubber or flashibou which probably has slightly less resistance than maribou. I tend to lean away from maribou slightly becouse it retains more water when casting and is harder to clean weeds out of in the slop, but as far as catching fish all three get the job done. I use flashibou the most but its just a personal preference... I'm thinking of using more maribou next year to give the fish a slightly different look though, I didn't see many people throwing it this year. Mostly just DCG's lol.

I did notice this last season that color made a HUGE difference on some lakes, even at night.
curleytail
Posted 12/16/2008 11:13 AM (#350076 - in reply to #350070)

I don't have a great answer to this, but I'll tell you what I think. I would probably use the flashabou during bright, sunny conditions for sure. I love how it just about glows in the water due to being so reflective. I also like it because it's just flashing and throwing light, and I feel like that makes it hard for fish to get a great look at the profile of the bait. I imagine to them it might look like the 'flashing' of a baitfish on the run.

Marabou - I bought a Shumway Giant Flasher very late in the fall this year, and only made a couple casts with it. It looks to me like the marabou might create a larger, fuller profile in the water. This would probably make it good for low light/night conditions, maybe even cloudy days with a chop.

Silicone? Not too sure on that one. I have a LLungen tail - single blade with the single rear treble hook. It's probably one of the most weedless bucktails I have. Not sure if it's from the silicone protecting the hook somewhat due to being heavier than the other materials, or maybe it has something to do with the single rear hook and relatively large blade on the front.

Overall, they should all work at all times of the day, and in the grand scheme of things, the fish do need to let us know what we should be throwing, but if we want to try to really fine tune our decision to try to start throwing the right bait first, these are some of the ideas I have.

curleytail
Posted 12/16/2008 11:17 AM (#350077 - in reply to #350070)

The maribou may cast better in windy conditions because it soaks up water. Otherwise, use what you have confidence in.
esox2
Posted 12/16/2008 11:22 AM (#350078 - in reply to #350070)

monday to wednesday-marabou
thursday,friday-flashabou
saturday,sunday-silicon

my reasoning is very scientific and I dont have the time or the desire to explain my reasoning in this post
Beaver
Posted 12/16/2008 11:29 AM (#350080 - in reply to #350078)

You are over-thinking it.
I remember when the only material available was hair.....squirrel tail and bucktail, and guess what, thousands if not millions of muskies were caught on Mepps'. Hair was fine then and is fine now. Throw what you want when you want. And put an Uncle Josh pork rind on it for a trailer.
The more choices we are given, the more we seem to complicate things.
mota
Posted 12/16/2008 3:08 PM (#350125 - in reply to #350070)

esox2 is so right,but i prefer bucktails instead of silicone

Edited by mota 12/16/2008 3:12 PM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)