Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Weedless Lures?

Message Subject: Weedless Lures?
Zman
Posted 8/19/2008 6:12 PM (#332316)
Subject: Weedless Lures?

This past weekend on Lotw i ran into some problems fishing thick cabbage. Grinders have always been my go to bait but they werent very effective. I also tried a couple topwaters and an eel with little success. Does anyone make muskie sized bass lures like the mass boss or jawbreaker? What do you guys throw this time of year when the weeds are at their thickest? I ended up rigging a tiger tube leaderless with a 5/0 single hook. this worked really well but im never comfortable fishing without a leader and am not too sure hooking% would be the best. thanks
momuskies
Posted 8/19/2008 6:33 PM (#332327 - in reply to #332316)
Subject: Re: Weedless Lures?

How thick were the weeds? I can usually find lanes to run spinnerbaits through. One of my favorite tactics is to throw a smaller bass size spinnerbait over the tops of the weeds or through the lanes. I really like the Blue Fox Big Bass specials which haven't been made for years. You could also try something like a big fin s fish. It's a little slow for my taste though. On a bright sunny post frontal day last year on LOTW I had some success throwing a big 1.5 ounce jig into the middle of weeds and ripping it back really hard. Only way I could move fish for a few hours. The key was not to slide through the weeds, but to basically rip the weeds apart.
Zman
Posted 8/19/2008 6:46 PM (#332331 - in reply to #332327)

The bed i am refering to is very thick, kinda like a weed mat. The bed is small but it holds a giant. It was very fishable in july but now the lanes have closed and im feeling a little helpless.
MoMuskieguy
Posted 8/19/2008 6:47 PM (#332333 - in reply to #332316)

I like to use a J Mac Lure with a grub, etc attached. It will come through the thickest weeds. 1-1/2 oz will get it deep and can be ripped through the thickest weeds.

http://www.jmaclures.com/
Zman
Posted 8/19/2008 6:54 PM (#332334 - in reply to #332316)

thanks for the help
Schuler
Posted 8/19/2008 8:00 PM (#332345 - in reply to #332316)

You could use a slug-go (they have a new 12" version) or a frogzilla/slopee pig.
Tackle Industries
Posted 8/19/2008 8:49 PM (#332351 - in reply to #332316)

Never see much talk about them but one of my favorites is a weedless Dare Devil or Johnson Silver Minnow. Timeless lures adn some of the best spoons/lures I have ever used.
Last Cast
Posted 8/20/2008 6:25 PM (#332574 - in reply to #332316)

About 6 or 7 years ago there was a lure called the Sloppy Pig or maybe Sloppee Pig by Odyessy I think. As I recall, it was a rubber lure shaped like a half pear with a single hook and trailer tassels (like a Moss Boss). In looking quickly on the internet, apparently these aren't easy to find? I don't know how to attach an image, but you can see what one looks like at www.thefriendlyfisherman.co.uk/section17009/special-offers/clearance-lures/surface-lures.html

It says it is 4" and 2.5 ounces.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)