Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "My frick'in IQ went up 60 points when I got rid of that guy"Justin Mullins in a conversation with me @ the Milwaukee show about a former employee
- (Added by: T-Bone)

Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

More Muskie Fishing -> Basement Baits and Custom Lure Painting -> keeping the bucktail bodies from spinning

Message Subject: keeping the bucktail bodies from spinning
ToddM
Posted 6/24/2008 9:49 AM (#323552)
Subject: keeping the bucktail bodies from spinning

Have any of you done anything to your baits to alleviate this/ Some bucktails seen to spin out of control it seems and you can see the twist even with good ball bearing swivels in your line. I have added bell sinkers where the front hook is or should be and it seems to work ok, especially on double 10 bucktails. It might be harder on tube style spinner, anybody have any other ideas or tricks?
BALDY
Posted 6/24/2008 9:52 AM (#323553 - in reply to #323552)
Subject: Re: keeping the bucktail bodies from spinning

A 45 degree bend in the wire right in front of the clevis will stop all spinning
Posted 6/25/2008 4:20 PM (#323787 - in reply to #323552)
Subject: RE: keeping the bucktail bodies from spinning

Also, keel shaped weights will help a lot, especially if you can fix them to the tails.
Scott Webster
Posted 6/28/2008 5:16 PM (#324230 - in reply to #323552)

I ran into some I made where about 3 out of ten would spin while the other 7 wouldn't no matter how fast they were retrieved. Ended up being the clevis. Some were bent out on the ends and were binding. Checked each after that before putting them on and have been good since.
Good luck
Bytor
Posted 6/29/2008 10:09 PM (#324334 - in reply to #324230)

The quality of the clevises on the market is pretty poor. I have never had a problem until this year. The ends are bent on a lot of them.....it never used to be a problem for me.

Edited by Bytor 6/29/2008 10:11 PM
firstsixfeet
Posted 7/9/2008 4:29 AM (#325584 - in reply to #323552)

Then of course, you have to ask yourself, is spinning really a problem for the fish?
DJohnson tells me it doesn't bother them, and he brings in his spinnerbaits with them rolled on their side.
Wayne Gutch tells me the same thing.
Mentally I guess I am too weak, either of these drives me crazy as I crank them in.
ToddM
Posted 7/9/2008 11:13 PM (#325790 - in reply to #323552)

FSF, what I don't care for is it can keep the body of the bait twisted up and not flowing. I am not sure that makes a difference either. Ball bearing swivels are not perfect and you will get line twist. Sometimes alot and that has been an issue on the double 10's.

I tried the 45 degree bend on a couple baits. Some it worked and some it did not. Interestingly the ones that did, the bend rode down, not up. Then i thought about it, the blade lift caused that.

Another observation on double tens. Most of the ones I have are .051 wire. I have two with .062 wire. The heavy wired ones pull much, much harder than do the smaller diameter wired ones.
Scott Webster
Posted 7/12/2008 5:20 PM (#326142 - in reply to #323552)

I really doubt the fish care if the body is turning or not. I just like the look of it better when it is running straight. Also not much worry of line twist.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)