Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Best Possible Hook-resistant gloves?

Message Subject: Best Possible Hook-resistant gloves?
VMS
Posted 3/27/2008 10:46 AM (#310027)
Subject: Best Possible Hook-resistant gloves?

Hi everyone,

Looking to see what is out there for the best hook-resistant fish handling gloves. Had a mishap last year with a hook through a finger (my own dumb mistake) and am looking for some hand protection. Primarily looking for something that would be somewhat puncture resistant but yet give me enough dexterity for working with the fish...

Anything out there besides a good set of thick leather gloves? How are the armor gloves and/or lindy gloves for puncture resistance?

Thanks for all suggestions

Steve
Tackle Industries
Posted 3/27/2008 11:31 AM (#310035 - in reply to #310027)
Subject: Re: Best Possible Hook-resistant gloves?

I like my Lindy gloves. I have a right and left just in case.
gtp888
Posted 3/27/2008 12:54 PM (#310063 - in reply to #310027)
Subject: RE: Best Possible Hook-resistant gloves?

I also like Lindy, but b/c you are looking for dexterity in addition to hook resistance, you may want to consider Musky Armour gloves.

To answer your question about hook resistance with the Lindy gloves, I had a pretty good sized Northern head shake a treble from a 10" jake right into my gloved hand without incident.

Edited by gtp888 3/27/2008 12:57 PM
curleytail
Posted 3/27/2008 12:57 PM (#310065 - in reply to #310027)

To steal the post a little, just HOW hook resistant are the Armor gloves? I don't mind gill rakers too much, but reaching that close to a mouth/face full of hooks to unhook a fish sometimes worries me.
Would either the lindy or Armor gloves really be able to deflect a hook very well?
Oops, I didn't realize gtp already touched on the hook resistance of the Lindy gloves. Are the Armor gloves comparable?

curleytail

Edited by curleytail 3/27/2008 1:10 PM
chico
Posted 3/27/2008 5:40 PM (#310152 - in reply to #310027)

Armor gloves are not hook resistant but are the only gloves I would ever wear, everything else is too cumbersome and limits your feel.
Ranger
Posted 3/27/2008 10:23 PM (#310220 - in reply to #310027)

I love the Lindies, but they do wear out.
Chad Cain
Posted 3/28/2008 12:21 AM (#310248 - in reply to #310027)

Hey guys,

I designed the Muskie Armor gloves, and they are definitely not hook or tooth proof! They are for preventing the annoying gill raker cuts on the knuckles when handling fish. These gloves are thin enough so that you do not lose the feel when entering the gill cover. This helps prevent your hands from getting into the gills, and they will eliminate the gill raker cuts when the fish thrashes. They also give you a much better grip while holding fish for the quick photo. Please don't expect these gloves to shield hooks!

Chad

gtp888
Posted 3/28/2008 8:32 AM (#310284 - in reply to #310248)

Chad, thanks for the info and the correction where I mis-spoke. I meant to say the Armours will provide some protection, but shouldn't have said hook resistance. Hope my mistake didn't mis-lead anyone. Thanks again for clearing things up w/regards to Musky Armour gloves!

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)