Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Big Daddy jerkbait

Message Subject: Big Daddy jerkbait
JKahler
Posted 3/15/2008 2:31 AM (#307573)
Subject: Big Daddy jerkbait

I see Musky Mahem is selling these now. They looked nice at the Blaine show but I had run out of money by that point.

What's the hang time like on these? Do they go deeper than a Suick?
fishyj
Posted 3/15/2008 4:48 AM (#307582 - in reply to #307573)
Subject: RE: Big Daddy jerkbait

the smaller ones float back up faster than the large ones. much deeper than a suick since they have the plastic lip on the front. good bait to drive deep and into weeds.
FishingFool
Posted 3/15/2008 1:14 PM (#307623 - in reply to #307573)

I LOVE Big Daddy's,I have lots of em,pre Mahem lures...the previous post has it wrong,the small one will run deeper and hang longer because they are less boyant,(less wood).The big ones... I can make them get to 10 feet if I work them,looooong pulls,constant pressure on the line and they will dive.if you work em like a Bobbie they run 4-6 with no problem.I like to let em rise almost to the surface near the boat,a Dave Dorazio trick,(I did pay attention to what he was telling me...LOL),some have a tail shimmy/shake.Fish like them too...I didn't get any at the show cause I have enough of them,maybe next year I will try their version.Nice looking lures too.
Medford Fisher
Posted 3/15/2008 3:44 PM (#307646 - in reply to #307573)
Subject: Re: Big Daddy jerkbait

Hey guys, I'm not sure if Mayhem is making a weighted version or not; saw them in Milwaukee but I didn't get a chance to take a close look. The "originals" were made in regular and weighted version for the bigger version and I'm not sure about the smaller version. Garret Shipman was one of the two original makers of the bait...I had him as a teacher and a basketball coach here in Medford...great guy!

Paul....don't be giving secrets away now!!!....(I love using a suick like that).

P.S. Paul, I was wondering if I left a plano box of baits in your boat at all this fall? It would have a 10-inch custom suick and a few other baits as well...can't find it anywhere around here. Let me know either way...thanks.
-Jake Bucki
Dacron + Dip
Posted 3/15/2008 4:05 PM (#307647 - in reply to #307573)

I started using one last summer and liked it. I didn't have to bend the corner tabs on the tail down like a Bobbie to get it to wobble. Mine wobbled right out of the box with the tail left alone at 90 degrees with no bending. It will be a super trolling bait. It does run deep and hangs well. The middle hook gave me trouble sticking into the back of the lure but I bent it off center a bit and no more trouble. I love that a crankbait lip eats the rocks and not soft pine...the lip is the smartest feature in my opinion. I think more co.'s should look closely at adding tough lips to the nose for durability. These are solid baits, I will throw and troll mine more this year. Thru the figure 8 or box it really thumps hard, a great boatside jerkbait.
AWH
Posted 3/15/2008 8:30 PM (#307671 - in reply to #307646)
Subject: Re: Big Daddy jerkbait

Medford Fisher - 3/15/2008 3:44 PM

Hey guys, I'm not sure if Mayhem is making a weighted version or not; saw them in Milwaukee but I didn't get a chance to take a close look. The "originals" were made in regular and weighted version for the bigger version and I'm not sure about the smaller version.

Mayhem is making the big one in both weighted and unweighted. The little one comes in only the unweighted model.

Aaron
John
Posted 3/16/2008 10:43 AM (#307728 - in reply to #307573)

I really liked the video footage of the Big Daddy a few years back. So I bought a couple. No matter what I did I could never get them to run the way they did in the video. They always tracked to one side... Any tricks to getting these to track properly?

John
FishingFool
Posted 3/16/2008 11:05 AM (#307731 - in reply to #307573)

turn the lure upside down,make sure the hook hangers are straight,in line.next look at the tail,it has to be even,can be bent down but it should be even.If those don't work,send em to me,I will figure em out...LOL Paul
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)