Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Musky fly fishers?

Message Subject: Musky fly fishers?
Cardiff 300
Posted 7/11/2007 9:50 PM (#264781)
Subject: Musky fly fishers?

What rod wt. are you guys using? How about leaders and tippets? Loop to loop connections? What streamers are you guys throwing?

Thanks.
Dunlap
Posted 7/12/2007 8:33 AM (#264831 - in reply to #264781)
Subject: RE: Musky fly fishers?

There is a book written by a gentleman named Robert Tomes called "Muskies on the Fly". You should pick it up and read it. Full of great information.

http://roberttomes.com/

This guy is probably # 1 muskie fly fisherman in the world.

Jimmy
redeagle
Posted 7/12/2007 3:46 PM (#264938 - in reply to #264781)

My setup is as follows:

Rod - 10wt Sage RPLXi
Line- Climax WF Floating w/Ghost Tip (9ft clear section at tip)
Leader-55lb Mono (3 1/2ft) with Climax Wire Bite Tippet (6in)

I loop to loop the leader to the line..... tie the wire with a nail knot

This article touches on what flies to use...
http://www.midcurrent.com/articles/techniques/tomes_muskie.aspx
Big Perc
Posted 7/13/2007 9:50 AM (#265072 - in reply to #264781)
Subject: Re: Musky fly fishers?

I use a premier 9 wt Rod with a Cabelas Cahill II reel paired with Cortland Musky/Pike WF 9 F line...for leader/tippet material I tie a piece of 17 pound mono and loop to loop and piece for tyger wire 35 lb test to the last 10-15 inches...for pike it has yet to fail me...never caught a muskie on a fly rod...

Big Perc
suick_Nat_ walleye
Posted 7/13/2007 1:04 PM (#265133 - in reply to #264781)

I dont get it.... You havent even fished musky with gear and you are thinking about doing it with a flyrod? (this doesnt make sense to me) Are you an advanced flyrod angler? Are you familiar with Double-hauling large flies into the wind? Can you cast 60-80 ft? Have you ever casted a 9 or 10 wt flyrod? If your answers are no, no, no and no then your probably arent going to be able to participate in this sport.... You should stick with smallies from the bank and leave the skies to people that really fish for them (until you get the cash for gear or a clue or preferably both)
Cardiff 300
Posted 7/13/2007 2:25 PM (#265158 - in reply to #264781)

Ah, com'on Suick, you didn't have to be nasty about it, man. I do have an 8 wt. though. Fly fishing is much more enjoyable than gear fishing and it's just something I'm preparing for next summer when I go back up north.
JKahler
Posted 7/13/2007 5:41 PM (#265192 - in reply to #264781)

Is that book out yet? I had it preordered on Amazon.com and it kept saying 'delayed'.

suick_Nat_ walleye
Posted 7/16/2007 11:15 AM (#265479 - in reply to #264781)

Not really being nasty just realistic. 8wt is too light and if you did hook a fish chances are it would snap your rod so I am actually helping you not just rippin' on you for fun. Big flies need a big rod to cast them so you are better off with at least a 10 wt. (but that is my opinion and I am not a pro...) Plus you are going to have a hard time trying for skies from shore. If I were you I would target pike as well since you have a better chance with those guys. Try Deceivers in char/whi red/wh red/yellow nat/wh and some bunnies in the same color combos. Dont forget the bite tippet. Good luck.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)