Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> What size net?

Message Subject: What size net?
BrianS
Posted 7/24/2022 3:19 PM (#1010050)
Subject: What size net?

Hi Everyone,
I am looking for a new net but not trying to break the bank. I have seen so many kinds of nets but I don't know what size or brand is recommended. I fish from a boat if that makes a difference. I would like to get a rubber netting material as well. I have had the nylon type nets and i have had fish bite right through them.
Thanks for any help
B
NPike
Posted 7/24/2022 5:41 PM (#1010056 - in reply to #1010050)
Subject: RE: What size net?

frabill makes a great coated 32 by 41" hoop that's been working great for > years and it doesn't harm the fish no tangles or slime cut thru's on the fish. Personally I try not to boat them but hold them in the net boatside grap by jaw and unhook while in the net often never boating the fish. They are called the conservation series
Good luck BTW they are a bit cheaper than comparable alternatives.
Resolute
Posted 7/25/2022 9:51 AM (#1010076 - in reply to #1010050)

I also personally use a Frabill (power catch big game), although there are a lot of options out there. Frabill, Drifter, RS, Clam, and Stowmaster are probably the most popular brands out there although I'm sure I'm missing some. Unfortunately (like most things musky) they can be pretty expensive.

As for size, do you fish solo or with a boat partner? Some of the bags are a little thick and drag more in the water so a huge net can sometimes be tougher for people to handle by themselves. Your mileage may vary though. I haven't done it yet personally, but I know some people have started adding a jig ripper handle to their net handle to make it easier to use solo.

If you're fishing from a boat and have the room for it, I'd get the biggest net you can get away with and afford. It's nice having that big bag act as a live well when you're unhooking the fish.
Cabbage Patch
Posted 7/25/2022 10:33 AM (#1010077 - in reply to #1010076)

I had a Drifter but switched to the largest stowmaster. I can say one big plus is that the larger size plus the shape allows for the fish to remain deeper in the water which results in less rolling of the fish. With a deep v boat it really makes a difference.
chuckski
Posted 7/25/2022 10:53 AM (#1010078 - in reply to #1010050)
Subject: Re: What size net?

The net I had as a kid and young adult was small and on the flimsy side as far as today's standards. I netted 40 inchers with it then in the early 90's I got early generation Beckman then dad got a second Beckman (four of us fishing in two boats)Nice strong nets but untreated bags and metal grommets. I later got a Frabil Big Kauna and dad replaced the bag on his Beckman with a treated bag but still has the grommets. I got rid of my Beckman I still have dad's and I fish by myself a lot and the Big Kauna is hard to use by myself. The next trip I make to Muskie country I'll look to find a modern net the size of my Beckman. Metal grommets are hard on the fish. Money well spent on a good net if you don't spend the money land them by hand. (or watch your fish of a lifetime swim thru your net)
Ogandrews
Posted 7/25/2022 10:53 AM (#1010079 - in reply to #1010050)

I use the largest size round clam and really like it. It’s not expensive compared to other nets, netting is easy to untangle and it being round makes it super easy to solo net. Not the lightest net but it’s not unreasonably heavy
nar160
Posted 7/25/2022 1:17 PM (#1010084 - in reply to #1010050)

Based on my experience, I wouldn't go under 30x32 and I also don't see the need to go over 32x41 or similar. Make sure it has a deep bag made out of decent material.
Kirby Budrow
Posted 7/25/2022 3:51 PM (#1010088 - in reply to #1010050)

Frabil Power Catch Big Game is awesome. I fish alone a lot and it's perfect for me. Sometimes I wish I had the big kahuna but I've had fish up to 56" in the Big Game.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)