Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> New to Muskie

Message Subject: New to Muskie
ewism
Posted 1/14/2017 3:56 AM (#846072)
Subject: New to Muskie

I have a lot of gear that I'm currently using for saltwater fishing but will want to start musky fishing this year. I plan to spend time around Iowa /MN and upstate New York. What I have now that I intend to use for freshwater is a Abu Garcia Toro S 60 with a Toro Veritas Toro 7'9" 20-50lb, Diawa Saltist level wind 20 H-C with a Shimano Convergence 8ft XXH 80-100 and a Abu Garcia 6500C3 with a Ugly Stick Tiger Medium 10-50lb. What else would I need this spring and summer in reels or rods to start Musky fishing? I know the rods are probably on the low end and I do intend to upgrade but with retirement just around the corner not in the budget now. Should I bring lighter rods and reels because everything seems so over the top heavy and may be overkill or is every Musky out there a tackle buster? Thanks for helping. Reg in SoCal
BTW the Convergence rod I hadn't used in the salt but got it recently specifically for Musky. It wason sale at Cabela's for only $54

JakeStCroixSkis
Posted 1/14/2017 5:27 AM (#846074 - in reply to #846072)
Subject: Re: New to Muskie

You will need good release tools including knipex hook cutters, buy a few good leaders, a topraider, a softail phantom and a nickel/black double bladed bucktail you will be all set.

Rods and reels will be fine.
ewism
Posted 1/14/2017 6:55 AM (#846078 - in reply to #846074)

Thank you. Hadn't thought about the Knipex. I guess the 8" , right? What colors for the TopRaider? They are pricey, want to get the right colors. Leaders I've researched 12" steel and 130lb fluro. My reels have 50 and 65 Power pro and I'm thinking going to 80 or 100 to on the Saltist 20H-C
Anybody ever use a two speed reel? I have a Penn Torque 25N 2 speed that Im pretty good at casting 2-5oz jigs for Tuna in the salt would that be useful. Thanks, Reg in SoCal
25homes
Posted 1/14/2017 10:25 AM (#846108 - in reply to #846072)

I get the 100-150lb titanium leaders or the 130-150lb floro I actually use both...Top raider get something with Black or black and orange...get longest snips and plyers you can get...I bought the 13 inch snap on cutters like $80 but lifetime waranty and cut anything and I also got the 13 inch long nose plyers from Lowes get a good set of jaw spreaders (Tyrant I like best) they cheap and get big net if u dont have gotta release as fast and safe as possibble...Also Check BPS they usually cheapest by far for the Leaders
Muskie Kid
Posted 1/14/2017 10:26 AM (#846109 - in reply to #846078)

ewism - 1/14/2017 6:55 AM

Thank you. Hadn't thought about the Knipex. I guess the 8" , right? What colors for the TopRaider? They are pricey, want to get the right colors. Leaders I've researched 12" steel and 130lb fluro. My reels have 50 and 65 Power pro and I'm thinking going to 80 or 100 to on the Saltist 20H-C
Anybody ever use a two speed reel? I have a Penn Torque 25N 2 speed that Im pretty good at casting 2-5oz jigs for Tuna in the salt would that be useful. Thanks, Reg in SoCal

Color depends on many things. Water clarity, sky conditions, forage base etc. as far as release tools go...hook cutters, hook pick, jaw spreaders, long needle nose pliers...
Randy
Posted 1/14/2017 10:50 AM (#846111 - in reply to #846109)

You're best off not starting. However, if you don't have much invested yet, get out before the fever sets in! Lol

As far as color goes, black is a good color. Get a couple bucktails, a spinnerbait or two, a black topraider, a suick, couple shallow raiders, and a walk the dog type jerkbait. Don't get caught up in the most expensive baits catch more fish crap. Don't overthink muskys, they know when they are hungry, and they know when to reproduce. That's pretty much it...
ewism
Posted 1/14/2017 11:44 AM (#846117 - in reply to #846072)

Thanks for all the info! LOL. Growing up in Northern Iowa I've had Muskie fever since a high schooler. Never had the opportunity to catch them then. Caught a lot of Northern Pike but my dad was a bass and salt fisherman so lots of Johnson 100B, Citations, Garcia Mitchell 300 and the salt reel 302. Still have them from him. After the Army in 1975 I just stayed in SoCal so now in retirement I'm going for Muskie. Thanks all for the tips. I'll check BPS. Reg in SoCal
Emptynet
Posted 1/14/2017 2:45 PM (#846138 - in reply to #846072)
Subject: RE: New to Muskie

Sent you a PM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)