Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 3 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Fishing Reports and Destinations -> Pewaukee Lake Report

Message Subject: Pewaukee Lake Report
Mikes Extreme
Posted 5/3/2007 11:03 PM (#254457 - in reply to #191019)
Subject: RE: Pewaukee Lake Report

Looking back at last year opener. Things should be just about the same as far as water temps. Weeds will be down lower this opener.

I thought I would bring this back so others can see whats been released to grow for this years opener.

Kevin that was the first game I went to this year. Back to back homers killed us that game. It's not my fault. LOL

Edited by Mikes Extreme 5/15/2007 6:58 PM
MuskyHopeful
Posted 5/4/2007 12:00 AM (#254463 - in reply to #254457)

Yeah, but the smoked meat level will be higher.

See a lot of folks tomorrow I hope.

Nice job at the Brewer game dufus.

Kevin
Mikes Extreme
Posted 5/22/2007 4:00 PM (#257355 - in reply to #254463)

How time flies when the fishing season starts. Here it is the third week of May, and I am just now getting time to type up this report on Pewaukee Lake. So much has happened since my first May report. The Pewaukee Classic was a great time, and I ended up getting a 3rd place trophy for my 39-inch muskie I caught while fishing with my friend Mike Phelps.

Mike and I started out fishing the wind blown North shore in the narrows because that shoreline was getting pounded by wind for a few days and the fish were stacked up. Mike and I worked jerk baits, twitch baits and glide baits to see what would trigger a strike. The Suick was the first lure to draw a strike but that 40-incher got lucky enough to not get hooked. Mike was now pumped to get more action and continued to work his Suick. I switched to a Suick I had that was hot a few days earlier. Within an hour, I had a very respectable 39-incher hooked. I looked for the closest boat in the tourny and got them to confirm the length. That was the only legal fish we caught that day, but it was a fun day on the water and for a great cause. Six fish were caught that day by 80 some people that signed up. A 40 took 1st, a 39 1/2 took 2nd, and my 39 took 3rd place. After a good meal, everyone got door prizes and the lucky winners of the raffles got to go home super happy.

Muskie fishing from that second weekend up to this past weekend was just OK. Most of the fish caught were smaller male fish with some larger female muskies showing up just to follow lures to the boat and turn off. The Wisconsin Muskie Tour(WMT) came to Pewaukee Lake the 19th of May, and 22 fish were caught and released by 150 muskie fishermen. 75 teams hit the water Saturday morning for 10 hours of fishing. 4 teams got 2 muskies and 14 other teams caught one muskie. I fished it with a friend from work, and we had plenty of chances to catch some quality muskies but we never got to register any fish for a number of reasons. My partner and I had fish going on glide baits and twitch baits. Slammers and Undertakers to be exact. The winners caught their fish on Bull Dawgs. Actually, over half of the fish were caught ripping Bull Dawgs over open water or over the top of the weeds. I talked to plenty of the fishermen after the tourny and multiple patterns were showing fish but ripping the Dawgs triggered the fish into striking. The largest fish was a 46.5 incher, and that fish hit a plastic lure too. All in all a very good tourny on Pewaukee Lake. The weather was perfect and the fish were getting ready to start eating again as the effects of the spawn wear off.

I had a guide outing the day after the WMT tourny, and we made the best out of the conditions we had. With all the pressure of the tourny and the severe cold front that set in that night, I told my clients that it was going to be very tough and we were going to have to work hard to find an active fish and then get it to eat a bait. I fished with Scott Allen and his dad Jack that morning because Joy Allen, Scott's mom gave him a gift certificate to go muskie fishing. We started out fishing around 7am and didn't see a fish by noon, what a slow post-cold front morning. After lunch we decided to work the warmest water we could find and stick to it for the remainder of the outing. After a few lure changes, Scott got a small muskie to eat a Suick. I gave Jack my favorite Slammer twitch bait to work and showed him the best way to work it. After the first run through that area I was encouraged by the warming water temps and the sun starting to peak through the clouds.

Jack was getting tired but kept with it. Then it all came together for us with a few broken words and grunts from Jack as he set the hooks into his first muskie on his first day of muskie fishing. Now this fish was no ordinary muskie from what I could see as I hurried up to the front of the boat to remove the trolling motor and get the net ready. I was happy to see a huge fish on the other end of my clients rod. This huge muskie was exactly what us muskie fishermen fish for each and every day we set out to catch our dream fish. Not only was Jack battling his first muskie on his first muskie trip, but it was a fish of a lifetime for most muskie fishermen. Scott asked if he could net his dad's fish, and I was happy to watch knowing that Scott is a veteran muskie angler. Jack battled the huge fish like a champ with Scott netting the fish as soon as it got close enough to put the net under her. Jack has now caught a 49-inch muskie on his first time out muskie fishing. After a few quality pictures, he released the fish to make someones elses outing a trip they will remember forever. I explained to Jack just how rare it is to catch a muskie over the four foot mark. A fifty is the standard rule of a true trophy but any muskie that gets into the mid to upper 40's is a trophy in my opinion.

Look for this coming Memorial Day weekend to be the start of the good fishing. Water temps are getting back up into the mid 60s, and the fish will start to get more active. With the fishing just getting better and lots of clients waiting to get out, I will try to keep a Pewaukee Lake report going for those who are wondering what is working and what the water temps are in the area. Look for the bucktail bite to get rocking and the top water bite to start soon. Most of the fish that have been caught in my boat are the smaller males and some upper 30's fish. Jack's 49-incher is the largest so far, and more magnum fish will visit my boat this season. If you're thinking about getting a date booked for this summer or fall I would strongly suggest dropping me a call or e-mail so we can get you hooked up. Lets get out fishing. I would be glad to put you on the hot bite, proven patterns or show you all the hot spots. It's time for you to experience Mike's Extreme Guide Service.

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(39classic5x3.jpg)

(49jacks3x5.jpg)

(49headshot2x1.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 39classic5x3.jpg (60KB - 150 downloads)
Attachments 49jacks3x5.jpg (86KB - 158 downloads)
Attachments 49headshot2x1.jpg (37KB - 135 downloads)
esoxnut
Posted 5/26/2007 10:31 PM (#258134 - in reply to #191019)
Subject: Re: Pewaukee Lake Report

5-25 Saw 5 fish after 7:00 pm, 4 under 25" and 1 maybe 30". All of the follows stayed at least 5 feet behind the lure and didnt even show an interest in a figure 8. Great conditions to be out there, cold front the night before, sunny all day, no wind, doesnt get much worse. Did manage to get a nice tan.
Mikes Extreme
Posted 5/27/2007 11:14 AM (#258183 - in reply to #258134)

Great window of action this past week from 5pm till 8pm. Night bite still is not there for some reason. I got out Saturday night from 6pm till 8pm and moved 4 fish on top water, all in the mid thirty's range. 66 degrees to 68 degrees on Pewaukee. Fish are shallow to deep water, they seem to be in a funk with the fast warm up, then cool down, and now a good warm up again. Some big girls are looking but not very active. Lots of mid to upper 20's growing up to keep us going in the years to come. Good to see those little guys, even if they are a pain in the a$$ at times.

Panfish and Bass are stacking up in the shallows. Look for some great action if your into catching lots of fish. The weeds are loaded with fish and will be for a few weeks more until the fish move to deeper water. Look for some great muskie action to start up now. Everything is just getting going. Time to start catching some nice sized muskies. See ya out there!!!
Mikes Extreme
Posted 6/12/2007 6:40 PM (#260605 - in reply to #258183)

After a few frendly e-mails and pm's--OK, OK, guys, here the latest news on Pewaukee Lake.

Water temperatures are in the mid 70's and going up with this recent week of heat. The muskie action has been good in the early morning and late afternoons. Multiple patterns have produced fish in the past two weeks. Bucktails have got most of the fish burned over the weeds. Top water baits like a Headbanger, Top Raiders, Creeper and Hawg Wobbler have all caught fish recently. Bucktails of all kinds have produced action. I also had a few reports of fish caught on crankbaits casted and trolled from past clients and friends. I got out for a couple hours late Saturday afternoon and caught a low thirtys and a 38-incher trolling cranks through the schools of gills that I found in open water.

Most of the action has been from smaller fish with some low 40's and one mid 40's fish CPR'ed last week. Now don't get me wrong, Pewaukee lake can shut a good stick down on some days and make a hero out of a first timer on others. The fishing is far from outstanding the past two weeks if your looking for good muskies. Now if your targeting sub legals the action is hot for 25 to 28 inchers in the larger weed beds on the eastern half of the lake. You will get your chances for a good fish if you put your time in and keep a positive attitude. Working the deeper weed edges will increase your chances for a quality fish.

The weeds are now almost back to normal and lots of fish in and around the weeds. This week I have noticed lots of panfish starting to move out and spread all over the deeper water. Most of these fish are hanging in the top 10ft of the water column. This is the time of year you can troll or cast for muskies. I had two clients out last night that started out casting and then wanted to take a break so I set up some lines and shortline trolled for about a half hour. I mentioned the walleyes that were stacking up in the area we were trolling and they were interested in them. I set up two rods to get down to that depth and quickly caught a 20-incher. They liked that and we kept trolling but it's hard to not cast when the ski's are still in the casting spots. Trolling will come soon enough.

This is the time of the season where the muskies and baitfish will start to move to deeper water. I will be targeting the areas where larger weedbeds reach into deeper water, main lake points, islands, and river channels. It will not be long for the trolling bite to get started. For now I will enjoy the casting bite as long as it still shows me some of the 40-inch class fish. Once the larger fish start to move out I will split my time between casting and trolling.

Crank baits, bucktails, jerk baits and even plastics will produce for a while yet. With the water temperatures going up so is the muskies metabolism. They are eating more and can be more active. Get out early if you can, that is been the best action in the past few weeks. Don't get frustrated if you don't move a fish, keep up a positive attitude and they will show up. The last 7 fish caught out of my boat were caught without even a follow. I can handle catching evey fish we come in contact with, follows are good but feeling a fish first is best.

Sorry for the lack of reports here and on my web site. Lots of things going on with a family, regular job and guide jobs after work. Life is going by way to fast. Thank god for fishing, wait, thats even work. LOL

Good luck to all, See Ya on the water!!!
Ken Engel
Posted 6/12/2007 7:18 PM (#260609 - in reply to #191019)

Now that's a fishing report Mike, Thanks!!!!!!
mikeykliff
Posted 6/13/2007 1:50 AM (#260657 - in reply to #191019)

Great report. a guy at dicks bait was talking me up on purple bucktails being the hot item on Pewaukee, any truth to that? All the follows I had were on black and orange, which he said dont bother with. (funny eh?)

If anyone has an open seat let me know @[email protected] Ive got off work untill the 22nd or so. Medical leave I think im okay for fishin.

Mikes Extreme
Posted 7/2/2007 1:57 PM (#263365 - in reply to #260657)

The trolling bite is now starting to get going. Clients have had to sort through a bumper crop of sub-legals to get a few legals. A couple good ones have been caught lately including a very nice upper 40 casting.

Both casting and trolling have been productive. Trolling has out produced casting just because more water is covered with more baits. I will post a few recent client pictures and add a better report as soon as I get some free time.

Bucktails and crank baits have out produced any other baits lately. The fish are very active and ready to battle.

Edited by Mikes Extreme 7/3/2007 5:36 AM

(35mikey3x5.jpg)

(muskyboy5x3.jpg)

(37dan5x3.jpg)

(36anderson2x1.jpg)

(34katie2x1.jpg)

(34dale1x2.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 35mikey3x5.jpg (52KB - 156 downloads)
Attachments muskyboy5x3.jpg (67KB - 152 downloads)
Attachments 37dan5x3.jpg (76KB - 161 downloads)
Attachments 36anderson2x1.jpg (46KB - 151 downloads)
Attachments 34katie2x1.jpg (41KB - 155 downloads)
Attachments 34dale1x2.jpg (36KB - 137 downloads)
branden
Posted 7/3/2007 4:20 AM (#263464 - in reply to #257355)

hey mike if you can call me sometime tomorow or on the 4 th i would like to set something up for some muskie fishing my name is branden my number is 262 844 4853 i have off all week so feel free to call at anytime
Mikes Extreme
Posted 8/7/2007 8:34 PM (#269089 - in reply to #263464)

Ok, here is the recent report on Pewaukee Lake. Sorry for the lack of reports here but my website is always just one click away. I try to update it every couple weeks or more.

Water temps on Pewaukee Lake have been just around the danger zone. The last week of July had the water cooking in the 82 to 83 degree range. I was doing my best to reschedule the guide dates during this high water temps. Most eveyone didn't have a problem with it and got alternate dates for the ones I had to cancel.

It's the 7th of August and I am still waiting for the rcent rain to cool the lake down under the 80 degree mark. Thursday 8/9 calls for rain and cooler temps so this might be the break we are looking for. I have heard of multiple muskies floating dead in the past week or two. I personally know of a 38 and 39 that are floating around for everyone to see what excessive heat will do to released muskies. Delayed mortality is huge during this heat. Please respect the resource.

I hear some other guides are still fishing but all anyone can control is themselves. I am looking forward to getting back out soon, it's killing me.

The action before the heat was outstanding. Multiple fish nites with multi species being common. Muskies, northern pike, walleyes, and bass were all active. Trolling was the best for numbers with some action on the weedlines for the casting fishermen. The nite bite, early and late in the day was best for the people working the weedlines and points.

My clients have been sticking lots of fish every day up to this heat wave that set in at the end of July while I was up at Mille Lac's catching some huge fish casting after dark. Our annual week long trip to Mille Lac's was awsome. My first fish was a very solid 50.25-inch muskie that came 3 hours into our trip. My partner Randy scored the next fish and it went 49-inches to start the week. Great trip for all of us. You got to like that pond.

Anyway, back to Pewaukee. With the water temps in the 80 to 82 degree range the fish will still be very active. Please respect the resource and let the water cool some. Two to three degrees is a huge drop and the fish will still be there for everyone to catch. Recently the lake is not getting lots of pressure because the word is out on how many fish are dieing while being released. Water releases are the best at this time of high water temps. No net, just reach down and cut or unhook the fish at boatside. This is the best for the fish.

The patterns I work are suspended fish and structure fish at this time of the season. Look for the concentrations of bait and the preditors will be close by. Crank baits have worked the best trolled through the schools of gills, crappies and baby perch. Colors like firetiger, white, green, orange and even red have produced very well. Try to match the bait fish your fishing around. If it's crappies stacked up go with white and black, gills and perch I would go darker.

I will toss up some pictures from the early July trips on Pewaukee Lake and some from just before the water got to hot.

Edited by Mikes Extreme 8/7/2007 9:04 PM

(41tim2x1.jpg)

(40skijoe2x1.jpg)

(riley40pike2x1.jpg)

(riley38ski2x1.jpg)

(40july2x1.jpg)

(36tom2x1.jpg)

(37shawn2x1.jpg)

(39johnsboy2x1.jpg)

(35joe2x1.jpg)

(33joe2x1.jpg)

(37_5matt1x2.jpg)

(steve2x1.jpg)

(40chris2x1.jpg)

(7-9eyes2x1.jpg)

(kens22eye2x1.jpg)

(matts2x1.jpg)

(julyski1x2.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 41tim2x1.jpg (41KB - 159 downloads)
Attachments 40skijoe2x1.jpg (40KB - 130 downloads)
Attachments riley40pike2x1.jpg (47KB - 131 downloads)
Attachments riley38ski2x1.jpg (47KB - 138 downloads)
Attachments 40july2x1.jpg (45KB - 147 downloads)
Attachments 36tom2x1.jpg (45KB - 128 downloads)
Attachments 37shawn2x1.jpg (41KB - 129 downloads)
Attachments 39johnsboy2x1.jpg (44KB - 124 downloads)
Attachments 35joe2x1.jpg (44KB - 123 downloads)
Attachments 33joe2x1.jpg (40KB - 149 downloads)
Attachments 37_5matt1x2.jpg (46KB - 112 downloads)
Attachments steve2x1.jpg (37KB - 163 downloads)
Attachments 40chris2x1.jpg (43KB - 125 downloads)
Attachments 7-9eyes2x1.jpg (38KB - 131 downloads)
Attachments kens22eye2x1.jpg (40KB - 128 downloads)
Attachments matts2x1.jpg (41KB - 144 downloads)
Attachments julyski1x2.jpg (46KB - 135 downloads)
THA4
Posted 8/8/2007 8:16 PM (#269230 - in reply to #191019)

thanks for the update and all the pix
cant get enough ski photoa
Mikes Extreme
Posted 8/29/2007 4:43 PM (#272354 - in reply to #269230)

Pewaukee is still in the "slow no wake" and the fishing is picking up. Trolling is still very good. The slow no wake will be in effect through this Labor Day weekend so the fishing should just get better. Very nice to enjoy fishing this lake when all the other boats are just putting around.

Trolling is still rocking as the fish are starting to move back in shallow as the water temps fall in to the mid 70's. Look for the casting bite to get going very soon. I know of multiple fish taken this past weekend casting. Crankbaits, topwater and bucktails were the hot baits. I have still been putting the smack down on the muskies trolling with my clients. See my website for more details, pictures and client storys.
Mikes Extreme
Posted 9/19/2007 8:03 PM (#275750 - in reply to #272354)

Well for those who are waiting for the casting bite to get going down here in South Eastern Wisconsin it's time to get back in action. Th recent cool down that set in last weekend, the shorter days and cool night has jump started the casting bite around here. Mid to upper 60's can be found on most area lakes now. The warm southeast winds the last few days have warmed up the water some and also the action. Multiple fish afternoons have been comon. Trolling is still very good as the suspendo's are showing up on the breaks and flats. The weed lines are now alive with action from the new fish that are roaming the weeds. The best part of this time of year is the fish you get to follow will be very active and go around the 8 a bunch of times. The first 20ft of your cast and the last 20 have been where the fish hit. Top water, bucktails and cranks have produced.

Look for the action to heat up as the water cools down and more fish move up into the weeds. This is the time of year you have to choose what to do. Cast or troll. Both are working and some times one is better than the other. Last night my client had 4 hits in the first hour of trolling. He boated two, lost one at the boat and missed on. We trolled for another hour and then switched to casting as the sun was going down. A hour of casting with no action had me wondering if we should have kept trolling. Moon set was only a half hour away so I headed to the two spots that produced the night before for yesterdays client. Ben was pumped to score and his determination was solid. The water exploded at boat side as a three footer crushed his Lungen DC9(proto type)(available soon). After a great fight I slipped the net under Bens third muskie. A quick picture and we were back to casting the moon set. Minutes later I had a mid thirtys fish eat my Lungen Reefer Night Biteas I started to crank it. I offered the fish to Ben and he refused. He wanted to see how I fought the fish and set up the net job.

Long story short, they are starting to get active and are now in the shallows. I will add a few pics for the last week or so. For a more detailed report see my website "mikekoepp.com".

(40russ5x3.jpg)

(40humcke5x3.jpg)

(39humcke5x3.jpg)

(41dean3x5.jpg)

(43scott5x3.jpg)

(41scott5x3.jpg)

(37stan5x3.jpg)

(halftail2x1.jpg)

(bobsboy2x1.jpg)

(jakes34.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 40russ5x3.jpg (69KB - 124 downloads)
Attachments 40humcke5x3.jpg (67KB - 127 downloads)
Attachments 39humcke5x3.jpg (75KB - 135 downloads)
Attachments 41dean3x5.jpg (62KB - 126 downloads)
Attachments 43scott5x3.jpg (79KB - 120 downloads)
Attachments 41scott5x3.jpg (69KB - 122 downloads)
Attachments 37stan5x3.jpg (73KB - 128 downloads)
Attachments halftail2x1.jpg (42KB - 118 downloads)
Attachments bobsboy2x1.jpg (44KB - 124 downloads)
Attachments jakes34.jpg (37KB - 101 downloads)
Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 3 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)