Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: Hand to hand combat, catching a fish a boatside!
- (Added by: big gun)

Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 3 [30 messages per page]

More Muskie Fishing -> Basement Baits and Custom Lure Painting -> Basement Baits World Championship, Submit Your Lure!

Message Subject: Basement Baits World Championship, Submit Your Lure!
castmaster
Posted 2/7/2012 5:10 PM (#537277 - in reply to #529320)
Subject: Re: Basement Baits World Championship, Submit Your Lure!

Good luck to those that entered!
Pikopath
Posted 2/8/2012 1:24 AM (#537366 - in reply to #529320)

Ye, good luck to everyone! Hope to have the event well covered with pictures and such.Michael

Edited by Pikopath 2/8/2012 1:27 AM
jbreivogel
Posted 2/8/2012 12:08 PM (#537464 - in reply to #537366)

Good luck to everyone!!! I have 18 fantastic entries, can't wait to meet some of you. I will post pics and video as soon as I can. Thanks again!!!
castmaster
Posted 2/13/2012 8:29 PM (#538568 - in reply to #531534)

jbreivogel - 1/5/2012 7:45 PM

I thought about that and a stand or display would detract from the features and hard work you put into a bait. We may think of that for the future and will take that suggestion into consideration, but for this year we are going to stick to just the lures. We will have the lures displyed on a wall with velcro and will be able to be taken down and examined under supervision of course. This will allow the voters to check out the smallest of details.

PLEASE TAKE THIS AS INTENDED.....Simply a little constructive criticism.

One of the reasons I chose not to enter, as well as several other builders I have talked to, is that it just didnt seem like there were really set rules etc and that it was more of a thrown together deal. An example of this is your quoted reply to the person asking about using a display stand. Those builders getting their info from you on this site were told that no stands were allowed. Yet in the pics from the show there are lures on display stands, including Mr Nimmers creeper on a motorized and mirrored turntable! Now not being present in person I surely dont know how that may have affected anyones vote, but I know such things have a way of catching peoples eye and "enhancing" a product. heck if they didnt folks wouldnt go through the trouble of using things like that. The dragon believer displayed MUCH better sitting on that stand than it would have velcroed to the wall.

Hopefully these were just things that will be improved on for next year. I for one would love to see this develop into an annual deal that draws the best builders out there.
MACONE
Posted 2/14/2012 4:27 AM (#538612 - in reply to #529320)

I agree because I was there, I fell for it hook line and sinker, I think it turned into more of an popularity contest
then a fair competition, and here is the reason why I say that, I work for a very large company and very well know, and we have a United Way car show fund raiser every year at work there are employees here who have 80k wrapped up in there show cars, and then there are employees who bring a motorized bar stool they place an empty can in front of the vehicles or bikes and all the employees get to vote on the cars or bikes they like by placing a dollar in the can and I have seen it over and over the person that campaigns the hardest or has the most friends or is really popular win the event that motorized bar stool has won the car show the last two year in arrow.
jbreivogel
Posted 2/14/2012 8:10 AM (#538628 - in reply to #529320)
Subject: RE: Basement Baits World Championship, Submit Your Lure!

Sorry for being late, here are the winners. I do not have the votes for each due to giving the paperwork (which the information was written) to the winners of the auction, also is to the limited helpers. As for the total number of votes I would say there was about 600. Thanks again for all of your support this year, and please email me with any suggestions for next year.
2012 Musky Lure Building Championship Winners

First Place Amateur/Topwater, Phil Urbanski
• Entry 002
• Wakemaker
First Place Amateur/Crankbait, Mark Wright
• Entry 006
• Just Wright
First Place Professional/Basement/Crankbait, John Eversoll
• Entry 007
• Betsy Bait
First Place Amateur/Glide/Jerkbait, Ed Kott
• Entry 012
• Muskies For Life 11” Walleye
First Place Manufacturers/Glide/Jerbait, Jeff Prust
• Entry 013
• Musky Chew
First Place Professional/Basement/Glide/Jerkbait, Steve Pray
• Entry 018
• Belly Up Sucker
First Place Manufacturers/Crankbait, Drifter Tackle
• Entry 019
• Slime Dragon 13” Beleiver
First Place Professional/Basement/Topwater, Greg Nimmer
• Entry 020
• The Alpha & Omega

Chicken Dinner
Posted 2/14/2012 8:35 AM (#538634 - in reply to #538628)

Could you please post pictures of each entry?

8 winners when there's only 18 entries seems generous.

I heard John Eversol's minnowbait had the highest vote total of any of the winners, so perhaps you should consider giving a "Best of Show" award on top of the various "Best of Class" winners.
John is one of the most generous and kind people you'd ever want to meet, and makes incredible pieces of art. No smoke and mirrors, just cool. Well-deserved win, John!
Posted 2/14/2012 5:01 PM (#538756 - in reply to #529320)

lets see some pics of the winners baITS
castmaster
Posted 2/14/2012 10:04 PM (#538838 - in reply to #529320)

So Greg Nimmers creeper that was featured up front and center on a motorized and mirrored turntable beat out a Joel Wick creeper velcroed to the wall. Who'd of thunk it!

Any explanation on why you stated pretty clearly on this site, in this thread, that no dispay stands were allowed but then let Mr Nimmer and others use stands? Heck, at least 2 of the 8 winners were baits displayed on stands, right up front on the table instead of on the wall.

Edited by castmaster 2/14/2012 10:07 PM
pepsiboy
Posted 2/21/2012 5:55 AM (#540127 - in reply to #529320)

how about a routered cranks for the 1st place,ok paint job was nice but man it take 5 min do to that.
maybe only lures buiders,must to be judges.

the spinning top water lure was funny,was just missing the gold and diamonds........
Beaver
Posted 2/21/2012 7:08 AM (#540140 - in reply to #540127)

With so few lures, wasn't there plenty of room to group the lures in the catagories they were entered so people could compare apples to apples? With the show breaking attendance records, how many votes were actually cast, I saw a ton of ballots in the garbage. I didn't see the interest that I expected from lure-makers or the public. I stood around that area for a while and heard the comment,"That's it?" several times.
Like I posted elsewhere, why the limit on lures? This is a fundraiser, but you are putting limits on the funds being raised by limiting guys to one lure. I'm sure that Tigger could enter gliders and crankbaits if he was so inclined. And what about the criteria set forth to the builders? Where were the tests conducted for durability and proof that the lure actually functioned as intended? Who is checking the entries? I love the amateur from Ohio who sells hundreds of lures on ebay and even holds a plaque in a picture in his ad, "Vote Ohios Best Lure Maker"
This should be a show and auction, period. Make some funds, not just a little. Let's see a 100 lure auction. Let's see an auction of some of the lures each day.
Next year I am going to make more lures and donating them as prizes at the swap, and I will donate lures for the Veterans Fishing Trip and give them to the veterans or who eve wants to keep them. I'd rather see them full of scratches and memories, things that really make a difference. I bet you'd get more of us basement boys behind giving lures to vets and lures used as door prizes than being restricted as far as what and how many you can make.
No bucktails/ double 10's or rubber. The lures you find in every boat in muskieland but none on display. Why the no-show for those guys? We have a giant soapbox from where we can do lots of good, and the first thing we do is limit the contributions......why? Open the doors and let the flood gates open. Let those who want to enter a box full of lures do as they like, don't limit them.
And while we're at it, lets do something good for The University of Wisconsin fishing team. They get no University help, so lets help them with a fund riser.
Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 3 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)