Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Fishing Reports and Destinations -> Tarpon Fishing near Tampa

Message Subject: Tarpon Fishing near Tampa
PredLuR
Posted 3/7/2012 12:36 PM (#544298)
Subject: Tarpon Fishing near Tampa

Anyone been down to the Tampa/Clearwater region for tarpon fishing. I am heading down there in a few weeks and was wondering if anyone has suggestions on charters, guides, etc that they would recommend. Sounds like it might be early yet for tarpon but might give it a try.
Pepper
Posted 3/7/2012 12:56 PM (#544309 - in reply to #544298)
Subject: Re: Tarpon Fishing near Tampa

I went out with Captain Bill Miller last June he did a good job forus. I caught my 1st tarpoon. His number is 813-363-9927.
Dan
Posted 3/7/2012 6:59 PM (#544416 - in reply to #544298)
Subject: RE: Tarpon Fishing near Tampa

Tarpon fishing is a blast. We usually fish for them in May and have always had good luck. March is a little early for tarpon in that area but you never know. If you hook into a big one your in for the time of your life. I recommend a guide who's boat has a tower. The guides find the fish by sight and there is a huge advantage to catch more fish if you can spot them. Hopefully it will be a fairly calm the day when you go. I will try to find the guide we used last and post it for you.

Dan
4reukmuskies
Posted 3/7/2012 7:20 PM (#544423 - in reply to #544298)

I was just down in the Punta Gorda - Charlotte Harbor area last week and went out with a guide inshore. We had a blast with snook, redfish and some sea trout. I asked him about tarpon and he said that it is too early for him to start targeting them yet, that he starts fishing for them in May. Also, I think its in May and June when the Pro Tarpon Tour has their tourny near Boca Grande. That is definitely a fish on my list that I would love to catch.

Edited by 4reukmuskies 3/7/2012 7:21 PM
Pepper
Posted 3/8/2012 8:14 AM (#544482 - in reply to #544298)

Another Capt you could check out is Capt. Jason Prieto 813-777-9890 I haven't been out with him but I get his news letter so I must have contacted him at one time or another His latest news letter had a discount code SUMMER_ABC
PeonPETA
Posted 3/8/2012 7:11 PM (#544706 - in reply to #544298)

Tarpon should be around, I'm in Naples and we've had tarpon around for 2 weeks now. They are a month early and as long as the water keeps its warming trend the tarpon will be up that way by early April. If not just head a little south for a day trip! Jon Sebold runs out of Marco Island and specializes in casting artificials. Ben Olson is down here somewhere, I think I saw his pathfinder last week. As far as I know Ben is guiding tarpon right now. If you go to floridasportsman dot com you should find plenty of guide recommendations and updated reports! Good Luck tarpon are a blast!
PeonPETA
Posted 3/12/2012 6:15 PM (#545573 - in reply to #544298)
Subject: RE: Tarpon Fishing near Tampa

The tarpon are thick right now head south if necessary! This one is from yesterday.

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(IMG952802.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments IMG952802.jpg (70KB - 141 downloads)
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)