Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Muskie Boats and Motors -> NEW GPS!

Reply New post
Message Subject: NEW GPS!
gmanny1
Posted 5/8/2011 7:10 PM (#497427)
Subject: NEW GPS!

Hi all.I.m purchasing a new Lund Predator and need a GPS,spending around 1200.00.Any reccomendatons on a certain brand .I.m looking for user friendly as i,m not a techno guy.Also have a new Terrova with I-pilot on the front bow.Any thoughts for locator up front.Thanks Manny
Captain
Posted 5/9/2011 8:23 AM (#497520 - in reply to #497427)
Subject: RE: NEW GPS!

Well, I would get and Lowrance HDS 7 (for around $1000) for the console and then a HDS 5 for the bow. Then get the network cable to connect the two so you can share waypoints and such between them. Its just plug and play. Works awesome.

I havent used a Hummingbird, but I am sure they are nice, but Lowrance has been in my boats for years and that is what I went with.

The other nice thing is if you go with Structure scan if you network the two units you can share that data between the units so you dont have to buy it for both of them. Pretty slick.

I didnt get that on mine yet, but I will for next year probably.
lambeau
Posted 5/9/2011 8:29 AM (#497524 - in reply to #497427)

if you plan to keep the units for a few years, it's worth considering that MinnKota and Humminbird are owned by the same company. there's lots of talk about the potential for future connectivity between them along the lines of the iPilot running tracks entered into the Humminbird...
jwelch
Posted 5/9/2011 9:46 PM (#497630 - in reply to #497427)

I would go with the hds-7 also. I have a 10 on the console and a 7 up front and I am very happy with both.

Jeremy
gmanny1
Posted 5/9/2011 9:57 PM (#497634 - in reply to #497520)

Thanks for the info,do i have to run a cord between the two units ? Do you know if lakemaster and stored info can simaltainesly be seen? Thanks Manny
jeff anderson
Posted 5/10/2011 6:16 AM (#497654 - in reply to #497427)

waypoints can be shared or viewed on both units. Mapping chips can only be viewed per each unit. If you have two units and want mapping data on both units it is necessary to buy two mapping chips.
Captain
Posted 5/10/2011 8:06 AM (#497668 - in reply to #497634)

gmanny1 - 5/9/2011 9:57 PM

Thanks for the info,do i have to run a cord between the two units ? Do you know if lakemaster and stored info can simaltainesly be seen? Thanks Manny

Yes, you will need to run a network (ethernet) cord between the two units. It is pretty simple to do, hardest part is routing it otherwise its just plug it in on both ends.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Reply New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)