Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Abu 2 speed reels

Message Subject: Abu 2 speed reels
DA Kid
Posted 9/18/2007 1:30 PM (#275503)
Subject: Abu 2 speed reels

Hey all, I had a friend give me two Abu reels, a 6500 & 5500c3 2 speed reel with autoshift. All I can find on them is they were made in the early 90's. I was wondering how they would be for an all around reel for muskie fishing,and can parts still be found if any repairs are needed?
Posted 9/18/2007 2:21 PM (#275511 - in reply to #275503)
Subject: RE: Abu 2 speed reels

call abu at 1-800-228-4272
I took one in for repair a few years ago and they totally replaced it with a different reel. Don't know if they still do that or not.
DA Kid
Posted 9/18/2007 2:38 PM (#275515 - in reply to #275503)
Subject: Re: Abu 2 speed reels

Thanks for the #. There is nothing wrong with these 2, I was gonna get a couple new rods and stick them on to use. I was just looking to the future if any repairs were needed. I didn't know how the 2 speed gearing and stuff differed from regular Abu reels.
hodaghawg
Posted 9/18/2007 4:18 PM (#275537 - in reply to #275503)

I bought a used one this spring. It quit working correctly so I called Chuck at Sportmans Repair. What he told me is that they are great reels and the transfer gear goes out. They are a little pricey, but worth fixing because they are good reels. I think to fix that reel was about $40.

He explained the theory behind the 2 speed. It gives you a high speed retrieve (6.1 I think) but when you get a fish on it down shifts to give more power, like an automatic tranny in a car. Then if the fish makes a run at you it goes high speed again to pick up the slack.

The autoshift dial tunes in at what resistance you want the reel to downshift.

After getting it fixed I have liked it, just need to catch a fish on it!
DA Kid
Posted 9/18/2007 4:39 PM (#275538 - in reply to #275503)

Thanks Hawg! Thats the kind of info I was lookig for. Anyone else have any opinions on these reels?
needa70lber
Posted 9/18/2007 4:42 PM (#275539 - in reply to #275537)

I have and use a 2 speed 6500 dark red in color. The dial on the handle is only used for changing the speed of the spool. either high 6 to 1 or slow at 4 to 1 ratios. I use the low speed for trolling or casting cowgirls, dc 10s and shumway giant flasher. The high speed setting doesn't feel right for modern day musky angling may for big gliders but I just keep the setting on low speed. the dial would be very difficult to turn when fighting a fish it was designed for multiple applications for casting different style baits or trolling.
hodaghawg
Posted 9/18/2007 5:45 PM (#275552 - in reply to #275503)

The dial is for the tension at which the the reel transfers down. if you have it loosened all the way it probably "slips" enough that the reel only cranks in 3.8 to 1. If you wind it tight the other way, you can crank cowgirls at 6.1 to 1 although it is a workout. I like the reel best for burning spinner baits and smaller bucktails. Anywhere in the middle and it will slip at that given resistance.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)