Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Fishing Reports and Destinations -> Chicagan Lake in MI. UP

Message Subject: Chicagan Lake in MI. UP
reelman
Posted 3/12/2007 8:20 PM (#244336)
Subject: Chicagan Lake in MI. UP

I have a bug up my butt to fish this lake this year as it looks VERY deep and VERY clear. Should be just the lake to play around trying some trolling.

Does anybody know anything about this lake? I am not looking for any secret spots or anything, just some general information such as campgrounds or cheaper resorts on the lake.

Either post here or PM me.
Mikes Extreme
Posted 3/12/2007 9:19 PM (#244355 - in reply to #244336)
Subject: RE: Chicagan Lake in MI. UP

Reelman, I fished this lake one night after fishing lake Emly during the day hours. We trolled structure and scored a very big walleye.

Great structure to fish and tons of open water forage. I have only fish it once and it was very impressive looking. I believe it has everything going for it. I will be back. There is a lot of great lakes up that way. We were the only boat on the lake that Saturday in May. We worked the 12 to 15ft depths trying to keep close to the weeds.

Good luck, I am sure your going to like it.
UPMuskyr
Posted 3/13/2007 7:59 AM (#244407 - in reply to #244336)
Subject: Re: Chicagan Lake in MI. UP

Hi Reelman, Chicaugon is a great lake early in the year, late in the year, or night fishing. once the water warms up enough for the skiers and jet ski's forget about it. It is gin clear water seeing down to almost 20ft is possible. It has a very nice campground (great hosts) but usually is pretty much booked for summer weekends, it's owned by Iron Co. and is called Pentoga Park,it has a nice beach and play area for the kids, There is also a Michigan State Park located a short distance away called Bewabic State Park they usually have sites available all year....Randy...if you want more info PM me
reelman
Posted 3/13/2007 12:47 PM (#244494 - in reply to #244336)

I looked up the Pentoga Park on the internet and that is where I was thinking of staying if I couldn't find a reasonable resort to stay at on the lake.

You mention there are more musky lakes in the area, do you mind sharing the names of them? Agai, not looking for your hot spot just want to do a bit more fishing in the UP this year and it would always be nice to have a backup lake or 2 to go to incase something is up with Chicagan. Feel free to PM me if you don't want the info out in the public.

Thanks for the advice!!!
MuskyStalker
Posted 3/13/2007 1:30 PM (#244505 - in reply to #244336)

I raised a real slob on Chicagon in October. This lake has big fish potential.
Ranger
Posted 3/13/2007 2:29 PM (#244534 - in reply to #244336)

I've fished Chicagon a few times. As stated above, gin clear, etc. I think it's a big fish lake and not a numbers lake. It's a "two-story lake", with both deep/cold and not-so-deep/warmer areas. (So, think Ciscos.) It's remarkably deep in spots, up to 115'. My first approach would be to troll troll troll and rake structure. I would prefer to fish it at night. The lake gets some pretty serious rollers when the wind comes up.

If you have a chance, talk with Lance Lucky, Lucky's Sport Shop on Highway 2 just outside Iron River, 906-265-0151. That dude knows his muskies and Chicagon is his main lake. He will order you BIG suckers, too, if you call ahead.

Try to avoid being in the Yoop during black fly season!
Loves chi lake
Posted 3/26/2007 12:25 PM (#247244 - in reply to #244336)
Subject: RE: Chicagan Lake in MI. UP

Hi all,

I don't know if you guys are interested in a little history of musky in Chicaguan lake. I hope you are because here I go. I've been fishing Chicaguan Lake my entire life. My Dad bought a cabin on the lake in 1948. The lake had no muskies in it until the late 60s or very early 70s. They were planted by the Michigan DNR sometime in that span of time. My cousin caught a musky in the 20 lb. range around 1974 or so. It was at this time that my Dad became focused on musky fishing. He would average aproximately 20 - 30 fish each fall. The largest fish weighing approximately 23 lbs. (if my memory serves). The high point of musky fishing on this lake came in the late 70s and early 80s. I landed my largest fish in that time (29 lbs) when I was 18 years old. The early 80s brought a disaster to this lake's musky fishing. Many of the local residents complained about muskies, thinking that they were getting into the local trout streams and decimating the trout population. This group put pressure on the DNR to allow the spearing of muskies through the ice. The DNR did grant their wish for a number of years in the 80s. Spearing seemed to drastically reduce the numbers of fish. Muskies seem to be increasing in number recently. In fact, I hooked a very large fish while trolling at dusk last summer. The fish broke my line (15 lb. test) after about a 1/2 hour or so (it was like bear hunting with a .22). Still, it is not nearly as good as it was in the 70s for muskies.
The deepest spot I have hit with my hummin' bird is 118'. Pentoga Park is a nice place to camp. Anyway, I hope this info is helpful in some way.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)