Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Fishing Reports and Destinations -> Little Saint Germain Lake Advice

Message Subject: Little Saint Germain Lake Advice
Fishhawk8
Posted 7/18/2024 4:16 PM (#1029857)
Subject: Little Saint Germain Lake Advice

Hi all- I have had the pleasure of owning a cabin on Little Saint Germain for 4 years now. Love the lake and the whole surrounding area! Typically we have just targeted panfish and bass however recently my 13 year old son expressed interest in throwing for Musky. We went to the local bait shop and got set up with a few different lures and dusted off our heaviest equipment not thinking we would have much luck but we got two fish to follow a buck tail back to the boat on consecutive evenings in West Bay right off Langs Bar. The second night it looked like it tried to strike but perhaps it just wasn’t fully committed because it missed but gave us quite a show in the mean time as it came partially out of the water and made a large splash. Needless to say we now have the itch to get a Musky in the boat. I know it’s probably not the best water to catch Musky but with our cabin on this lake it’s certainly the most convenient and we can access the water anytime of day at ease. Just curious if anyone on the forum has experience fishing this lake and would be willing to share any tips for hooking into a Musky on this lake? Spots, lures, times of day, times of year, anything that could help us because we are flying a little blind at the moment. Thanks in advance!

Edited by Fishhawk8 7/18/2024 4:17 PM
TCESOX
Posted 7/18/2024 5:55 PM (#1029860 - in reply to #1029857)
Subject: Re: Little Saint Germain Lake Advice

Others will chime in with good advice, and some more specific to the lake, but one universal is that if you are getting follows, make sure you are doing quality figure 8s, and you will eventually get bit.
Fishhawk8
Posted 7/19/2024 1:49 PM (#1029870 - in reply to #1029860)

Thank you! We have been working on the figure eights. That is how he got the second fish to strike. We are considering hiring a guide to learn the basics from a pro.
TCESOX
Posted 7/19/2024 5:15 PM (#1029873 - in reply to #1029870)

Fishhawk8 - 7/19/2024 1:49 PM

Thank you! We have been working on the figure eights. That is how he got the second fish to strike. We are considering hiring a guide to learn the basics from a pro.

Best money you can spend. Make sure the guide knows you want to learn and ask a lot of questions.
chuckski
Posted 7/19/2024 5:31 PM (#1029874 - in reply to #1029857)

It's a premier Lake and those fish get pounded. And lots of pleasure boats too.
TheShow
Posted 7/24/2024 2:06 PM (#1029957 - in reply to #1029874)

Good numbers in there of both quantity and quality. Owning a cabin on the lake you may have figured this out already but Little St Germain is the most pressured body of water in all of Vilas County. When I was working with some creel guys from the DNR, Little Saint was determined to have the highest man hours fished per acre of any lake in the county. That doesn't break down which species these anglers were targeting. Long story short - lots of fishing pressure and lots of recreational boaters too.

For this reason I only fish there weekdays after Labor Day. I like the weeds in both West Bay and the far East side. Had some luck in the narrows but not a ton... I'm sure fish slide in and out of there to feed. Weeds and the breaks are always a good place to start.
ToddM
Posted 7/24/2024 6:20 PM (#1029968 - in reply to #1029857)

I've stayed at Ken Jackson's place a few times but fished other places. Ken is also a guide, hire him no one knows the lake better than him.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)