Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: We're going to need a bigger Boat'
- (Added by: cast4musky)

Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

More Muskie Fishing -> Basement Baits and Custom Lure Painting -> Swimbait bucktail ever?

Message Subject: Swimbait bucktail ever?
7.62xJay
Posted 6/6/2024 5:57 PM (#1028935)
Subject: Swimbait bucktail ever?

The bass world offers endless options of swimbaits in our caliber of size. If you throw a large Vibe blade on the front you get one heck of an injured bait fish presentation that works great.

Anybody ever try inlineing a large swimbait for straight retrieve? Like a Mepps Comet minno basically. There's no reason in my mind that it won't work, but nobody makes it,which has me pondering it's effectiveness.
Any of you guys ever play with the concept? If so what are/were your results? When and why were you finding that that presentation was better vs. a traditional skirted bucktail or a traditional swimbait?
miket55
Posted 6/6/2024 6:35 PM (#1028936 - in reply to #1028935)
Subject: Re: Swimbait bucktail ever?

Llungen makes both inline, and spinnerbait rigs you can clip a bulldawg, large tube or whatever onto.. I believe TRO sells them.

There's also the Suick "Curly Spin" out there..

Edited by miket55 6/6/2024 6:38 PM
7.62xJay
Posted 6/6/2024 9:51 PM (#1028938 - in reply to #1028935)

Thank you and yeah I got em both. Spent a fair amount of time with Curly Spin and nothing to show for it. Not giving up on it but it's been benched for awhile.
My Llungen double 8? I think. Has bounced around just playing with it over the past years, nothing dedicated or serious. But I have yet to try it in the application im asking about though. I know the Musky Shop has their own attachments and Whale tail did/does contract someone to make large willow attachments and I've had good look with that combo on the small whale tail.
Just wanting to hear others experiences with the concept.

In specific I'm thinking of a single blade to an owner 12/0 weighted hook as to which any 6-8" hollowbody/split belly paddletail swimbait can attached for either burning or slow rolling.
miket55
Posted 6/6/2024 10:59 PM (#1028939 - in reply to #1028935)

I'm not too crazy about the single hook thing.. A good number of fish I've managed to land on a single hook tended to be hooked in the lower jaw, uncomfortably close to the throat latch..

BTW... Llungen also has #9 blades.... or you can build your own for about 30% of a retail contraption.

7.62xJay
Posted 6/6/2024 11:52 PM (#1028940 - in reply to #1028935)

Running ewg swimbaits all mine have been upper jaw, have yet to have a deep hook. Not saying a dangerous hookup isn't possible. Just my experience.
ToddM
Posted 6/8/2024 4:41 AM (#1028959 - in reply to #1028935)

Mepps used to make a paddle tail musky spinner. I have made them before and they do work well, I made them to have two treble hooks. The only issue with the design is when the paddle tail is done so is the bait.
muskynut18
Posted 9/3/2024 12:57 PM (#1030637 - in reply to #1028935)
Subject: RE: Swimbait bucktail ever?

Hi,
A buddy and I put together an inline spinner (bucktail) with either a grub style curly tail or a shad style paddle tail. We've fine tuned them over the last few years, and they work great on the local Utah tiger muskies. I can't vouch for them on pure strains, but I don't see why they wouldn't work. They're also quite weedless. Not 100% so, but very effective in weeds.
They're easy to make too..... just the front end of a Mepps Musky marabou or similar "jointed" bucktail, not the straight through wire type. Attach a split ring to it, and then your brand choice of extra wide gap weighted swimbait (single) hook with keeper. I also add a bass jig skirt in front of the split ring on the lower eye portion of the bucktail for extra flash and movement. If using a shad tail, rig it flat (horizontal), not vertical like one would traditionally rig a swimbait.
I've started making my own bucktail sections so I can experiment with different sizes and blade styles. Believe it or not, my most productive size is a #6 blade, 6" bait, but a #8 works well too. Keep in mind that the tiger muskies don't get as big as the pure strains, and the bait in all of our reservoirs averages about 6". However, I have made several much larger baits using a #10 or #12 blade, a musky size skirt, and a large Kalins curly tail or for a much bigger bait, an AA Worms 9" shad tail. I'd post a pic, but I don't know how.
With only one hook the hook-up rate isn't as good as I'd like, but I still catch plenty of fish. For non weedy areas you could probably rig a single treble hook on it, but for where I fish it, there's no way I'm getting a treble through those weeds. HTH, Fred K in Utah.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)