Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 3 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Minnesota Law only allowing one rod!

Message Subject: Minnesota Law only allowing one rod!
sworrall
Posted 11/4/2012 9:13 AM (#595908 - in reply to #595396)
Subject: Re: Minnesota Law only allowing one rod!

Ja Rule - 11/1/2012 7:50 PM

sworrall - 11/1/2012 7:10 PM
OK, everyone, remember that next time anyone from any State asks for your support to stop, change, or create fisheries based law.

No disrespect intended, Just sayin'...

That's quite an overreaction to a harmless (and true in this instance) statement now isn't it?

No.

The MN muskie guys have a tough time with the legislature over there deciding what's best for the fishery sometimes completely ignoring the folks who are paid to determine that. We see regular requests to make sure the law makers and DNR hear from this community in an attempt to sideline or eliminate a new reg that threatens or at least looks like it threatens the muskie and trophy pike fishery over there, or a request to expand the fishery in MN.

Then we see comments, sometimes from the very same folks who have asked for our help, that we as a community (posting to an internet message board...hmmm) are largely irrelevant to their fishery, and it's not all that uncommon a theme, actually.

DNRs across the range are aware of discussions like this one; they have computers too.

As I said..

Just sayin'.
killroy
Posted 11/4/2012 10:29 PM (#596034 - in reply to #594111)

Alright, I don't really understand this one. One rod only? I live in Kentucky. We have amazing crappie fisheries (people travel from all over to fish here even though it is not often advertised as a monster crappie state). We have, arguably the best smallmouth lake in the entire world, the best Muskie lake in the south, green river lake (an awesome Muskie fishery), the best trout fishery east of the Mississippi and south of the Ohio. We have one of the premier tournament bass lakes in the nation. THERE IS NO ROD LIMIT.
We have agressive promoters of CPR for Muskie and big bass. These fisheries are only getting better. Size limits have a much greater effect on the quality of panfish, bass, and walleye fisheries than a rod limit. You would think ten crappie rods on a spider rig would have a big impact on catch rates. IT DOES. But KY Initiated a ten inch size limit and a 15 fish limit on KY Lake. What happened is the fish have to get big before they are kept. Amazing, quality fishery. People drive six hours every year to crappie fish.
I understand the biggest concern of this forum is the Muskie population. Here in KY we have no problem maintaining a quality fishery. But, y'all have many, many more fish. Y'all have cooler water, which, I assume, is a lot better with preventing delayed mortality. Does an extra rod double the chance of a Muskie being caught? No. Not everyone is even going to do it. From what I have seen, a quickset is less likely to gill hook than an easily inhaled swimbait. I just don't understand the reasoning behind the one rod vs. two rod debate. I don't see how trolling is worth the hassle with one rod. I would rather cast anyway.
Oh, and we don't have seasons either. That one puzzles me.
Tight lines,

Killroy
DS
Posted 11/6/2012 9:10 PM (#596414 - in reply to #594111)
Subject: RE: Minnesota Law only allowing one rod!

Sell licenses for 2 lines at double the cost (or more), eliminate any possession for people who buy those licenses (catch and release only). This would have very minimal impact on existing fish populations and the extra $ from the licenses can be used for stocking to make our fisheries even stronger. Problem solved. Have a good night all.

Top H2O
Posted 11/6/2012 9:42 PM (#596418 - in reply to #596414)

Have a good night indeed ~!........ I like your thinking .

Jerome
Muskie Treats
Posted 11/7/2012 12:26 AM (#596437 - in reply to #596414)

DS - 11/6/2012 7:10 PM

Sell licenses for 2 lines at double the cost (or more), eliminate any possession for people who buy those licenses (catch and release only). This would have very minimal impact on existing fish populations and the extra $ from the licenses can be used for stocking to make our fisheries even stronger. Problem solved. Have a good night all.

So with the increase in lines there wouldn't be any additional fish caught? I doubt it. It's math that the more fish caught the more will die from delayed mortality, even more-so with the use of live bait which would be the point of the whole argument.

A. The DNR won't stock more muskies then they currently are no matter how much money they bring in. Trust me, I've tried.

B. It takes 15-25 years to get fish to 50+". If these fish are dying at a faster rate then there will be fewer of them to catch and everyone suffers with a lesser fishery.

Sorry guys, but sometimes less is more.

palerider
Posted 11/7/2012 11:42 AM (#596528 - in reply to #594111)

Hey treats, is delayed mortality the only argument against this?
happy hooker
Posted 11/7/2012 7:25 PM (#596691 - in reply to #596528)

Well Minnesota went Democratic last nite again,,

In fact,,weve been accused many times on this site of being a state of liberals but alot of the visitors seem to want to liberalize our Muskie fisherie??

2 lines
latest openner in the U.S and thats not popular
and I cant forget the author who wrote in a national pub in the 90s,"Minnesotas policy of stocking one fish per acre assures it will never be a destination for the serious muskie angler"
everything we do is stupid and dumb and backwards,,, but yet everybody wants to come here

it works,,,
and no its not because of all the BIG water,,we have 50 inch fish coming from inner city park lakes that yuppies walk their poodles around "check the recent George Wahl tourney results" and the metro tourney history
the current state record tiger came out of a 180 acre lake,the former out of a 400 acre lake.

its working jut fine,,,,

Edited by happy hooker 11/7/2012 7:39 PM
Treats Unplugged
Posted 11/8/2012 7:54 AM (#596763 - in reply to #596528)

Delayed mortality and increased harvest on walleye and panfish are the 2 main sticking points on it Pale.
Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 3 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)