Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 3 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> FFS Poll - What Is Your Stance?

FFS Poll - What Is Your Stance?
OptionResults
FFS Is A Tool Like 2D sonar/SI/Downscan - Should be unrestricted access/Use16 Votes - [12.9%]
FFS is Fine: sharp shooting is bad as are other unethical uses.52 Votes - [41.94%]
FFS Should be banned56 Votes - [45.16%]

Message Subject: FFS Poll - What Is Your Stance?
dbach17
Posted 8/14/2024 10:24 AM (#1030266 - in reply to #1029430)
Subject: RE: FFS Poll - What Is Your Stance?

Thank you Tommy, yes, that's exactly what I meant. We'd be casting in anywhere from 12 - 18 feet of water and then you have a rock reef pop up that is a foot below the surface and when the waves are rocking you can't really see the water disturbance.

So there were times where I'd get 20 feet from one and be able to veer off and move around it. I would even say that helped us get one of the nice fish we caught, because I could stay off the rock and actually cast towards it instead.

As for being "rich", sure, I guess. But I'll easily put a $1K investment into a fiberglass boat that costs around $100K or more in order to preserve the motor, hull, etc. I just got the Garmin Kraken trolling motor. You think I want to run that into a rock and break the shaft on something that costs $4K? Or ruin the $500 transducer on the bottom of it immediately?

I invite anyone to come fish with me to see how I use LiveScope. Because I'm not purposely scanning for fish or following a fish. It's to maintain precise boat control. That's why I have it mounted directly on the trolling motor. So while I'm moving, I can't just turn it around and search for fish, it's pointed the same way the motor is. And that allows me to stay on/off weed lines, rock reefs, etc.

As I've said, the other way is when I'm trolling. It's fantastic for finding precise depth curves for baits. And then staying on/off structure/cover elements. I guess I'm resigned to the fact that people find this objectionable. It helps me catch a few more fish, so I guess I'm hurting the fishery. I get to fish between 20-40 times in a good year. Once in a while, I like to catch a fish, and this helps me be better at that.
Kirby Budrow
Posted 8/15/2024 8:16 AM (#1030286 - in reply to #1030263)
Subject: Re: FFS Poll - What Is Your Stance?

CincySkeez - 8/14/2024 9:05 AM

Not a typo, that was also almost 5 years ago before the tech had really improved. I will clarify that the transducer and housing comprised that 70k. Was a really robust module that would telescope out of the hull and then retract back in when not in use. Things designed for yacht's and the environments they inhabit tend to be robust and quite expensive.

The guide I had down in Destin FL told me his transducer was 20k. 70 wouldn't surprise me.
North of 8
Posted 8/15/2024 9:21 AM (#1030288 - in reply to #1030263)
Subject: Re: FFS Poll - What Is Your Stance?

CincySkeez - 8/14/2024 9:05 AM

Not a typo, that was also almost 5 years ago before the tech had really improved. I will clarify that the transducer and housing comprised that 70k. Was a really robust module that would telescope out of the hull and then retract back in when not in use. Things designed for yacht's and the environments they inhabit tend to be robust and quite expensive.

Thanks for the response. That is quite a chunk of change but then, I am sure it is a low volume production and that always will cost a lot more than common items like fishermen FFS.
Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 3 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)