Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Why do right handed people use right-hand crank reels?

Message Subject: Why do right handed people use right-hand crank reels?
sledge51
Posted 7/16/2013 10:12 AM (#651898 - in reply to #651893)
Subject: Re: Why do right handed people use right-hand crank reels?

Why does it matter? Do what your comfortable with!
Ja Rule
Posted 7/16/2013 11:21 AM (#651914 - in reply to #651883)

ulbian - 7/16/2013 9:08 AM

The head scratcher is the guy who uses a spinning reel cranking with the left but feels awkward if you switch the handle to the right. Then picks up a baitcaster with a left crank on it and feels awkward cranking with that but is very comfortable with a right crank model.

That's me. When it comes down to it there is no right or wrong, whatever feels best for you is going to be the best choice.
FAT-SKI
Posted 7/16/2013 4:04 PM (#651969 - in reply to #651881)

Will Schultz - 7/16/2013 8:57 AM

Why right? It's just logical. If your dominant hand is right it will have better coordination and should be the hand you use to spin the handle because it can do it faster. Some old fly guy taught me this years ago, funny... his name is Lefty.

---
I disagree with this completely. If your right arm is the dominante one, and has the most amount of coordination, I think the rod should be in your right arm. You have more control over your baits, position, twitching or jerking ability and have more control over your rod, and thus the fish.

For expample, I can work gliders like a dream all day long with the rod in my right arm (dominante) and the reel handle in my left hand (weaker). If you tried to have me switch to the opposite hand for the rod and the reel and asked me to use the same glider I was just using. it would sink to the bottom from lack of movement and coordination. If your right arm is the dominante arm, I think that is where the rod should be, since the rod is where you get your control.
andreula
Posted 7/16/2013 4:27 PM (#651975 - in reply to #651673)

x2 ulbian... Not to steal the thread but another observation I had with buddys was I will hold the fishes head with my left hand and support with the right hand. I am right handed but reel lefty... Most rightys I know reel right and hold a fishes head with their right hand as well. Anybody else?
jjmuskie
Posted 7/16/2013 4:50 PM (#651979 - in reply to #651673)

Its just the way I started. Cast right handed and switch hands during the cast. Its so normal to me that a left crank bait caster feels awkward. Now a spinning reel on the other hand has to have a left hand crank. Just the way I was taught I guess.
Will Schultz
Posted 7/17/2013 1:32 AM (#652049 - in reply to #651883)

ulbian - 7/16/2013 10:08 AM
Will Schultz - 7/16/2013 9:57 AM Why right? It's just logical. If your dominant hand is right it will have better coordination and should be the hand you use to spin the handle because it can do it faster. Some old fly guy taught me this years ago, funny... his name is Lefty.
Counterpoint.... My dominant hand is the right. More power on hooksets and using your coordination example, better coordination for finessing baits around cover or at boatside. When I use a right cranking reel (cranking with dominant hand) it's incredibly awkward. Simply saying "it's just logical" is flawed. The head scratcher is the guy who uses a spinning reel cranking with the left but feels awkward if you switch the handle to the right. Then picks up a baitcaster with a left crank on it and feels awkward cranking with that but is very comfortable with a right crank model. First spinning reel I ever used had the crank on the left. I got so used to it being on that side that when I purchased my first baitcaster the crank had to be on the left after trying to use one with the crank on the right. The added bonus of casting and holding the rod with my right hand is that it keeps that arm and wrist in shape for bowling season.

I just answered the original question;

So tell me, fellow righties, why do you hold the rod with your left hand?

and didn't say you or anyone else was wrong for doing it their way. 

Will Schultz
Posted 7/17/2013 1:39 AM (#652051 - in reply to #651969)

FAT-SKI - 7/16/2013 5:04 PM
Will Schultz - 7/16/2013 8:57 AM Why right? It's just logical. If your dominant hand is right it will have better coordination and should be the hand you use to spin the handle because it can do it faster. Some old fly guy taught me this years ago, funny... his name is Lefty.
--- I disagree with this completely. If your right arm is the dominante one, and has the most amount of coordination, I think the rod should be in your right arm. You have more control over your baits, position, twitching or jerking ability and have more control over your rod, and thus the fish. For expample, I can work gliders like a dream all day long with the rod in my right arm (dominante) and the reel handle in my left hand (weaker). If you tried to have me switch to the opposite hand for the rod and the reel and asked me to use the same glider I was just using. it would sink to the bottom from lack of movement and coordination. If your right arm is the dominante arm, I think that is where the rod should be, since the rod is where you get your control.

Guess I'm just lucky that I'm comfortable reeling or holding the rod with either hand. My hooksets are better with the rod in my left after doing it that way for thirty some years. So as mentioned by others, whatever is most comfortable is best.

Kingfisher
Posted 7/17/2013 5:31 AM (#652054 - in reply to #651673)

I trout fish and pan fish with trigger spin or open face reels and the crank is on the left side so I hold the rod in right hand. When using a bait caster the reel is on the top of the rod and for some reason I prefer it in my left hand. So I cast with my right hand and transfer the rod to my left even before the lure hits the water. I set the hook with both hands, my body actually. Watch Joe Bucher set the hook. His arms dont have much to do with it at all. Its your back and upper body pivoting that really drives the hooks home. So I must be really weird as I cast with my right hand and reel with my right hand. Mike
Posted 7/17/2013 8:15 AM (#652081 - in reply to #651673)
Subject: RE: Why do right handed people use right-hand crank reels?

I switch back and forth between right and left handed reels with ease. For the right hand reel guys it doesn't take that long to learn to use a left handed reel, just don't start out with a heavy bait, a small bucktail or topwater is a great way to start. I have found that some baits I prefer to work with a right handed reel and some I prefer a left handed reel. For me it is all about fatigue and comfort.

The second thing that I have noticed is that most right handed reel casters prefer to fish off the port side of their boats. This gives the right hand reel an advantage on hooksets as they can set accross their bodies. I slighty prefer the starboard side with my left handed reels. I have a designated rod I use for casting big rubber baits off the portside and that is a right handed reel. The rod I use for casting big rubber of the starboard side has a left handed reel. I feel this way I get a better hookset as I set accross my body.

Lastly, the big advantage of learning to use both right and left handed reels is wear and tear on the body as well as fatigue. Carpal tunnel, wear on wrists, shoulders and etc... make learning to use both hands an advantage. If a hard core fishing person can learn to switch back and forth the chances of them getting the mentioned injuries over a lifetime will be lessoned. It was an initial injury and fatigue to my left wrist that forced my to learn to use both right and left handed reels. Now I have about half right handed and half left handed. I have a lot less fatigue on a long day than my right only fishing friends.

Ralidan
Posted 7/17/2013 6:00 PM (#652281 - in reply to #651898)

sledge51 - 7/16/2013 10:12 AM

OK, I did not know that in the early days, it was on the right because of the threading of the nut/bolt.. that makes sense.

However.. the reason it matters is that some reels, *cough, cough* the Tranx, are only available in Right-Hand crank.

Why?

Because Shimano wants to target the 90% of people who are Right-Handed when they make a new reel and not waste time/money designing a "left handed" model if it isn't going to be successful, right?

Well.. From reading this thread, it sure seems like the -ONLY- reason any right-handed person cranks with their right hand is because "it's always the way I've done it" or "that's how I was taught". But nobody can give me a logical reason why (other than the old reels need because of the threading on the handle bolt)

tl;dr IT'S TIME TO START A REVOLUTION. MAKE BAITCASTERS MAKE SENSE.

/thread.
muskie! nut
Posted 7/17/2013 6:52 PM (#652299 - in reply to #651673)

Like I said very few left handers are not buying the left handed reels. So its mostly righted handed guys that say, "well my spinning rod crank is on the right side, why don't I buy a baitcaster with a crank on that side as well?"
jaycbs
Posted 7/17/2013 8:27 PM (#652317 - in reply to #652281)

Ralidan - 7/17/2013 6:00 PM

OK, I did not know that in the early days, it was on the right because of the threading of the nut/bolt.. that makes sense.

However.. the reason it matters is that some reels, *cough, cough* the Tranx, are only available in Right-Hand crank.

Why?

Because Shimano wants to target the 90% of people who are Right-Handed when they make a new reel and not waste time/money designing a "left handed" model if it isn't going to be successful, right?

Well.. From reading this thread, it sure seems like the -ONLY- reason any right-handed person cranks with their right hand is because "it's always the way I've done it" or "that's how I was taught". But nobody can give me a logical reason why (other than the old reels need because of the threading on the handle bolt)

tl;dr IT'S TIME TO START A REVOLUTION. MAKE BAITCASTERS MAKE SENSE.

/thread.

I think you answered you own question. Lefties use right hand reels because it's natural form and no switch, cast with your dominant arm. Righties use right hand reels because that is what is most available and how they learned. Lot's of variations of the two and all work and its your own style. However when the majority of both left and right hand people use the same right hand reel why make a left hand reel? There just isn't enough demand to warrant the production. I feel for you all because you have the right idea cast from your right (dominant shoulder) and reel with your left. Sorry to ramble I had some beers
Posted 7/17/2013 10:24 PM (#652343 - in reply to #651898)

no because some rare right handed guys still thinking it's hard to switch from a right handed reel to a lefty.usually it take less than 2 days to feel comfortable,and the gain worth it,the gain are just gigantic.once the switch is made you will lose less fish and you will never look back
muskie! nut
Posted 7/18/2013 8:26 AM (#652392 - in reply to #651673)

I enjoyed several conversations about this subject with my muskie buddies. They went something like this.
Him: You left handed?
Me: No, I don't switch hands. Why do you crank with your right hand?
Him: I can't do it the other way
Me: What side is your spinning reel on?
Him (after a long pause to think this out) left side
Me: I thought you just told me you couldn't do it that way?
Him: But the reel is on the bottom.
Me: So............
gregk9
Posted 7/18/2013 11:10 PM (#652556 - in reply to #651673)

I like my more coordinated hand (right) to be the cranking hand. That's my logical reason why.
muskie! nut
Posted 7/19/2013 7:21 AM (#652588 - in reply to #652556)

gregk9 - 7/18/2013 11:10 PM
I like my more coordinated hand (right) to be the cranking hand. That's my logical reason why.

How much coordination does it take to turn the handle? Let's put it this way, wouldn't it be far better use of that coordination to get better action off your lures so you get more strikes?
Will Schultz
Posted 7/19/2013 11:21 AM (#652623 - in reply to #652588)

muskie! nut - 7/19/2013 8:21 AM
gregk9 - 7/18/2013 11:10 PM I like my more coordinated hand (right) to be the cranking hand. That's my logical reason why.
How much coordination does it take to turn the handle? Let's put it this way, wouldn't it be far better use of that coordination to get better action off your lures so you get more strikes?

Actually, from a physiological standpoint it probably takes more coordination to reel than it does to work a lure unless you're fishing bucktails all the time and just winding, there's a lot going on with your reel hand compared to the simple movements that happen with your rod hand. Fine motor skills and dexterity with your dominant hand is going to be better, period. Fine motor skills and dexterity isn't important in manipulating any muskie lure that I've ever seen.

gregk9
Posted 7/19/2013 12:27 PM (#652631 - in reply to #651673)

What Will said.
muskie! nut
Posted 7/19/2013 12:38 PM (#652633 - in reply to #652623)

"Actually, from a physiological standpoint it probably takes more coordination to reel than it does to work a lure ."

Probably???? Anybody else think they believe this?
Posted 7/19/2013 12:41 PM (#652634 - in reply to #652633)

muskie! nut - 7/19/2013 12:38 PM

"Actually, from a physiological standpoint it probably takes more coordination to reel than it does to work a lure ."

Probably???? Anybody else think they believe this?

Yes, it makes pretty good sense. Try to write with your dominant hand and then try to write with your other hand. Then try to work a bait with either arm. I am guessing the difference in your writing will be greater than the difference in bait movement.
mrt
Posted 7/19/2013 12:57 PM (#652641 - in reply to #651673)

hand switching anglers advice look as bad as they look when they fish
mrt
Posted 7/19/2013 12:59 PM (#652642 - in reply to #652623)

Will Schultz - 7/19/2013 11:21 AM

muskie! nut - 7/19/2013 8:21 AM
gregk9 - 7/18/2013 11:10 PM I like my more coordinated hand (right) to be the cranking hand. That's my logical reason why.

Actually, from a physiological standpoint it probably takes more coordination to reel than it does to work a lure unless you're fishing bucktails all the time and just winding, there's a lot going on with your reel hand compared to the simple movements that happen with your rod hand. Fine motor skills and dexterity with your dominant hand is going to be better, period. Fine motor skills and dexterity isn't important in manipulating any muskie lure that I've ever seen.

so illogical....
make the effort to fish normally ,end of story
FAT-SKI
Posted 7/19/2013 1:30 PM (#652647 - in reply to #652634)

Guest - 7/19/2013 12:41 PM

muskie! nut - 7/19/2013 12:38 PM

"Probably???? Anybody else think they believe this?"

"Yes, it makes pretty good sense. Try to write with your dominant hand and then try to write with your other hand. Then try to work a bait with either arm. I am guessing the difference in your writing will be greater than the difference in bait movement."

--
Maybe for you the difference would be bigger, but not for me. My writing sucks in either hand. but I know for a FACT that I have literally NO coordination what so ever in my left arm. Thats why simple tactic baits are used in my left arm. ie. bucktails and rubber (when I throw it) otherwise the majority of anything that needs to be jerked or twitched needs to be in my right arm to have it do anything i want it to do.

But it is all a matter of opinion. IMHO they should make more left handed reels.... WILL THEY? probably not... But the ones that do, will get more of my business then the ones that don't. So it is up to the company to figure out what they think is worth it.

There is no right or "left" anwser to this question.
muskie! nut
Posted 7/19/2013 1:33 PM (#652648 - in reply to #652634)

Yes, it makes pretty good sense. Try to write with your dominant hand and then try to write with your other hand. Then try to work a bait with either arm. I am guessing the difference in your writing will be greater than the difference in bait movement.

A better analysis would be, having your non-dominate hand being able to do something and see if your dominate one can do it. Not only can your dominate hand do it, it should be able to do it better.

Actually you can teach yourself to use either hand, whether its writing, fishing, batting, etc. But many already know how to fish using their right hand when they start out using a spinning rod like I did 40 yrs ago. But one thing for sure, I have outfished guys from the back of the boat by imparting better action on my lures then the guy up front - even once using the same bait.
BenR
Posted 7/19/2013 1:54 PM (#652650 - in reply to #652648)

muskie! nut - 7/19/2013 1:33 PM

A better analysis would be, having your non-dominate hand being able to do something and see if your dominate one can do it. Not only can your dominate hand do it, it should be able to do it better.

Actually you can teach yourself to use either hand, whether its writing, fishing, batting, etc. But many already know how to fish using their right hand when they start out using a spinning rod like I did 40 yrs ago. But one thing for sure, I have outfished guys from the back of the boat by imparting better action on my lures then the guy up front - even once using the same bait.

You out fished him because of what arm you were using:-) I can write with both hands, at the same time even, good bar trick. Doesn't matter what hand you use, just more options if you use the right hand model. Super easy to cast with left arm. BR
MikeCf
Posted 7/19/2013 2:07 PM (#652654 - in reply to #651673)

I'm right handed and crank with the right on baitcasters and spinning reels. The only good reason I can come up with is probably the 50 zebco 202 and 404 reels I went through as a kid were all right handed cranks.
RStien321
Posted 7/19/2013 4:10 PM (#652676 - in reply to #651673)

I chuckle every time I read a discussion ridiculing someone for switching hands when they cast. Aside from a few applications (flipping and very short distance pitching are the only two i can think of), most people can easily switch rod hands while the lure is in the air with zero problems. I can think of several top muskie anglers who switch hands. People go all self-righteous when someone doesn't fish the "right way."

The marketing people at Shimano have apparently identified that a suitable market does not exist for their large saltwater reels (Trinidad, Tranx, Tiagra, ect) In a left hand config. Production cost, forecasting, inventory, and tooling all come with a cost - I would be curious to see the volume breakdown on left hand vs right hand for bait casters in the various market spaces (100-200 sizes, 300-400 size, ect).
oconesox
Posted 7/19/2013 7:43 PM (#652700 - in reply to #651673)

I'm just guessing, but I'm thinking that they started with all baitcasters with the crank on the right because there was no anti-reverse or drag. Therefore you would want your stronger hand reeling. Just a guess...
Ralidan
Posted 7/19/2013 10:24 PM (#652721 - in reply to #652676)

RStien321 - 7/19/2013 4:10 PM

I chuckle every time I read a discussion ridiculing someone for switching hands when they cast. Aside from a few applications (flipping and very short distance pitching are the only two i can think of), most people can easily switch rod hands while the lure is in the air with zero problems. I can think of several top muskie anglers who switch hands. People go all self-righteous when someone doesn't fish the "right way."

The marketing people at Shimano have apparently identified that a suitable market does not exist for their large saltwater reels (Trinidad, Tranx, Tiagra, ect) In a left hand config. Production cost, forecasting, inventory, and tooling all come with a cost - I would be curious to see the volume breakdown on left hand vs right hand for bait casters in the various market spaces (100-200 sizes, 300-400 size, ect).

And that's really what i'm trying to get to the bottom of here, Stien....

I suspect that if Shimano would make those reels in -only- left-hand crank, they would sell just as many, or more, of those reels (at least to Musky fisherman).

For the record, i'm not saying people who switch hands are "doing it wrong". I'm saying, from a personal standpoint, I think it sucks and is unnecessary. But in addition, I -want- to hold the rod in my right hand and crank with the left for the exact same reasons Musky-Nut laid out - it's easier for me to jig, twitch, swim, jerk, and set the hook with my right hand.

Will Schultz - 7/19/2013 11:21 AM

Actually, from a physiological standpoint it probably takes more coordination to reel than it does to work a lure 

Sorry Will, but I have to disagree with you here. Maybe not so much from a finesse standpoint, but from a strength standpoint. Try to pitch a baseball or throw a football with your left hand. Can you do it? Sure. But I bet not as far. Does that make you a weenie? That's for you do decide...

More proof: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epgH-Tkc7HQ

^^^ Read the comments to this video ^^^
Will Schultz
Posted 7/22/2013 9:12 AM (#652982 - in reply to #652721)

Ralidan - 7/19/2013 11:24 PM
RStien321 - 7/19/2013 4:10 PM I chuckle every time 
 Sorry Will, but I have to disagree with you here. Maybe not so much from a finesse standpoint, but from a strength standpoint. Try to pitch a baseball or throw a football with your left hand. Can you do it? Sure. But I bet not as far. Does that make you a weenie? That's for you do decide...

Hmm... In baseball and football throwing is mostly coordination and form. Strength really isn't as important, if it was wouldn't baseball pitchers and QB's all look like offensive linemen? 

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)