Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Newbie Question

Message Subject: Newbie Question
bljc30
Posted 8/26/2014 1:30 PM (#727112)
Subject: Newbie Question

What is everyone's preference for the reel gear to style of bait?

5 gear for big blades?
6 gear for cranks & glides?
7 gear for topwater?

Thinking about getting a new reel and I have it narrowed down to the reel that's in my budget. I'm just not sure which gear to go with.

Thanks
FISHFINDER101
Posted 8/26/2014 1:54 PM (#727125 - in reply to #727112)
Subject: Re: Newbie Question

Thats probably about right, depending on who you ask. There's more to it than just gear ratio though. My suggestion would be to search "gear ratio" or like words, with the search tool for the tackle and equipment forum for last six months since you said your new to this site. There is a ton of information on just about all reel related topics.
Brad P
Posted 8/26/2014 3:22 PM (#727142 - in reply to #727112)

I get what you are asking, however, I'd consider that speed is a question to answer when it comes to reels, but not the only question. Other factors are drag quality, overall durability (in terms of musky applications), and power or torque. Also consider that different lures are going to need different things. What really shines with 10s might be complete overkill for a pacemaker, etc.

If i were you, I'd try to get out with sombody who has the reels you are looking at and work some baits across the spectrum to get a feel for what does what and what makes the most sense for you. People on here can tell you all day that this reel is great for that, but you do not always get their perspective nor do you know what they have and have not tried. IMO, this question is best answerd out on the lake, hands on.

dami0101
Posted 8/26/2014 4:30 PM (#727159 - in reply to #727112)

It’s not just about gear ratio, it’s also about IPT(inches per turn). Different reels with the same/similar gear ratios can have very different IPT’s. A Tranx PG has a ratio of 4.6:1 and 30 IPT. A Toro Winch also has a 4.6:1 ratio, but comes in at 22 IPT. A NACL 6.4 has an IPT of 31, slightly faster than the Tranx PG, but it’s going to be more work to bring in the same baits as compared to the Tranx. What you want to do is find the combination of gear and IPT that best fits what you are looking for and think about what best fits the intended application.re looking for.
bljc30
Posted 8/26/2014 6:07 PM (#727172 - in reply to #727112)
Subject: RE: Newbie Question

Thanks for all of the advice.
Here is my situation. I have 3 setups.
1- abu record 50
1- abu 5600 c4
1- older abu c3
I haven't really thrown big blades very much, but when I do it's normally 8's or 9's. After doing that a few times, I now need to replace the old C3.
I have been looking at the Lexa 300 (because I have hands like a 10 year old girl) lol
They have them on Ebay for $140. I'm not sure which gear ratio to go with, given that I rarely throw big blades or bulldawgs.

Any ideas?
achotrod
Posted 8/26/2014 9:10 PM (#727200 - in reply to #727112)

There is a couple nice barely used NACL 5.4s spooled already for under 200 shipped in the classifieds right here. I would go that way over the LEXA 300s and I have both NACLs and LEXAs. The LEXA is a nice reel if you have to buy new. If your throwing blades get the 5.1 ratio
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)