Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> burning bucktails fast, (bulging, just under the surface)

Message Subject: burning bucktails fast, (bulging, just under the surface)
Muskie Bob
Posted 6/29/2014 9:37 AM (#718297)
Subject: burning bucktails fast, (bulging, just under the surface)

Does bulging produce more than just burning bucktails? It seems like once some bucktails are bulging the speed can be slowed a little or they might break out on the surface. Perhaps, that maybe just me and the bucktail I am using. Anyway, should I do more bulging?

I'm wondering when it is best to bugle a bucktail and which bucktails are best for bulging? What size of blades (single or double) seem to work best?

Basically, does bulging a bucktail work best for you? If so, what type of bucktail works best for bulging. Thanks.
cast4musky
Posted 6/29/2014 10:31 AM (#718303 - in reply to #718297)
Subject: Re: burning bucktails fast, (bulging, just under the surface)

For me bulging is the better producer, Not when straight retrieved but pumped a little causing the bait to open and close like a squid propels itself.....Mike Sr
tyler k
Posted 6/29/2014 11:43 AM (#718309 - in reply to #718297)

I don't know that one is fundamentally superior to the other.

As far as best for bulging, blade size vs weight is what counts so a big blade/light weight bait. Mepps Musky Marabou works well, and I don't know if they still make them but Skimmer used to have a bucktail with a #8 colorado blade and light weight that I used to do well on (unfortunately that bait was lost). If you roll your own (and I do) use a #7 or #8 colorado for lift, a light lure body (1/4oz or just beads) and a worm weight or egg sinker (1/2 oz or so). When I make baits for burning, I use Indiana blades and at least 3/4 oz of weight--it will stay sub surface at greater speed. For double blades I use more weight (for both).
Matt DeVos
Posted 6/29/2014 12:38 PM (#718316 - in reply to #718297)

Different time/place for each method for me. I really like to bulge the blades around dawn or dusk when the lake is laid down, or where there's only a slight ripple. I'm usually on a known productive spot at those times, so I'm typically fishing a bit more slowly/thoroughly. The surface wake seems to be an added attractor under those circumstances.

Burning is something a bit different for me where, as Tyler mentions you're covering ground faster with a heavier bait or with blades that don't have as much lift as a colorado. More of a search method than a finesse method, but that's not always the case. During the day, while burning, I prefer to have the bait moving really fast, but not too high in the water column such that its necessarily bulging or blowing out. Hence the heavier blades/bait.
esox69
Posted 6/30/2014 9:52 AM (#718452 - in reply to #718316)

Tyler k... try The Flowage Boa, that's what you want
TheYoungGun_
Posted 7/1/2014 8:36 AM (#718641 - in reply to #718452)

Corey Meyer of Flowage Boa makes some awesome baits, I got the privilege to use quite a few different types and blade combinations and I love them all!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)